SUPERNOVA DIGITAL ANIMATION FESTIVAL
"WORLD ON FIRE"
Submissions are now closed, we are incredibly humbled and inspired by the artist response this year. Digital Animation is the new wave, and its building!
SUPERNOVA Digital Animation Festival brings an explosion of digital animation and motion-art to thousands of Colorado residents, International visitors through a singular, extensive network of LED displays located within the downtown Denver Theatre District, and to animation enthusiasts worldwide through the festival’s streaming app. SUPERNOVA is presented by Denver Digerati a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization supporting the mission to advance digital motion-art through exhibition and education, accelerating the merger of art and technology. Learn more at denverdigerati.org
SUPERNOVA presents short-form animation and motion-art created by individual artists or teams using computer software as the focal development of their work. Longer form animations are also welcome for consideration. All works must be suitable for public presentation. Genres are not limited but tend toward narrative, abstract, experimental, playful, mind-bending, gaming/machinema, music video, educational, documentary, etc…… A special program devoted to this year’s theme “World on Fire” will feature animations that reflect the need for a much greater collective consciousness within society across all parameters. Artists working with adult themes may be considered for the annual “Overdrive - Adults Only Animation” program, presented within an indoor screening venue as well as online (curated by Faiyaz Jafri).
Watch our Call for Entries video at https://vimeo.com/406925694
Supernova awards prize money currently totaling $5,000 to select works determined by guest jurors in the Festival’s annual Competition program, as well as additional programs such as Director’s Choice, Student Shorts and possibly other categories to be determined after submissions are finalized. 2020 Jurors to be announced by September 1st.
Supernova collaborates with different partner venues and screens throughout the community with special screenings, curated programs/exhibitions and official selections. In 2019 Supernova initiated a partnership with The Arts Commission to present Supernova programming at the annual Momentum Festival in Toledo, held concurrently with the festival dates in Denver.
Artist wishing to propose a special project for one of our many “Silent screen” locations that are part of the festival’s outdoor LED infrastructure throughout downtown Denver may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details regarding concept submissions.
Additional highlights to be featured at Supernova 2020 include:
- Night Lights Denver Video Mapping Commissions presented in conjunction with Denver Theatre District, throughout the month of September (NEW 2020)
- Digital Discovery Lab located in close proximity to the Festival’s feature LED screen at the Denver Performing Arts Complex.
- Education Forum featuring artist interviews and profiles from Supernova past and present.
- Digital Performance Jam evening at The Armory, a new venue in the River North Arts District with an advanced AV infrastructure.
- Gifathon presented on the 14th and Champa feature LED screen.
The majority of Supernova programming is presented free to the public. Visit supernovadenver.com for a comprehensive view of our previous year's programs and activations.
Supernova utilizes a robust network developed over ten years of unique programming by host Denver Digerati that has brought advances in digital animation and motion art to a network of public LED screens situated in Denver’s downtown core as a dynamic, immersive public art viewing experience. The program promotes the rapidly advancing impact technology is having in art throughout the world today in an exciting and radically innovative context.
Supernova is funded through sponsorships with the Denver Theatre District, Denver Arts & Venues / Next Stage NOW, The Arts Commission Toledo, Colorado Office of Film Television & Media, Orange Barrel Media, Branded Cities, and with a Grant from Bonfils Stanton Foundation. Additional sponsors and community partnerships to be announced in Summer of 2020.
Keep informed about updates to the festival via Denver Digerati on Facebook or sign up for our newsletter at denverdigerati.org
View a massive collection of video documents related to the festival through Denver Digerati on Vimeo
A full range of work that Supernova supports can be accessed on our Streaming app at www.supernova.video
FilmFreeway cover photo is a still from Gabriela Ilijeska's 2019 Competition entry "1.9E377"
SUPERNOVA will award cash-prizes in the following categories:
Director's Choice curated program
Others TBD as funding allows.
Previous festival award recipients are not eligible for awards two years in a row, but may still submit content for Superonova's curated programs.
HISTORY OF AWARDS
Competition Grand Prize
Eli Ayres / Standard Operating Procedure
Director's Choice Award
Jack Wedge / Goodbye Mommy
Student Showcase Award
Kamal Adisa / Paradise Island
Audience Vote Award
Sara Roth / Whirligig
2016 - 2019 Awards
SUPERNOVA Grand Prize
2018 Winner: Jeron Braxton / Octane
2017 Winner: Max Hattler / Divisional Articulation
2016 Winner: Peter Burr / The Mess
GALAXY 2nd Prize
2018 Winner: Sean Capone / The Sky Report
2017 Winner: Jack Wedge / Tennessee
2016 Winner: Raquel Meyers / Vladijenk II
(The corroded mainframe at Tartarus edition)
STAR 3rd Prize
2018 Winner: Ryan Wurst / Don't Make Out
2017 Winner: Nikita Diakur / Ugly
2016 Winner: Alan Warburton / Soft Crash
2018 HB - John Butler / The Dependency Loop
2018 HB - Eli Ayres / Ackerman in Flux
2017 HB - Seishi Irimajiri / Bordeline
2017 HB - Emily Sasmor / Strangers Cowboys
2016 HB - Kendra Fleischman / String Ballet
2016 HB - Birch Cooper / Ornamental Threshold Release
DEADLINES & FEES
- Early submission deadline is May 31st, 2020.
