ABOUT ROLLING FILM FESTIVAL
RFF contributes to the structuring of the Kosovar cultural sector by adding a community-dedicated event in the Kosovo cultural calendar, highlighting and raising awareness on Kosovo’s multiculturalism.
“Folktale – The New Reality” is this year’s theme of the festival. Folktale is a story originating in popular culture, typically passed on by word of mouth over generations. In todays society the Roma lives are often seen as a folktale and sadly often treated as one. The transformation of the folktale towards reality is sometimes very close. The only question remains is “what is the reality and what is fiction in the Roma lives today?”.
International and local fiction, animation, documentaries, shorts and feature films will be shown during 5 days of the festival at the ABC Cinema in Pristina, Kosovo in March 22nd to 26 of March 2021.
Films made by and about Roma people are eligible.
(Roma filmmaker made a non-Roma related film is eligible. Other non-Roma filmmakers made any films about Roma people are also eligible.)
Films produced after July 2017 are eligible.
Each edition many international and local artist meets present their work to Kosovo audience.
The Rolling Film Festival® ranks among the most important Roma international film festivals in the Europe. For 5 days, film lovers, filmmakers, industry professionals, and media watch the best in new Roma cinema from established masters and new talent.
As one of the world’s most important Roma cultural events, the Festival consistently strives to set the standard for excellence in film programming. Films are selected on the basis of quality and originality.
The Festival also serves as a platform for Roma artists to share their stories. Audacious in its selection and supported by the intelligence and breadth of its international (mix) audience, the Festival has become the landmark destination for the Roma films and is always seeking new ways to engineer creative and cultural discovery through film.
The level of engagement the Festival sustains from edition to edition is unique. Enthusiastic audiences and filmmakers have unprecedented levels of access to one another as they exchange ideas about the art and business of filmmaking.
The Rolling Film Festival has earned its long-standing reputation as a leader in the of Roma cultural events in Kosovo.
The Rolling Film Festival:
- Presents one the only Roma cinema event in the world
- Presents at least two public screenings and one Press and Industry every invited film.
- Welcomes about 3000 attendees;
- About 10 international and local filmmakers are invited to present their works.
The submissions period for the 2020 RFF opens April 30, 2020. All submissions to the RFF#6 must be made via FilmFreeway (https://filmfreeway.com/rollingfilmfestival).
All selected films must be available to screen in DCP (Digital Cinema Package), BR or HD files by September 1st, 2020.
AWARDS & PRIZES
The festival program consists of competitions of a symbolic audience award and special programs giving Roma youth visibility.
NATIONAL COMPETITION: Cikore Filmja / “Small Films” – short films, is a program organised by within the festival. Any film maker from Kosovo may also submit for their national competition.
This section has a award prize which are:
>> Audience Price: 200Euros
>> Best Film: 100Euros
>> Jury Price: 80Euros
INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY COMPETITION
> Best Fiction - Audience Award for fiction (this Award is symbolic and it doesn't include any cost).
> Best Documentary - Audience Award for documentary (this Award is symbolic and it doesn't include any cost).
BALKAN COMPETITION: For any genre movies from the region.
>> Audience Award (this Award is symbolic and it doesn’t include any cost).
Participants are urged to make available all requested publicity material for promotion.
TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR SUBMISSION OF FILMS THROUGH FILMFREEWAY.COM
I. APPLICATION OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS
(1) The following terms and conditions (the “Terms”) govern the submission of a film (the “Film”) to Rolling Film Festival Edition 6. (“RFF #6”), through filmfreeway.com (“FilmFreeway”), for consideration for the 2021 International Rolling Film Festival (the “Festival”). To the extent that this document is inconsistent with any other document prepared by RFF or anyone else, this document will take precedence. Any questions about these Terms should be directed to email@example.com .
II. SUBMISSION AGREEMENT
(1) By submitting a Film to RFF for Festival consideration, the submitter (the “Applicant”) represents that he, she, or they have obtained consent from any and all owners, creators, writers, producers, and/or other authorized representatives of the Film whose consent is required to submit the Film to RFF (the “Film Owners”) and screen the Film at the Festival, and has read, understood, and agreed to the Terms.
(2) RFF may disqualify or reject, but is not required to do so, any submission that it determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, is not in compliance, in whole or in part, with these Terms.
III. SUBMISSION CATEGORIES AND ELIGIBILITY
(1) Films submitted to RFF for Festival consideration under these Terms must be submitted in one of the categories set out below.
(2) Films that do not meet the eligibility requirements for any of the below categories should not be submitted and will not be considered by RFF.
(3) For the purpose of the below categories, “National” films are Films that were directed by a Kosovo citizen or residents of Kosovo and list Kosovo as one of the countries of production. All other Films are considered “international” films.
