A competition run in partnership with The Great Northern Creative Expo & the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) to discover the best up-and-coming talents in the creative industries around the UK.
Every year, The Great Northern Creative Expo seeks out only the best projects to include in the ‘Official Selection’. Filmmakers and alumni from all around the globe submit their work year upon year hoping to secure a place in the Expo’s line-up.
This year for the first time, The Great Northern Creative Expo is seeking out the next generation of talented young animators, filmmakers, song-writers, photographers, musicians and writers to become a part of our ‘Official Selection 2020’ with dedicated student categories. We believe that to be able to thrive in the creative industries, we must embrace new ideas and new ways of thinking; so we invite any student with an idea to enter.
The Student competitions are open to all UK students aged 16-18 and in full-time education. Please submit a copy your student I.D with your application, if you are not applying via your educational institution account.
(1) The Visual and Creative Competition 2020 (“the Competition”) is being run as part of the Great Northern Creative Expo (“the Expo”). For the avoidance of doubt, the Competition and the Expo are operated, financed and supported by the University of Central Lancashire (“UCLan”).
(2) The Expo is delivered annually by UCLan and is currently in its seventh year of operation.
(3) The 2020 Expo is due to take place in Preston, Lancashire, UK between Monday 23rd – Saturday 28th November 2020.
(4) The Competition is open to the following categories:
- Moving Image
(5) The Competition is open to UK students or groups of students who are aged from sixteen (16) – eighteen (18) years old at the date of submission of their entry and are currently in full-time education.
(6) The Competition opens on Monday 6th January 2020 at 9am GMT and closes on Friday 21st August 2020 at 12am GMT.
(7) The selected entries to be judged at the Expo will be announced on 31st August 2020 through the FilmFreeway platform.
(8) Entries previously considered at previous Expo’s are not eligible for re-submission and will not be considered, unless such submissions were withdrawn prior to prgramme announcement or at the Expo’s sole and absolute discretion.
(9) You are deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions upon submitting your Competition entry.
(10) The Expo reserves the right to disqualify you if your conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the Competition, or if you are found to have breached these Terms and Conditions in any way.
(11) The Expo accepts no responsibility for any entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected, incomplete or cannot be delivered for any technical reason or any other reasons.
(12) In submitting your entry to the Competition, you confirm that you are eligible to do so and are eligible to claim any prize that you may win. If you are under the age of 18 at the time of submitting your entry you confirm that you have obtained parental or guardian consent to enter the Competition and to potentially claim a prize. The Expo reserves the right to ask a winner for proof of age.
(13) All entries to the Competition must be made through the Competition’s official FilmFreeway platform: filmfreeway.com/VisualCreativeCompetition. No hard-copy submissions will be accepted and any received will be discarded without consideration.
(14) For the avoidance of doubt, there is no submission fee or charge of any kind for entry into the Competition.
(15) If you wish to submit more than one entry for a cateogry or are entering multiple categories of the Comeptition, a separate application through FilmFreeway will be required for each submission.
(16) The Competition will only accept completed works and is not able to consider ‘works in progress’.
(17) All entries to the Competition must adhere to the specification stipulated via FilmFreeway.
(18) The Expo are unable to return any materials submitted to the Expo.
(19) Please ensure all information entered as part of your submission is accurate at the point of submission. By submitting your entry, you confirm that all information is accurate and suitable for print.
(20) No cuts or changes to any entry will be made by the Expo management, with the exception of incorporating subtitles or similar adjustments for disabled people.
(21) All Competition entries, in each category, will be judged by a panel of 5-10 members (depending on category) on its core vision and the creatvitity/effeciency with which it communicates that vision. Further details on our selection process for each category can be found in the Competition Brief document.
(22) Successful entrants will be notified through FilmFreeway of their inclusion in the Expo after 31st August 2020.
(23) The judging panel will select 1 (one) winner from each category in accordance with the criteria set out in Point 21 during the course of the Expo.
(24) The decision of the judging panel (acting reasonably) shall be final and no negotiation or correspondence shall be entered regarding the judging panel’s decision.
(25) Unfortunately, due to the large number of submissions received, the Expo are unable to provide any feedback on unsuccessful entries.
(26) If any successful entrant cannot be contacted or is otherwise unavailable for any reason by 2nd October 2020, the Expo reserves the right to select a substitute entry.
(27) UCLan accepts no responsibility if the Expo is unable to contact you or unable to present your entry at the Expo as a result of a failure to get in touch with you.
(28) If the original language of your entry is not English, the preview and screening copies of the entry must be subtitled in English (if appropriate).
(29) If chosen to appear as part of the Expo, your entry may appear with subtitles created by the Expo team.
