SUPERNOVA DIGITAL ANIMATION FESTIVAL
Supernova Digital Animation Festival brings an explosion of digital animation and motion-art to tens of thousands of Colorado residents & International visitors. Supernova is presented annually within the Denver Performing Arts Complex, on dedicated downtown LED displays, and throughout a vast network of distinguished community partner hosts. Supernova is presented by Denver Digerati, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Supernova programming highlights include:
- 2020 Theme: World on Fire
- Multiple LED screens presenting content continuously in downtown Denver + auxiliary screen hosts throughout the community.
- Competitions featuring approximately $5,000 in total prize money.
- Night Lights Denver Video Mapping Commissions presented in conjunction with Denver Theatre District, throughout the month of September (NEW 2020)
- Continued collaboration with Momentum Festival Toledo, running programs simultaneously with Denver Festival.
- Additional Digital Motion-Art activations, Education Forum, Performance Jam and Discovery Center.
- Free for the public.
Visit supernovadenver.com for a comprehensive view of our previous year's programs and activations.
Supernova launched the first of its kind streaming channel in conjunction with the 2019 festival. The consumer app features the majority of content that has been shown at Supernova since 2016 up to the present festival. More information and subscriptions can be found at www. supernova.video
Supernova utilizes a robust network developed over ten years of unique programming by host Denver Digerati that has brought advances in digital animation and motion art to a network of public LED screens situated in Denver’s downtown core as a dynamic, immersive public art viewing experience. The program promotes the rapidly advancing impact technology is having in art throughout the world today in an exciting and radically innovative context.
SUPERNOVA is presented by Denver Digerati a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization supporting the mission to advance digital motion-art through exhibition and education, accelerating the merger of art and technology. Learn more at denverdigerati.org
Supernova is funded through sponsorships with the Denver Theatre District, Denver Arts & Venues / Next Stage NOW, The Arts Commission Toledo, CU Denver College of Arts & Media, Colorado Office of Film Television & Media, Orange Barrel Media, Branded Cities, and with a Grant from Bonfils Stanton Foundation. Additional sponsors and community partnerships to be announced in Summer of 2020.
Keep informed about updates to the festival via Denver Digerati on Facebook or sign up for our newsletter at denverdigerati.org
View our epic 32 minute 2018 documentary collage, representing the full scope of Supernova at:
SUPERNOVA Competition Awards
$1,500 cash prize + Supernova 3d printed Trophy
$1,000 cash prize + Supernova 3d printed Trophy
$500 cash prize + Supernova 3d printed Trophy
$250 cash prize for two honorable mentions
SUPERNOVA Director's Choice Award
$1,000 cash prize + Supernova 3d printed Trophy
SUPERNOVA Student Showcase Award
$500 cash prize
Previous festival award recipients are not eligible for awards two years in a row, but may still submit content for Superonova's curated programs.
HISTORY OF AWARDS
Competition Grand Prize
Eli Ayres / Standard Operating Procedure
Director's Choice Award
Jack Wedge / Goodbye Mommy
Student Showcase Award
Kamal Adisa / Paradise Island
Audience Vote Award
Sara Roth / Whirligig
2016 - 2019 Awards
SUPERNOVA Grand Prize
2018 Winner: Jeron Braxton / Octane
2017 Winner: Max Hattler / Divisional Articulation
2016 Winner: Peter Burr / The Mess
GALAXY 2nd Prize
2018 Winner: Sean Capone / The Sky Report
2017 Winner: Jack Wedge / Tennessee
2016 Winner: Raquel Meyers / Vladijenk II
(The corroded mainframe at Tartarus edition)
STAR 3rd Prize
2018 Winner: Ryan Wurst / Don't Make Out
2017 Winner: Nikita Diakur / Ugly
2016 Winner: Alan Warburton / Soft Crash
2018 HB - John Butler / The Dependency Loop
2018 HB - Eli Ayres / Ackerman in Flux
2017 HB - Seishi Irimajiri / Bordeline
2017 HB - Emily Sasmor / Strangers Cowboys
2016 HB - Kendra Fleischman / String Ballet
2016 HB - Birch Cooper / Ornamental Threshold Release
DEADLINES & FEES
- Early entry is by May 15th, 2020
- First entry at $15. Additional second entry at $10
- Works entered by early deadline may be sampled up to 30 seconds for advance ads or our various “Flash” programs presented on our public LED screens.
- Final deadline for all entries is by July 15th, 2020.
- Entries after May 15th at $25 each.
GENERAL RULES & TERMS
1. Supernova will accept submissions from anywhere in the universe. All submissions should be suitable for display in a public context (except where noted above), please review Denver Digerati history for suitability purposes.
2. Supernova is only accepting works built primarily through digital means and techniques, please no “live-action” works unless they integrate appropriately with a digital interface. Supernova will showcase the best digital animation being created in the world across a variety of categories.
3. Submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length except where noted.
4. All submissions must have been completed no earlier than 2019. Priority will be given to new works that are not yet available for viewing online until after the festival takes place. Supernova may consider “works in progress” that are not fully complete before the deadline, if so noted.
5. Supernova LED screens have variable frame ratios. Festival entries will be formatted with black masking for presentations as necessary .
6. Works must be submitted as digital files in .mov format at highest quality of resolution available. Vimeo Links also accepted for review purposes.
7. Artists may submit up to two works for consideration.
8. Artists selected for the festival programming or competition will be notified via email upon acceptance. Denver Digerati will produce artist title screen credit for all accepted works.
9. Program schedule will be announced in early September 2020, in advance of the festival. The best place to follow SUPERNOVA is on the Denver Digerati Facebook page and on Supernova Instagram.
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Artist acknowledges they either own all visual and audio assets submitted in their work, or have secured the rights to use them royalty-free. Artist further agrees to indemnify Supernova from any liability relating to such rights as it relates to Supernova promoting, showing or distributing this video.
Any documents, files, photos or other material submitted will not be returned and will remain in the property of Denver Digerati / Supernova Media, LLC, as part of its content archive.
Denver Digerati curated programs and content reels are intended for public display or presentation in appropriate settings throughout the world.
For this purpose the artist / license holder herewith grants Denver Digerati the non-exclusive public and non-public exhibition right to present the work in the Supernova screening program, at selected conference locations, in the online archives, the Supernova App, and partnering curated screening programs.
The artist / license holder's rights to the work remain completely unaffected, especially the right to reproduce and distribute or otherwise make use of it. Denver Digerati solely asks for the right to include the material in its own curated programs and online apps with appropriate art reference clearly indicated.
Submission of the material grants Denver Digerati the right to feature samples and stills for promotional purposes of Supernova reference on any public facing and online media.
By entering you certify that you hold all necessary rights for the submission of material and agree to the SUPERNOVA Submission rules.
If any may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our FilmFreeway cover image features an animation by Esstro9 featured at the 2019 festival competition screening.