The Palm Springs International ShortFest -- now in its 22nd year -- is one of the largest showcase of short films in North America. The seven day competitive festival screens approximately 330 films from 47 countries in a series of 90 minute programs, as well as a concurrent Palm Springs International ShortFest Online Film Festival. The Festival has twenty competitive categories with prize money, film stock and production services valued over $70,000.00 to be awarded for first and second places in addition to a "Best of Festival" award and a "Future Filmmaker" award. All first place winners in the non-student Live Action and Animation categories, and the Best of the Fest Award winner will automatically become eligible for nomination consideration by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in the short film categories.
Palm Springs ShortFest no longer prioritizes premiere status when selecting films for competition.
ShortFest Film Market
All films submitted, whether screened in the Festival or not, are automatically included in the Market. The Market runs concurrently with the Festival and consists 25 viewing stations open to accredited sales agents, distributors and other industry representatives. The Market is not considered a public screening and does not affect a film's premiere status.
Please note the screener you include in your submission is the screener that will be available at the Market. If you are submitting a "work in progress," it is your responsibility to update your final screener.
If you would like to opt out of the Market, please contact the Programming Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards & Prizes
The Festival has twenty competitive categories with prize money, film stock and production services valued over $70,000.00 to be awarded for first and second places in addition to a "Best of Festival" award and a "Future Filmmaker" award. All first place winners in the non-student Live Action and Animation categories, and the Best of the Fest Award winner will automatically become eligible for nomination consideration by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in the short film categories.
Rules & Terms
Films must have been completed in 2015 or 2016.
Films must be no more than 40 minutes in length including credits.
If selected, films must be available for projection in DCP.
All non-English language films must have English language subtitles.
If the film has been viewed on the internet or national broadcast, cable or satellite television, or has had a public screening in the Palm Springs area prior to the Festival screening. (press screening and/or cast/crew screening is not considered a public screening); then it is only eligible for the Online Film Festival category.
Online Screener must be uploaded no later than the deadline date to qualify for the respective entry fees.
For Student entries, a photocopy of an official student ID or a letter from the school must be sent with the entry submission as proof of student status when the film was made.
Changing the screening format from what is listed on the application is not permissible.
Films accepted into the festival must arrive with shipping, customs duties and taxes pre-paid, by June 1, 2016.
IF SELECTED, a digital press kit must be provided with the items below:
-At least two (2) publicity stills from the film titled with name of film labeled FilmTitle 1 of 2, etc.
-Full production credits and director's biography
-Film synopsis 50 words
CHECK MUST BE IN US DOLLARS drawn on a US Bank. NO NON-US CHECKS ACCEPTED
You will be able to check that we have received your materials by checking your FilmFreeway account.
When you provide a check as payment, you authorize PSIFF either to use information from your check to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account or to process the payment as a check transaction.
NO FEE WAIVERS - please don't ask.
1. The print source will be responsible for the cost of print shipment to the festival, including any custom duties or charges. PSIFSF, in turn, will return the print shipping pre-paid to the supplier or to the next destination as indicated by the supplier at the festival's conclusion. The PSIFSF will not be responsible for any custom duties or charges. Foreign entrants, please be sure to include "temporary import/cultural exchange" and "no commercial value" on your paperwork.
2. The festival handles prints with the utmost of care and provides insurance of loss or damage to a maximum value of US$400.00 (or cost of replacement, whichever is less). The festival does not provide extra insurance for originals or masters.
3. Permission for the festival to use excerpts of each submitted film, not to exceed 3 minutes, for promotional purposes is considered granted upon submission - including trailers/clips on the festival's YouTube channel.
4. Participation in PSIFSF implies understanding and acceptance of above regulations and requirements of this application.
5. The Festival reserves the right to complete any information not supplied by the filmmaker from whatever source available and will not be responsible if incorrect information is entered.
I have read and accept the above regulations.