CALLING ALL NEW YORK STATE FILM MAKERS!
RAFAS presents THE SHMOOVIES, sponsored by BLUE MOON FILMS.
The SHMOOVIES, a Rochester, NY based short films festival that began in 2011, is organized by the Rochester Association for Film Arts and Sciences, Inc (“RAFAS”), a 501c3 non-profit corporation. All filmmakers living in New York State are invited to submit their short film.
Each film submitted will be evaluated by our talented judging panel whose expertise covers all aspect of film making.
Only the best films will be selected for screening at the Shmoovies event on Tuesday evening, January 26, 2021 at The Cinema Theater, in Rochester, NY.
The top two films as selected by our judging panel will each receive $150. The film voted the “Audience Favorite” will receive $50.
We recommend that each entry must be fully entered on FilmFreeway, including film stills, production pictures, downloadable poster, and trailer or teaser.
All submissions officially selected will receive the Shmoovies laurel and will be eligible for the “Audience Favorite” prize which will be voted on at the end of the screening.
Each entry will be judged on quality, creativity, and filmmaking skill.
The Shmoovies accepts live action, narrative or documentary films of all genres, open to all film makers living in New York State (students, too).
Keep them short – 15 minutes or less, but the judging panel can make exceptions for an amazing work.
All films must include English subtitles (unless the spoken language is English). All screeners are to be submitted through FilmFreeway.
The Shmoovies will not accept the following:
1. Extremist or propaganda content from religious or political organizations.
2. Pornography (material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings.).
3. Films with a poor production standard (bad sound, no subtitles for non-english speaking films, etc).
By submitting your film, you agree that:
1. You grant RAFAS the non-exclusive right to copy, screen, show, exhibit, telecast, broadcast, advertise, market and exploit your film, and any portion thereof throughout the universe, via any medium and in any manner whether now known or hereafter invented as part of, and in conjunction with, activities identified as part of the Shmoovies.
In no manner limiting the foregoing, RAFAS has the right to use your film, and any portion thereof to advertise, promote and publicize the Shmoovies and/or any sponsor thereof in any manner and via any medium at RAFAS’s sole discretion.
2. Entry fees are non-refundable.
3. You own the rights to the film.
To submit your short film for judging using the FilmFreeway interface, we recommend a compressed H.264 (MP4) file.
Selected films will be compiled and exhibited at the event in 2K DCP 5.1 Surround 24-30 FPS.
If your film is selected, you must submit a high quality copy of your film. The technical requirements for theatrical screening are as follows:
1. ProRes 4444 XQ
2. ProRes 4444
3. DNxHR 444
4. DNxHR HQX
5. ProRes HQ
OTHER VIDEO FORMATS
1. ProRes 422
2. DNxHR HQ
5. some others by request
1. 24-bit 48,000Khz PCM
2. 5.1 Surround
3. 2.0 Stereo
4. 8-Ch SMPTE DTV
1. HD / 16:9 / 1.79 – 1920 x 1080
2. Flat / 1.85 – 1998 x 1080
3. Scope / 2.39 – 2048 x 858
4. Full – 2048 x 1080
1. HD / 16:9 / 1.79 – 3840 x 2160
2. Flat / 1.85 – 3996 x 2160
3. Scope / 2.39 – 4096 x 1716
4. Full Container – 4096 x 2160
1. 23.98 / 24 fps
2. HFR (High Frame Rate) – 48, 49.94, 50, 60
3. 25, 29.97, 30