The People's Film Festival, a dynamic three-day event that celebrates the Voice of the People through the power of film, art and technology. Our festival takes place from May 30, 2024 to June 1st 2024 at the AMC Magic Johnson Theater and Maysles Cinema in Harlem, NY, and features films from around the globe.
Rooted in the belief of freedom of speech and media access for all, TPFF was founded in 2012 with the goal provide a platform for independent filmmakers, producers and creatives to showcase their works in venues that can elevate them to the next level. Over the last 12 years, TPFF has become known as “The Voice of The People,” an extraordinary platform where filmmakers can tell their stories their way and make a real impact on their audiences.
Our mission is to not only inspire future creatives and innovators but to also expose audiences of all ages to new tools and technologies for storytelling. TPFF has had some remarkable success stories, with many films screened at our festival ultimately being featured at other prestigious media outlets and venues such as HBO, Netflix, FOST, PBS – Public Broadcasting Service, Revolt TV, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Library & Archives.
Our festival is held in Harlem, NY, a thriving and vibrant community with rich cultural history. It is an ultimate synergy of great music, literature, arts, and entertainment also collectively known as The Harlem Renaissance. Filmmakers and filmgoers come together each year to actively share information, break bread, and build relationships.
The People’s Film Festival is a great initiative of The People’s Media, Music & Arts Foundation (TPMMAF) - a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation. We use our platform to promote awareness of independent film, technology, media, music, and art across the globe while encouraging those, particularly in the Harlem New York area, to develop a greater appreciation and understanding of cultural diversity in media.
This event is open to everyone.
The People's Film Festival recognizes filmmakers for their work and present a “People’s Awards” to winners selected in each category.
Category Winners—A unique custom-designed Award will be presented to the winners of the best films in each category in competition.
Best Documentary Feature
Best Documentary Short
Best Music Video
Best Animation and Experimental.
Special Festival Awards
THE "CHANCE AWARD" - Filmmakers who are multi-talented & accomplished in many fields including filmmaking.
"HARLEM FILMMAKER" AWARD - Films directed by Harlem Filmmaker.
THE "SPIRIT OF THE PEOPLE" AWARD - Recognizes dynamic people whose activism and courage impacts the lives of many
THE "POWER OF SHE" AWARD - Films directed by or for women
Public Media Awards of Excellence
LIFETIME COMMITMENT TO PUBLIC MEDIA
COMMUNITY ACTIVIST AWARD
RADICAL HISTORY MAKERS AWARD - Films that challenge the status quo, not afraid to take risk, bravery & courage
Rules & Terms
The People’s Film Festival accepts no responsibility for loss or damage of entries. If accepted, we will notify filmmakers by email. Programming decisions are made by the festival programmers and our selection committee. Films selected for screening in all categories will be notified on or about April 15, 2024. After acceptance, the final presentational format including electronic press kit materials if available, must be received upon acceptance. Any films not submitted by that date can be disqualified. All films must be in English or with English subtitles.
To be eligible, films MUST NOT HAVE EXHIBITED PUBLICLY IN HARLEM, NY (3 months) prior to The People’s Film Festival.
• Priority is given to World Premieres for features & shorts.
• All films must be in English or with English subtitles. Foreign language films must be dubbed in English or presented in their original language with English subtitles.
• Promotional, instructional or industrial films, and raw documentation of performances are not eligible.
• Films must not have been broadcast on US television or online before the festival or commercially released on DVD/Blu-ray, VOD, or for download to the public.
• These rules will be strictly monitored.
• We will accept online payment by credit card, (American Express, Discover, Master Card, and Visa). Please do not send checks, money orders. The nonrefundable Entry fees are in U.S. Dollars, are per film and must be payable in US dollars to The People’s Media Music & Arts Foundation Inc. When submitting to the festival you are agreeing that, if selected and the invitation accepted, to screen the submitted film during the dates of the festival.
• The Festival reserves the right to disqualify a submission, without refund of any kind, if eligibility requirements are not met including if eligibility status changes post-submission. Incomplete entries without proper fees will be rejected.
• TPFF does not pay any screening fees for presentation of the film during the festival.
• ALL SUBMISSIONS SHOULD BE SENT TO US AS SECURE ONLINE SCREENERS. TPFF no longer accepts DVD/BluRay screeners as standard submissions.
• You can submit via FilmFreeway or a password protected streaming link. Our preference is Vimeo, however, TPFF will accept links to other streaming sites that is unlisted i.e. private YouTube that is not linked to the public or by filling out our online entry forms.
• Filmmakers may submit more than one film however, each film must have its own Entry Form and Entry Fee.
• Premiere Status - We accept all films, however, priority will be given to World Premiere and Harlem related stories.
• Completion Date - There is no mandatory completion date for your film submission.
• Prior Screenings - Entries must not have been broadcast (televised) on US television or online before the festival.
• Prior Submission - Films previously submitted to TPFF will only be considered if they reapply as a new submission with 60% changes to your film, including all applicable entry fees.
• Completed & Signed Entry Form POSTMARKED by the deadline.
Submission of your work confirms that The People’s Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize any film including promotional stills and information submitted and accepted during the Festival and/or at any other Festival event for promotional purposes in The People’s Film Festival . The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations for participation in The People’s Film Festival. The individual or corporation also warrants there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission and this film is not subject to any litigation nor is any litigation threatened. The individual or corporation also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and will indemnify and hold harmless The People’s Film Festival, The People’s Public Media Awards of Excellence, The People’s Media, Music & Arts Foundation, Record Drop, its directors, management, staff, and sponsors, and defend them against all claims, demands, losses damages, judgments, liabilities and expenses (including attorney's fees) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos screened or entered arising out of TPFF’s exhibition and promotion of said film- should such film be programmed as part of the 2024 People’s Film Festival.
THE PEOPLE’S FILM FESTIVAL ARCHIVE
Your film will be retained as part of TPFF permanent archives. Selected films may be added to The People’s Channel, which is an extension of the festival in which filmmakers have the option to screen on other networks. If selected, filmmakers will be notified and have the option to opt out. The filmmaker will receive no compensation or fee for providing the film to TPFF.
FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF SUBMISSION RULES & ENTRY INFO go to www.thepeoplesfilmfestival.com