(4) Submission categories:
*National Films (any duration, animation, documentary, fiction and experimental).
*International Films (any duration, animation, documentary, fiction and experimental).
*Balkan Films(any duration, animation, documentary, fiction and experimental).
(5) The Festival is organised into a series of programmes, which are subject to change from year to year but might include, for example: Rolling on the Road, School Program presentations, year long programme. RFF may include basic information of the film selected films into romacinema.org website. More information about these programmes is available at romacinema.org and rollingfilm.org
(6) RFF will accept submissions that have already premiered in Kosovo, but the Film’s premiere status will be taken into consideration when final programming decisions are made.
(7) A Film will not be eligible for consideration and should not be submitted if:
a. the Film was completed prior to July 1, 2017; or
b. the Film was previously submitted to RFF for Festival consideration (please note: we will accept a “new cut” of a film that was previously submitted to RFF, provided that the Film still meets our eligibility requirements. We define a “new cut” as a Film that has undergone substantial changes including, but not limited to: editing, reshoots, or a new run time. Please submit a brief statement with your submission with reference to the new cut).
IV. PROCESS FOR SUBMISSION
(1) All the submission is free of charge.
(2) Applicants should test their online screeners thoroughly before submitting them, and ensure their online screener remains active on FilmFreeway until October 1st 2020. The screener must contain English subtitles if the original language is not English
(4) RFF will not review multiple versions of a submitted Film.
(5) Screeners will not be returned.
V. SUBMISSION DEADLINES
(1) In order to be eligible for consideration, submission screeners must be submitted online via FilmFreeway, with a FilmFreeway registration completed by the deadlines outlined below.
(3) RFF may accept late submissions in its sole and absolute discretion.
Earylbird Deadline – July 1st 2020
Regular Deadline – July 20th 2020
Extended deadline – August 10th 2020
(1) RFF will consider for inclusion in the Festival all eligible films that have been submitted by the above deadline and in accordance with these Terms.
(2) All selection decisions are at the sole and absolute discretion of RFF, and are final and unreviewable. RFF is not required to provide any feedback, comments, or reasons, or any other information, regarding the selection or non-selection of any submitted Film or the process by which Films are or have been selected. (3) RFF will notify by August 21, 2020, all Applicants who have been selected to participate in the Festival. All Applicants who are not selected to participate in the Festival will be contacted by email on or around August 21, 2020.
VII. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, LEGAL CLAIMS, AND INDEMNITIES
(1) By submitting the film to RFF, the Applicant and Film Owners (the “Submitting Parties”) hereby warrant and represent that: (i) the Film is wholly original and is not copied from and does not include any other work that is the subject of copyright or other protection, unless such work is in the public domain or the Submitting Parties have obtained any and all consents, releases, licenses, and other authorizations or waivers of any kind necessary for the inclusion or reproduction of any person, character, location, thing, trademark, sound recording, musical composition, or other work in the Film; (ii) the Film does not defame any person or violate the common law or statutory rights, including, without limitation, the rights of privacy and publicity or any other right of any person; (iii) the Film is not the subject of litigation, nor any dispute which would give rise to litigation; (iv) there are no agreements, nor will there be any agreements made subsequent to the date of this Film submission, that would or could have the effect of impairing the Submitting Parties’ ability to provide the Film as contemplated herein, or otherwise conflict with any provision of these Terms; and (v) the Submitting Parties have the full right, power, and authority to submit the Film to RFF for Festival consideration, and to grant all of the rights granted hereunder and in the FilmFreeway registration form, and there is no obligation or restriction which would in any way impair, limit, or impede the Submitting Parties from fully performing all obligations pursuant to the submission and these Terms.
(2) The Submitting Parties agree to indemnify and hold harmless RFF, its licensees, successors, and assigns, and its and their members, officers, directors, employees, volunteers, agents, representatives, associates, and affiliates (each, a “Releasee”), from any claim, suit, action, or other proceeding brought against a Releasee and from any losses, costs, or damages, including the Releasee’s full legal fees and costs, which it may have suffered or incurred or may suffer or incur, directly or indirectly based on, in connection with, or arising from the use and exhibition of the Film submitted by the Applicant or the breach or alleged breach of any representation, warranty, or other agreement made by the Applicant in these Terms, or in the Applicant’s FilmFreeway registration form.
(3) RFF takes reasonable anti-piracy precautions. While in RFF possession, all Films are securely stored and regularly inventoried. Access to Films is limited to RFF staff who require access in order to screen and consider submissions. No duplication and loaning of Films is permitted. By submitting a Film to RFF, the Submitting Parties hereby release the Releasees from any and all liability in the event of theft, unauthorized access, or copying, or any breach of copyright of the submitted Film while it is in RFF possession.
(1) RFF reserves the right to rule, in its sole discretion, on cases and situations not foreseen by these Terms.