Welcome to the Topaz Film Festival by Women in Film Dallas, formerly known as the Chick Flicks or Flicks by Chicks Film Festival.
For 21 years, Women in Film Dallas has provided a platform for independent women filmmakers to promote their work through its annual film festival.
The Topaz Film Festival is an extension of the Women in Film Dallas Scholastic Grant Fund, a 501c3 that provides financial support through grants and scholarships to women in the pursuit of media arts degrees and those in the productions of film, television and screen-based media. Proceeds from the festival will serve to fund the scholastic grant.
This year’s program is tentatively set for October 20-30, 2022 and will consist of a minimum of 4 short film blocks (Texas, comedy, student, and other shorts) and at least one centerpiece feature film (dependent upon submission volume). The 2022 Topaz Film Festival will present in-person and virtual screenings. Virtual screenings will be limited to certain geographic regions as determined by the festival directors.
Films are eligible if women are in two or more of the following positions, in the making of the film: director, producer, writer, cinematographer, editor, animator, composer/score, camera department (operator or assistant), sound/audio/foley (mixing or sound editing), special/visual effects, gaffer/grip/electric, set design, art direction, choreographer or UPM/Production Coordinator/Line Producer.
We accept both narratives and documentaries in both feature and shorts categories. Shorts must be under the 20-minute mark, the shorter the better! Features are over 60 minutes.
50% DISCOUNT - WIFD members with code. Visit www.wifdallas.org to become a member and receive your code!
Best Texas Short
Best Comedy Short
Best Student Short
Audience Choice Awards
Best of Festival Short Film Award
The presented awards each year are selected based on selected films and organization of film blocks. Past awards also include Best Female Director, Best Actress, Best Cinematography, Best Animated Short, Best Narrative Short, Best Documentary Short and Best Experimental Short. Depending on feature film submission volume and selection, the festival may include Feature Film Awards as well.
2022 TOPAZ FILM FESTIVAL COMPETITION RULES
The following rules govern all film submissions to the Topaz Film Festival (“TFF” or the “Festival”)
1. Films are eligible if women are in two or more of the following positions: director, producer, writer, cinematographer, editor, animator, composer/score, camera department (operator or assistant), sound/audio/foley (mixing or sound editing), special/visual effects, gaffer/grip/electric, set design, art direction, choreographer or UPM/Production Coordinator/Line Producer.
2. Submissions must be accompanied by the applicable submission fee PER ENTRY and a completed online entry form.
3. Submission Fees are Final. No Refunds!
4. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
5. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible, without a refund.
6. Films must be available for screening during the Topaz Film Festival, tentatively set for October 20-30, 2022, both in-person and virtually. (Virtual screenings are only allowed in certain geographic regions as determined by the festival directors)
7. Films that have been submitted in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted, provided they are eligible according to all of the festival’s current rules.
8. Topaz Film Festival reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
9. Topaz Film Festival reserves the right to arrange film screenings per their discretions regardless of the category for which the film was originally submitted. Please only submit your film to the most appropriate category (one category per film submitted) and the festival will place your film into the appropriate program if selected. NO refunds will be issued to films submitted in more than one category. Submission Categories are as follows:
- Short Film Student refers to films completed during high school and undergraduate college programs
- Short Film Student (Graduate) refers to films completed during graduate college programs
- Short Film Texas refers to films that have an association to Texas such as, filmmaker(s) currently live in or have lived in Texas or filmed in Texas.
- Short Film Comedy refers to films with comedic elements. If comedy short has Texas connection please submit under the Texas category.
- Short Film Other refers to films in all other genres including but not limited to drama, thriller, horror, animation, experimental, music video, etc.
10. Selected films must provide a downloadable digital file of their film for screening during the festival. No YouTube links will be accepted unless the link allows for downloads. If you are unable or unwilling to provide us your film in the requested format for exhibition, DO NOT SUBMIT your film.
11. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished. Each submission is judged as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because TFF’s focus is on story, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film. Should the film be accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the Festival with their most recent version, provided that no modifications have been made to the story itself.
12. Current WIFD board members or members of the film festival committee may have films submitted that they are affiliated with for festival screening, but such films will not be eligible for festival prizes with the exception of an audience award.
13. Due to the small size of our festival and limited staff, we are unable to assist with visa requests for filmmakers from any country at this time. This includes any communication with US Embassies abroad. We will make every effort to include filmmakers in our festival events in a virtual manner should they be unable to attend in person.
14. We do not pay filmmakers to screen their films at our festival. We are a 100% volunteer-led film festival presented by a nonprofit with a limited budget. While we would love for our filmmakers to recover some of their investment from our festival, we just simply do not have the budget to cover screening fees.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. TFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
3. The Topaz Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Topaz Film Festival event for promotional purposes including but not limited to screenings in conjunction with Dallas Video Fest. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for public screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
4. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Women in Film Dallas, Women in Film Dallas Scholastic Grant Fund and Topaz Flicks from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
Selected Films and Winners
1. The Topaz Film Festival has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
2. TFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by TFF or by its volunteers.
3. Winners will be announced before or on July 22, 2022. The judges’ decision is final.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
I/We have read all of the rules, understand, and have complied with these rules.
I/We warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
I/We also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my/our knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I/We understand that failure to adhere to the competition rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
I/We acknowledge that once an entry payment has been processed, TFF will not provide a refund.
No revisions of materials will be accepted once entry has been submitted.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.