Curated by active filmmakers and artists, Toronto New Wave (TNW) represents the work of budding creatives of the highest caliber both locally and internationally. Our mission is to celebrate the experimental, undiscovered talent of the new generation of artists that are taking creative risks. We believe that by providing a platform for new voices using new forms to tell new stories we can be a catalyst for a new wave of social and political change.
The TNW program will feature selections from our Made In Canada and World New Wave categories, including:
1) Short films (narrative, documentary, music videos, animation, experimental)
2) Live music performances
3) Interactive new media art (installation, VR/AR/MR, 360 Film, etc.)
TNW combines the cinematic experiences of watching films on the big screen, attending a live concert, and participating in an immersive VR experience. This cultivates a relationship between the film, music and interactive communities and offers a unique, entertaining experience for audiences.
For our creators:
1) Valuable prizes & categorized awards (judged by industry panel)
2) Q&A sessions with audiences following screenings
3) An exclusive, industry after-party for artists, filmmakers & their friends
4) An opportunity to be featured on our social media outlets, regardless of selection status. Feel free to reach out to us for a special spotlight.
For more information on the event program visit torontonewwave.com
For special screenings & inquiries: email@example.com
Please note: event venue may change.
The 2018 Festival included the following award categories and prizes. Expect these to be updated soon for 2019!!
1) Audience Choice: $2,000 to use toward any AstroLab Studios Inc. space and gear rentals as well as $300 in credit from Shuttershare
2) Best Overall Film: $2,500 in grip/lighting rentals from William F. Whites and $2,000 to use toward any AstroLab Studios Inc. space and gear rentals
3) Best Director: $1,000 in rentals from Ontario Camera and a full day in Studio 2 of Astrolab Studios, complete with grip, lighting, and electrical (value approx $1,350)
4) Best Cinematography: $2000 in camera gear rentals from Dazmo Camera PLUS a full day in Studio 2, complete with grip, lighting, and electrical (value approx $1,350) from Astrolab Studios
5) Best Sound Design: 2 full days in the Audio Suite of Astrolab Studios for mixing or ADR (value approx $1,000) (Does not include sound engineer, but bringing in a freelancer at a fair rate is negotiable)
6) Best Editing: 2 full days in the Editing/DaVinci Colour Suite (value approx $1,000) of Astrolab Studios (Does not include an editor or colourist)
7) Best Music Performer: 2 full days in the Audio Suite of Astrolab Studios for mixing, track production or vocal recordings (value approx $1,000) (Does not include sound
engineer, but bringing in a freelancer at a fair rate is negotiable)
8) Best Music Video: A full day in Studio 2 of Astrolab Studios, complete with grip, lighting, and electrical (value approx $1,350) for the winner of the award for the best music video
All entries to be received through FilmFreeway by July 2, 2019.
• Production must be shorter than 20 minutes in length and completed after January 1, 2018.
• Preference will be given to submissions which will have their Canadian or Toronto premiere at the TNW Festival.
• Productions submitted to previous renditions of the TNW festival will not be considered.
• Submissions in the Made In Canada category must earn at least 6 point from the following creative categories, once per category: Director (2 points), Writer (2 points), Producer (1 point), Lead performer (1 point), Production designer (1 point), Director of photography (1 point), Editor (1 point), Music composer (1 point).
• Non-English entries must contain English subtitles.
• Films of all genres will be considered.
• Screening files are to be sent to us in .mp4 and VR films must be able to be screened using the Samsung Gear VR system.
Terms and Conditions
• Once a work has been submitted, it may not be withdrawn.
• Submitter allows Toronto New Wave the usage of excerpts from submitted entry and related publicity material (images, synopsis, biographies, etc.) for promotional use in all forms (print and digital)
• Toronto New Wave reserves the right to request proof of residence and/or verification for declaration of truth, to qualify as a Greater Toronto Area or Canadian production.
• Submitter shall inform festival team of any changes in contact information.
• Toronto New Wave reserves the right to refuse submissions for screening.
• Submitter hereby warrants that they are authorized to submit the film for screening, with understanding and acceptance of listed terms and conditions, and use of all images and material used in submission.
• By submitting the program, Submitter agrees it shall indemnify and hold harmless Toronto New Wave from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
• Entries will not be returned.