- Early submissions are $10 each. Artists may submit up to two entries. Submissions after May 31st are $20 each.
- Final deadline for all submissions is by July 31st, 2020.
- The Supernova program schedule will be announced early September 2020.
- Follow us: Denver Digerati Facebook page, Supernova Instagram or www.denverdigerati.org for more information.
GENERAL RULES & TERMS
Denver Digerati is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with its signature project, the Supernova Digital Animation Festival (“Supernova”). Denver Digerati’s mission is to advance digital motion-based art through exhibition and education, accelerating the merger of art and technology.
1. Supernova will accept an Artist (“Artist”) submission (“Submission”) from anywhere in the universe. All Submissions must be suitable for public display. Artists may submit up to two Submissions for consideration. Submissions must be at least 2 minutes in length.
2. Supernova will only accept Submissions built primarily through digital means and techniques. Please don’t send “live-action” works unless they integrate appropriately with a digital interface. Supernova will showcase the best digital motion-based art animations created in the world across a variety of categories and genres.
3. Submissions must be the original work of the Artist. Artists are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, and copyrights. Denver Digerati expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
4. All Submissions must have been completed no earlier than 2019. Priority will be given to new works that are not yet available for viewing online until after the Supernova takes place. Supernova may consider “works in progress” that are not fully complete before the deadline, if so noted.
5. Artists selected for the Supernova Festival programming or competition will be notified via email upon acceptance in early September 2020. Denver Digerati will produce Artist title screen credit for all accepted works. All Submissions accepted into Supernova may be sampled for advance festival promotions presented online and through Supernova’s public LED screens.
6. Supernova LED screens have variable frame ratios. Supernova Submissions will be formatted with black masking for presentations as necessary. Submissions must be as digital files in .mov format at highest quality of resolution available. Vimeo Links also accepted for review purposes.
7. Artist represents and warrants that Submissions are wholly original; that Artist has sole ownership of all Submissions and, therefore, has the full unrestricted right, power and authority to participate in Supernova; that no rights of Submissions have heretofore been sold, assigned, licensed or otherwise transferred to any other person, firm or corporation; that said rights are free and clear of any and all liens or claims whatsoever; and, that Submissions are completely protected by copyright in the United States.
8. Artist agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Denver Digerati and the Supernova Festival, together with each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, attorneys, creative advisors, agents and representatives (collectively, “Denver Digerati Related Parties”), from and against any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that may be asserted by any person or entity, or may be incurred by any Denver Digerati Related Parties, at any time in connection with the Artist Submission or Denver Digerati’s use, handling, consideration or exhibition thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by Artist to Denver Digerati Related Parties, including, without limitation, any express or implied representation in these Terms and Conditions.
9. In the event that the Artist Submission is accepted by Denver Digerati for inclusion in and exhibition at Supernova, Artist thereby grants to Denver Digerati the following rights without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use all digital assets associate with the Submission, including, but not limited to, any representation of the Submission in the form of video files, still images, assets streamed via the Internet, and/or all other assets and information provided by the Artist for use by Denver Digerati in its non-profit mission and programs to advance digital motion-based art through exhibition and education, accelerating the merger of art and technology; (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity or promotional purposes concerning the Artist and the Submission to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information; and, (c) the right to provide Artist and Submission information to creative industry or organizations that sponsor Supernova events.
10. Any Artist documents, files, photos or other material submitted will not be returned and will remain in the property of Denver Digerati / Supernova Media, LLC, as part of its Artist content archive. Denver Digerati curated programs and content reels are intended for public display or presentation in appropriate settings throughout the world. For this purpose the Artist herewith grants Denver Digerati the non-exclusive public and non-public exhibition right to present the work in the Supernova screening program, at selected conference locations, in the online archives, the Supernova App, and partnering curated and educational screening programs. The Artist retains the right to reproduce and distribute or otherwise make use of Artist Submission. Denver Digerati does not retain any rights to sell an Artist Submission for profit use; but rather, the right to include Artist Submission material in its own curated programs and online apps with appropriate art reference clearly indicated.
If any may be addressed to email@example.com
Response from festival:
Thank you Geoff, we really appreciate your comments and acknowledgement of our efforts, you're framed it so well and that means a lot during this incredibly challenging year. It was an honor to have Metro6 in our festival competition, it was truly one of the standout efforts of this or any other year. We can't wait to see what's next for you, cheers!
Response from festival:
Thanks so much Patrick, it was a pleasure to present your work this year, we are so proud of all the artists in Supernova and in particular how our theme World on Fire resonated with everyone's work. Really appreciate your comments, we hope to continue the charge forward. Cheers