We're the film fest that goes bump in the night.
In 2017, the first annual SPOOKFEST premiered to a sold-out crowd at the historic Roxie Theater in San Francisco: 13 spooky short films on Friday, October 13. We had a costume contest, audience-voted OSCARE awards, and a $666 grand prize for Best In Show. For SpookFest 2018, we doubled the fun with two back-to-back screenings.
In 2019, we're returning to the Roxie for our third-annual monster mash! Once again, we're looking for 13 shorts that explore the "monsters among us," either literal or figurative. Films can be horror, fantasy, comedy, sci-fi, or even less conventional genres. Basically, we're looking for a diverse lineup with a range of tones that evoke the Halloween spirit.
Let's get spooky!
There's a $666 grand prize for "Best In Show," which is voted on by the audience. Other awards include "Best Scare," "Best Humor," and a fourth category that we update every year (e.g. "Best Use of Fake Blood" in 2017; "Best Social Message" in 2018).
FILM FESTIVAL TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. SpookFest is an annual film festival competition organized by filmmakers Sam Haynor and Steve Flavin. Selected festival entries will be screened for the public at the Roxie Theater in San Francisco on October 24, 2019. Films are selected by a panel of judges who evaluate submissions via secure online screeners. Further details of the Competition are provided in the online submission information at FilmFreeway.com/SpookFest (Materials). The Materials form part of these terms and conditions.
2. SpookFest will award audience-voted prizes (as set out in the Materials). The prizes are not transferable or exchangeable. If a prize is unavailable for any reason, SpookFest may substitute another item of equal value as determined by the festival management team.
3. Entering SpookFest does not guarantee that you will win a prize or derive any other benefit. The prizes are awarded at the sole discretion of the panel judges. We are not responsible in any way for the decisions, actions, or conduct of judges. Our decisions (and those of the judges) in respect of all aspects of SpookFest are final.
5. Individuals may enter the Competition. To enter SpookFest, you must fully complete, sign, and submit the online submission form by the due date in the online submission Materials. By doing so, you agree with to be bound by these terms and conditions. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardian submit and sign the application form on your behalf. We are not liable for late, lost, misdirected, incomplete or incorrectly submitted applications.
6. There is no entry fee for submitting a film to SpookFest.
7. By submitting an application, you:
(a) agree to make your film submission available to SpookFest in the requested format and by the deadlines documented in the online submission materials as notified by festival management; and
(b) agree to authorize SpookFest to host your content if selected for the festival for public exhibition.
8. SpookFest may, at our sole discretion, refuse or exclude your application, at any time before the running of the Competition.
9. You must meet your own costs of preparing and featuring your submission.
10. If any aspect of SpookFest is not capable of running as planned because of any cause beyond our control, we may in our sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition.
11. We may disqualify you from SpookFest if you:
(c) breach these terms and conditions;
(d) breach any applicable law; or
(e) are party to any act or thing act or thing prejudicial to our goodwill, commercial reputation or overall public image.
Release and waiver
12. Filmmakers retain all rights to their films.
13. We may ask that you provide us with photographs or video, or allow us to photograph or video you (the Media Materials), free of charge, to prepare promotional or other material for the purpose of or related to SpookFest, you agree that copyright in the Media Materials is the property of SpookFest.
14. You give us unrestricted and irrevocable right to use and publish the Media Materials or reproductions or adaptations or modifications thereof in all forms and media including print and internet including social media for marketing, advertising or any lawful purpose for or related to SpookFest.
15. You release us from any and all claims, actions, demands, suits, liabilities, damages, expenses and obligations of any kind arising from or related to our use of the Media Materials.
Limitation of liability and indemnity
16. Without excluding, restricting or modifying the rights and remedies to which you may be entitled under law, or our liabilities under those provisions:
(a) we are not liable to you for any cost incurred or loss or liability you suffer in any way in relation to SpookFest.
(b) you acknowledge that the details of SpookFest are set out in the online submission materials and are subject to change at the sole discretion of SpookFest with or without notice to you and that we do not make any warranty or representation as to: (i) the suitability of the Competition to your circumstances; (ii) the suitability of judges; (iii) your prospects of winning a prize; (iv) the effect of the Competition on your film; or (v) any other thing related to SpookFest.
(c) we exclude all other implied terms and warranties, whether statutory or otherwise, relating to SpookFest and the subject matter of our agreement with you.
(d) we will not be liable to you for indirect and / or consequential loss arising from or connected to our agreement with you in contract, tort, under any statute or otherwise (including, without limitation, for loss of revenue, loss of profits, failure to realize expected profits or savings, loss of intellectual property, breach of confidence or any other commercial or economic loss of any kind) unless such loss arises as a result of our own willful misconduct.
(e) our liability to you for loss or damage of any kind arising out of our agreement with you or in connection with the relationship established by it is reduced to the extent (if any) that you cause or contribute to the loss or damage. This reduction applies whether our liability is in contract, tort (including negligence), under any statute or otherwise.
(f) our liability to you is limited in all cases to the amount of the application fee you have paid.
17. You indemnify us in relation to any loss caused by:
(a) a breach by you of this agreement and these terms and conditions; or
(b) any action by a third party against you or us in relation to your use of copyrighted material in relation to SpookFest.
18. A party’s failure or delay to exercise a power or right does not operate as a waiver of that power or
19. You acknowledge that you have not relied on any warranty or representation other than those found in the Materials.
20. If any part of these terms and conditions is invalid or unenforceable, this agreement does not include it. The remainder of the terms and conditions continue in full force.