To champion short filmmaking and strive to award quality shorts regardless of their budget. We want to ensure indie filmmakers have the opportunity for festival success and will award additional points to shorts produced on a micro budget or minimal crew.
Canada Shorts works hard to recognize quality filmmaking and we offer Awards to 100+ short films per season.
All films that receive an award will receive both an Official Selection laurel as well as an award laurel.
To see our 2017 Awards and placings, see:
To see our 2016 Awards and placings, see:
To see our 2015 Awards and placings, see:
We champion short filmmaking and strive to award quality shorts regardless of their budget:
• Best Short / Grand Prize
• Best Canadian Short
• Best International Short
• Best Drama
• Best Action/Adventure
• Best Comedy/Romcoms
• Best Crime/Suspense
• Best Family/Animated
• Best Thriller/Horror
• Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy
• Best Documentary
• Best Experimental Film
• Best Director
• Best Writing
• Best Cinematography
• Best Music Score
• Official Finalists
• Awards of Excellence
• Awards of Distinction
• Awards of Commendation
• Awards of Merit
• Honorable Mentions
• We accept Canadian and International shorts.
• Maximum film length 30 minutes (we have no minimum length).
• Films in languages other than English will only be accepted with English subtitles.
CANADIAN SHORTS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for entry in the Canadian Short category, your film must have been shot in Canada, OR the director or screenwriter must be Canadian.
INTERNATIONAL SHORTS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
If your short was not shot in Canada, or your director/writer are not Canadian then please enter it under our International Short category.
All submissions will be viewed in their entirety by at least three judges. Submissions will be judged and scored based on criteria including: quality of screenplay (story, dialogue, character arcs etc), acting, production quality, originality, technical proficiency, cinematography, sound design, editing, location/s used and set design. We support indie filmmaking and will award additional points to shorts produced on a micro budget and/or minimal crew.
SCREENING FOR SELECTED SHORTS
Your selection and award classification will be posted on our website, and eventually our Archive section. Canada Shorts works hard to recognize quality filmmaking and tends to offer Awards to 100+ short films per season. That is considerably more than we could possibly screen. What we can and do screen are all 'Premier' Award winners including 'Best Of' winners.
Canada Shorts will screen all 'Premier Award' winners including 'Best Of' winners.
We may also screen some shorts outside these award placings that deeply impress our selection committee.
The 2018 festival will screen in the the elegant Mary Oland Theatre of the New Brunswick Museum.
If your short is selected for exhibition we will inform you. We will also send you an exhibition file request email. You will need to provide an HD (1920 x 1080) exhibition file.
Canada Shorts is an IMDB qualifying festival.
Canada Shorts is an environmentally aware and carbon neutral film festival. We do not send physical mail - please make certain the email address in your entry form is correct. Canada Shorts is not liable for emails delayed by spam filters, server rejections or outdated email addresses.
==> For our complete FAQ, Eligibility requirements, Rules & Terms please visit our website:
We work hard to keep our submission fees as low as possible (e.g. $10 early bird entry) – consequently we cannot provide fee waivers.
RULES & TERMS
• The depiction of animal abuse whether real or implied is not acceptable and will lead to automatic disqualification and loss of entry fee.
• Canada Shorts has no festival premiere eligibility requirements. Shorts that have screened at other festivals are still eligible.
• Canada Shorts has no public or internet broadcast eligibility requirements. If your short has screened on Vimeo etc, it is still eligible.
• Changes to submitted films will only be accepted if accompanied by a new submission fee.
• The decision of the selection committee is final.
• Stills of selected films may also be shown on the Festival website and publicity/promo material including press releases, festival brochures and other materials.
• All entry fees are non-refundable.
• Entrants are responsible for securing all rights and permissions from copyright and other holders relating to their short.
• Canada Shorts reserves the right to update or modify these terms and policies without prior notice.
• After selection, notification letters will be sent electronically.
• Canada Shorts does not accept trailers or rough assemblies but will accept work-in-progress cuts (picture lock with temp sound, color, etc.). Please be aware Canada Shorts will not view multiple updates/versions of your film for programming consideration.