2022 Taiwan International Queer Film Festival – Streaming on-Demand
Call for Entries
Streaming on-Demand Festival Date: 8/26 -9/12
- In cinemas from 8/26 to 9/4
- Streaming on-demand 2/29 to 9/12
Taiwan International Queer Film Festival (TIQFF), established in 2014, is organized by Taiwan International Media and Education Association (TIMEA).
Since the 1980s, Taiwan has witnessed waves of democratic movements in both the political and cultural arenas. The fight for gay rights took root in the 90s and has steadily grown. Since 2000, events such as the Gay Pride Parade have taken place, starting in Taipei, then gradually spreading to many other cities. All this is possible only through the grassroots efforts of many people who together have created a multi-faceted LGBT culture in Taiwan, garnering the title of the most gay-friendly country in Asia. In particular, after the long-term social movement from all walks of life in Taiwan and the countless political debates in parliament and in public space, our parliament just legalized same-sex marriage on 17 May 2019 and Taiwan is the first Asian country that legalizes same-sex marriage. However, despite these localized successes, Taiwan still lacks a central voice, one that gathers the strengths of the diverse LGBT groups to establish a friendly bond with the government, its people, and the rest of the world.
With the belief that the power of films and media can help to create this bond, Taiwan International Queer Film Festival aims to establish ourselves as the premier LGBT film festival in all of Asia. It is important not only to present to the Taiwanese people LGBT films from around the globe, but also to showcase the best Taiwanese queer cinema on the international stage. This will be the start toward a better understanding of the visions of the world.
The film festival is only possible with government support, corporate sponsorship, and, most importantly, the countless friends and volunteers who have made themselves available to work toward this cause. This ensemble cast is evidence of Taiwan's tireless effort and dedication toward cultural progress. Together, with the power of these moving images, we will transform the world, one heart at a time.
Festival Program Categories
- International Features (longer than 60 minutes)
- International Short Film Competition (less than 60 minutes)
- Taiwanese Short Film Competition (less than 60 minutes)
The International Short Film Competition winner will receive a cash prize of 30,000 NTD.
The Taiwanese Short Film Competition winner will receive a cash prize of 30,000 NTD.
Submission Terms and Conditions
- Submission fee must be made in USD as collected by FilmFreeway.
- The content or context of submission work must have at least one or more related subjects such as LGBTQI+ storytelling, LGBTQI+ character representation, gender and cultural diversity or body politic.
- Must be completed after January 1st 2020.
- Must have English subtitles, including the trailer.
- Must not be works-in-progress or rough cuts.
- Must have Traditional Chinese and English subtitles if the film is made in Taiwan, Hong Kong or China.
- Taiwanese Short Film Competition, the director or producer must be Taiwanese who holds valid Taiwanese citizenship (Alien Resident Cards included)
- Feature films, documentaries, experimental films and animations are welcome to submit.
- All films must be submitted before April 30th 2022.
- An online Screener with a secure password or high-resolution file is highly preferred.
- Please take note of your FilmFreeway Tracking Number for future references.
- Applications that are not complete on FilmFreeway will not be taken into consideration.
- If your submission is selected, you will hear from us no later than the end of May 2022.
- Due to the volume of submissions, we do not provide feedback if the submission is not selected into this year’s TIQFF program.