Youth for Global Health & Social Justice Short Film Festival promotes storytelling by young people about the global water crisis. By presenting multiple points of view the festival unlocks delicate doors into those most impacted by climate change, highlighting concerns of our time that resonate with global audiences.
Submissions will be accepted from the following age groups:
17 and under
International Youth Day is commemorated every year on 12 August, bringing youth issues to the international community's attention and celebrating the potential of young people as partners in today's global society.
Youth for Global Health & Social Justice will give young filmmakers from around the world an opportunity to give viewers a different view of climate change and make them think about the environment in new ways. This global film festival can offer a different perspective on the lives of people in other societies and how they are being impacted by climate change.
1. All qualified submissions will receive a letter of participation
2. First-place winners from each category will receive a trophy and be invited to participate in the World Water Film Festival in March 2024
3. Second-place winners from each category will receive a trophy
4. Third-place winners from each category will receive a certificate
*Additional prizes will be announced as sponsorships are added
1. Try to keep audio levels consistent and balanced.
2. Dialog and interviews should be audible, understandable, and free of excessive
background noise or interference.
3. When recording interviews or dialog, use an external microphone placed as close to
the subject as possible to improve the quality of the recording.
1. When recording video, try to avoid excessively bright or dark scenes unless used for
2. Use artificial lights or sunlight to help illuminate your subject--lights bounced off a
wall or ceiling, or sunlight on an overcast day provides the most even, soft light.
3. Subjects should be in focus - if your camera or device offers it, manual focus is
4. Avoid bright white, green, red, or deep black as they can cause lighting problems as
well as busy, repeating patterns that may appear to “vibrate”.
Copyright and Permissions
1. By submitting your film, you agree that you are the sole owner and producer of the
work and that you have permission to use any copyrighted materials which appear in
the film includes music and still and moving images.
1. All short films must be written, directed, and edited by persons of the following age
categories: 17 and under, 18-30, and 30-35 (age groups can not be blended)
2. All filmmakers must show proof of age
3. All entries may be either a group project or individual work.
4. Adult guidance and instruction are permissible, but the planning, and production
must reflect the age groups indicated above. Note, however, that adults are permitted
to act in and assist with your film.
5. Films may be the following topics related to water: 1) water infrastructure 2)
waterborne disease 3) environmental justice 4) gender equity. Films will be reviewed
6. Title pages and credits should be included in your film.
7. Unless relevant to the plot, please do not include bloopers in your submitted film.
8. Filmmakers are solely responsible for their film production.
9. During production, filmmakers may not obstruct the public right-of-way or film on
a private property without permission from the owner.
10. Use of sound or video clips from other films, television shows, music videos, etc.
within your submitted work is not permitted unless those clips are in the public
domain or you have received written permission from the copyright holder. Use of
trademarked products or characters is also not permitted unless permission is
received from the trademark owner. Filmmakers are responsible for obtaining
permission from copyright and trademark owners.
11. Y4GH requires all filmmakers to obtain permission to use copyrighted music in their
films. Filmmakers can also use their own original music. Additionally, copyright-free,
public domain, trade-friendly, or Creative Commons-licensed music can be used.
12. Each filmmaker may submit one film. In the case of a group project, one filmmaker
should submit for the group.
13. Y4GH is under no obligation to use or exhibit the submitted film(s) in any manner.
14. Y4GH retains the right to accept or decline any entry, for whatever reason, without
notice or explanation.
Terms and Conditions
1. The filmmaker grants Y4GH a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive
license to copy, distribute, create derivative works, perform, and display the film in
any and all media, including, but not limited to Showing the film(s) to the public at a
future Y4GH events, other partner festivals, and promotional events. Displaying the
the film, in part or in its entirety, the Y4GH website, and social media sites.
3. By entering the Y4GH FF, filmmakers indemnify and hold harmless Y4GH, and against
any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising in whole or
in part, directly or indirectly, at any time in connection with the submitted work.
Y4GH cannot be held liable for any damage previewing, or screening. Filmmakers are
responsible for their own insurance. The rights and remedies of Y4GH provided in
this section shall not be exclusive and are in addition to any other rights and
remedies provided by law or under these Terms and Conditions.
4. By submitting your film, you certify that you are the sole owner and producer of the
work and that you are authorized to submit this work, and that all clearances and
licenses necessary for the public display of the work have been granted. Filmmaker
represents and warrants that its film(s) submitted to Y4GH does not infringe in any
way, directly or contributorily, upon any third party’s intellectual property rights,
including, but not limited to, music, still images, moving images, copyright,
trademark, and right of publicity.
5. Filmmaker, at his/her own expense, shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Y4GH
from and against all lawsuits and causes of actions, claims, losses, demands, and
expenses, including, but not limited to, attorney’s fees (both in-house and outside
counsel) and cost of litigation, damages, or liability of any nature arising out of
infringement, actual or alleged, direct or contributory, of any intellectual property
rights, including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, and right of publicity. The
rights and remedies of Y4GH provided in this section shall not be exclusive and are in
addition to any other rights and remedies provided by law or under these Terms and
6. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed in accordance with the laws of the
State of Michigan. All disputes under this agreement shall be resolved by the courts
of the State of Michigan, including the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, and the parties all consent to the jurisdiction of such courts, agree to accept service of process by mail and hereby waive any jurisdictional or venue defenses otherwise available to it.