(30) If your entry is chosen for selection in the Expo, you may be asked to submit an additional screener in the highest quality possible for projection purposes. If you are unable to provide this for any reason, UCLan may not be able to present your entry at the Expo and reserves the right to replace your entry with the next eligible entry.
(31) For the avoidance of doubt, there are no fees involved for participating in the Expo. You are not entitled to claim an entry fee, or any other fee, for presentation of your entry at the Expo.
(32) You agree that you will not submit any material in your entry which is:
(a) defamatory of any person, or is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
(b) promotes sexually explicit content, violence or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or
(c) infringes any intellectual property rights of any other person.
(33) Please ensure that any and all information provided as part of your competition entry is accurate, complete and up-to-date at the point of submission.
(34) UCLan reserves the right from time to time to modify or discontinue the Competition with or without prior notice where in UCLan’s reasonable opinion it becomes reasonably necessary. UCLan’s decisions on all matters under our control are final and binding and no correspondence or negotiation will be entered into regarding a decision of ours.
(35) UCLan reserves the right to hold void, cancel or make changes to the selection process of the Expo where it may become necessary to do so.
(36) The prizes for each award category are as follows:
Moving Image – 1 X Official 2020 Trophy for the winning entrant(s)
1 X £500 voucher to use on specialist equipment in the ‘moving image’ field for the educational institution of the winning entrant(s)
Photography - 1 X Official 2020 Trophy for the winning entrant(s)
1 X £500 voucher to use on specialist equipment in the ‘photographic’ field for the educational institution of the winning entrant(s)
Screenwriting - 1 X Official 2020 Trophy for the winning entrant(s)
1 X £500 voucher to use on specialist equipment in the ‘submitters/screenwriting’ field for the educational institution of the winning entrant(s)
Song-writing - 1 X Official 2020 Trophy for the winning entrant(s)
1 X £500 voucher to use on specialist equipment in the ‘music’ field for the educational institution of the winning entrant(s)
(37) Any personal information you submit as part of your Competition entry will be processed in compliance with data protection legislation. Any personal data you provide will be used for the purposes of administering the Competition, publishing entries, notifying you if you win and for any publicity purposes involving Competition winner as set out in these Terms and Conditions. This may involve publishing information on the UCLan website or on social media which means it will be available to the public, worldwide. UCLan will use your information to contact you if you win. UCLan will not use your contact details for marketing purposes and will not sell your details to third parties for marketing purposes. For further information about how UCLan uses personal data, please see the privacy notice on our website at www.uclan.ac.uk/privacynotices.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS AND PUBLICITY
(38) UCLan does not claim any rights of ownership in your competition entry.
(39) Upon submission of your competition entry, you confirm that you possess all legal and beneficial rights in your competition entry and you are free and able to submit your entry to the Expo.
(40) You hereby agree to grant UCLan an irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free licence to use, display, transmit, copy or store your competition entry for the purposes of administering the selection process, presenting, performing or playing the entry at the Expo, promoting the Expo in accordance with these Terms and Conditions and for any other purpose that UCLan may reasonably require from time to time.
(41) By entering this Competition you agree that UCLan may make part of your competition entry available on its website https://www.uclan.ac.uk/ and in any other media selected by UCLan from time to time in connection with any publicity relating to the Competition.
(42) These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law, and all entrants submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts in relation to any dispute that may arise under or in connection with these Terms and Conditions.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
(43) To the maximum extent permitted by law, UCLan accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liability, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the competition or accepting the prize, except where it is caused by our negligence. We further disclaim our liability, to the maximum extent permitted by law, for any injury or damage caused to your or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in the competition. Your statutory rights are not affected.
(44) Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude or restrict our liability for death, personal injury, fraud or any other liability we cannot exclude or restrict by law.
(45) UCLan shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations where that failure is caused by something outside of its reasonable control, with the exception of the failure of our suppliers in providing the prizes.
(46) The winners for each category will be notified and presented with the prize at the relevant day of the Expo. If a winner is not at the Expo event at the time of the presentation they will be notified via the email address supplied through their FilmFreeway account. If the winner does not respond within 28 days of being notified of their win, then the winner’s prize shall be forfeited, and we shall be entitled to select a new winner in accordance with the process set out above (such new winner shall also be subject to the obligations set out in this condition).
(47) UCLan accepts no responsibility for any costs associated with the prizes that are not specifically and expressly included in the prizes.
(48) The prizes are non‐exchangeable, non‐transferrable and a cash alternative is not available.
(49) The Expo reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of similar value if the original prize becomes unavailable for any reason.
(50) UCLan may contact the winners by email about participating in publicity related to the Competition and/or the Expo. This may involve the publication of their name and photograph on the UCLan website and in any other media selected by UCLan.
(51) The winners of the Competition will be published on the UCLan website after 29th November 2020.