DOKer was created 7 years ago to bring wonderful independent documentary films from all over the world to the Russian audience and provide a discussion platform for authors, experts and spectators.
The principles of DOKer are:
- When we say 'documentary film' we put the emphasis on ‘film'.
- There are countless ways to make a documentary but we believe it has to be dramatic and interesting.
- Image and sound are as important for docs as they are for fiction films. The film language is universal, and we use it to tell our stories.
DOKer has already seen 11 seasons in 6 major cities located in central Russia (Moscow, Yaroslavl, Saint Petersburg), Ural (Yekaterinburg), Caucasus (Vladikavkaz) and Siberia (Krasnoyarsk).
We have had more than 400 screenings.
Awards & Prizes
- Jury Award for the Best Feature Documentary
- Jury Award for the Best Short Documentary
- Jury Award for the Best Directing
- Jury Award for the Best Cinematography
- Jury Award for the Best Editing
- Jury Award for the Best Sound
- Audience Award for the Best Feature Documentary
- Additional prizes
Rules & Terms
DOKer seeks theatrical style documentaries. We tend towards new films that have received minimal exposure in Russia. The Russian premiere required for all foreign films in the competition programs.
A version of the film with English subtitles, exception to be made for English spoken films.
Short and feature length documentaries can compete. All the selected films will be screened with English subtitles and with Russian subtitles (the last one made by DOKer).
Our programming favors feature length films, although we do have a short competitive section.