Welcome to the second annual Vidlings & Tapeheads Film Festival!
V&T is dedicated to promoting unconventional narrative film. We love films with a unique voice that tell stories in an unusual way, experiment with the medium, or sincerely explore eclectic subject matter and themes. We encourage and celebrate subversiveness, innovative use of materials and budget, and quirky independent work that doesn’t fit comfortably within any one genre.
VTFF films are often weird, cult, or niche, but they’re not random. We’re passionate about films that make the strange familiar and the familiar strange while telling a story. We connect with characters who are outsiders and dreamers— both in front of and behind the camera. And though filmmaking is a collaborative effort, we have an unabashed appreciation of the auteur. We love the the absurd humor and magical realism of Terry Gilliam and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the irreverent sincerity and dysfunctional iconoclasm of John Waters and Jane Campion, the uncanny cleverness and dark mystery of Davids Cronenberg and Lynch, the tactile humanity and visceral goofiness of Jan Švankmajer and Stephen Chow, the timeless avant-garde dreamscapes of Maya Deren and Slavko Vorkapić, and the haunting beauty and moral ambiguity of Hayao Miyazaki.
We believe that filmmaking should be accessible to all and that content transcends medium. We’re open to all projects whether they were shot on VHS, Super-8, an HD DSLR, 35mm, an old cell phone, or a 5K Red Scarlet. In fact, we have a special place in our hearts for so- called obsolete tech.
We do our best to curate a diverse and engaging program with a progressive group of unconventional filmmakers, musicians, and artists from Michigan and around the world. We strive to be inclusive and welcome people of all ages, genders, ethnicities, nationalities, creeds, orientations, and walks of life to submit!
VTFF will take place on June 29th & 30th, 2018. The festival will feature Live Music Performances, an Art Exhibition, and of course — lots of Films! July 1st will cap the weekend with a filmmaker and VIP-only Award Ceremony Brunch & Excursion!
Our opening night kickoff party will feature live music performances, a filmmaker social, and free food from local vendors. The film screenings are all day Saturday the 30th. There will be live music and filmmaker Q&As between each film block. Festival attendees will be able to take in our art exhibition throughout the day and mingle with local artists and filmmakers. The night will wrap with a party set to music by the closing night bands. Sunday’s Award Ceremony Brunch and Excursion is closed to the public, but available for VIP passholders, volunteers, performing musicians, artists, and the filmmakers themselves.
Our main events will take place at the brand new Planet Ant Hall and its adjoining Ghost Light bar in Hamtramck, Michigan. Throughout its 20 years, Planet Ant has produced film festivals, improv festivals, Detroit Box Fests, and hosted events by The 313 and other renowned local and national artists. Hamtramck is a vital part of the resurgent Detroit cultural scene and has long been recognized as one of the coolest neighborhoods in the metro area!
Awards & Prizes
Awards will be selected by a jury of working filmmakers, film critics, and film scholars.
Jury: Best Fiction
Jury: Best Animation
Jury: Best Documentary
Jury: Best Made-in-Michigan
Best of Fest
Best of Fest (Student)
Our award package is still being developed—so far we’ve got prizes from Final Draft, Wacom, Transcend with much more to come!
Rules & Terms
• Submitted films must be no longer than 15 minutes and have been completed after June 1st, 2016.
• Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway online screener or password-protected Vimeo/YouTube link. Physical screeners are not accepted.
• No commercials, music videos, or works in progress.
• Entry fees are non-refundable.
• Do not send a press kit until your film has been selected.
• All non-English language films must have legible English subtitles.
• Multiple submissions must have separate forms and appropriate fees for each film.
• The selection committees’ decisions are final.
• If your film is selected your digital screening print must arrive by June 1st, 2017.
• If your film is selected you must provide 2 high resolution screen shots and a secured online link for press/promotion by June 7th, 2018. You will also be asked to provide press materials and a trailer for the website, with an option to send posters and flyers.
• All filmmakers under the age of 18 must have a legal guardian submit for you.
• Filmmakers must be authorized to submit their films to the Vidlings & Tapeheads Film Festival (VTFF) and are responsible for the accuracy of all information provided on the application form.
The VTFF may use images, sounds and excerpts from the films for promotional purposes in all media including the Vidlings & Tapeheads website and may present accepted films at the VTFF2018.
You indicate that you have read and understand the VTFF entry guidelines and rules and regulations and that you agree to the VTFF Terms and Conditions. Furthermore, you indicate that you shall indemnify and hold harmless the V&T and Lethal Finger LLC from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.