OWF (OUT Web Fest), the world’s only digital festival dedicated to celebrating web series, short films, and music videos by and for the global queer community, is now accepting submissions. OWF's mission is to provide the opportunity for all queer content creators to connect with the global community and celebrate the progressive evolution of LGBTQ+ entertainment. OWF breaks the mold of other festivals by giving prominence and a voice to the honest and unfiltered digital short-form storytelling that does not rely on access to resources, lofty budgets, or elite “movers and shakers” in the industry.
In the 21st Century short-form content leads as the hottest and fastest growing category in digital entertainment and we believe it is the perfect forum to share multiple perspectives of queer culture that make our stories some of the most innovative, ground-breaking, and unique in the world. OWF introduces international and local digital content creators, producers, and fans to inclusive programming that acknowledges the cultural significance of this revolutionary intersection of medium and storytelling.
This festival will feature workshops, pitch sessions, and panels with industry experts, as well as screenings. The festival will conclude with an awards ceremony and closing night party.
Awards & Prizes
Audience Awards will be given in the following categories:
Docs & Experimental
At the conclusion of each category screening, the theatre audience will be given the opportunity to vote via secret ballot for the most outstanding entry. The winners of the Audience Awards will be announced at the closing night party.
1. General Rules
OWF (previously known as OUT Web Fest) 2018 is seeking short-form video content intended for initial exhibition on the web and which is created by or featuring the gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, pansexual, and queer communities. OWF accepts all manner of content that explores themes associated with the LGBTQ+ identity but is encouraging programming submitted as part of a larger series (i.e. web series/serials).
2. Selection of Films
Submissions are reviewed and selected under the following criteria:
• Quality of narrative and production values;
• Conformity to the Category Criteria;
• Independent nature of the production;
• LGBTQ leading character(s), storyline, or plot;
• Directed, Produced, and/or written by LGBTQ+.
3. Submission Deadlines
• Early Submissions - Aug 1st, 2017 - Nov 1, 2017
• Regular Submissions - Nov 2, 2017 - Feb 1, 2018
• Late Submissions - Feb 2, 2018 - March 1, 2018
• Extremely Late - March 2, 2018 – April 1, 2018
4. Awards & Prizes
• "Audience Awards" will be given in the following categories:
o Docs & Experimental
5. Submission Fees
• Early Submission - $20 (USD)
• Regular Submission - $30 (USD)
• Late Submission - $40 (USD)
• Extremely Late - $50 (USD)
• Submission Fees are non-refundable.
• Submission payment made through FilmFreeway.com.
• Payment must be completed at the time of submission.
7. Incomplete Project
Incomplete projects or those that are in a state of production or post at the time of submission are still eligible for consideration if submitted within the above noted deadlines and if a complete submission is received by April 1, 2018. If you are submitting an incomplete project please email email@example.com, with “Incomplete Project” identified in the subject line. In addition, supply a thorough synopsis of the project, including a description of the shortcomings (i.e. color correction, dubbing, etc.), credits (as complete as possible), a tentative date for completion, and either an example of previous work (e.g. a web series, music video, etc.) or rough footage of the submission. We will contact you if additional information is needed.
8. Instructions for Submission
Please direct all Submissions through the Official OWF 2018 Festival Page on FilmFreeway. Be sure to read these Festival Guidelines, Official Rules, and the Submission Terms & Conditions carefully and direct any and all questions regarding submissions, along with contact information, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “OWF Submission Inquiry” in the subject field and include the following information in the body of the email: (1) a link to your project; (2) a short synopsis; (3) credits; and, (4) your contact information so that our festival support may address your concern promptly. A Submission constitutes agreement to our Festival Guidelines, Official Rules, and the Submission Terms & Conditions below so please read carefully.
OUT Web Fest 2018
1. All material submitted for consideration (“Material(s)”) must conform to all of the requirements contained in the Festival Guidelines, these Official Rules, and the Submission Terms & Conditions.
2. All persons submitting Material (“Entrants”) must be 18 years or older.
3. Any Material that is inaccessible, incomplete, or otherwise unavailable to OWF on the festival days, currently scheduled for May 19th and 20th, 2018 (the “Event”), shall not be eligible for screening.
4. Where the Material is a web series, you must have at least one (1) episode completed by the date of April 1, 2018 and ALL completed episodes of the season must be submitted for consideration and subject to the Terms hereof.
5. There is no limit on the length of Material submitted for consideration but the maximum length of the Material that will be screened is twenty-two (22) minutes.
6. All email submissions must include:
1) A link to the Material (if set to private, please provide a password);
2) A short synopsis of the Material;
3) A complete list of credits;
4) Contact information of Entrant including:
1. Full Name
2. Company (if any)
4. Phone Number
5. Email Address
7. Genre Categories include:
4) Docs & Experimental
Please choose a genre that best depicts your Material - one genre per entry. The “Pushing the Envelope” category is intended for submissions that are of an experimental, innovative, or outside-the-box variety in terms of performance, storytelling methods, technical specs, or other criteria and may include, but are not limited to, video performance art or erotica. Notwithstanding the foregoing, PORNOGRAPHY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. If OWF determines that the incorrect genre may have been chosen, we will do our best to contact the submitter regarding reclassification.
8. Once the Material is selected by OWF (“Official Selection(s)”), and upon OWF’s request, the Entrant must submit an information package which shall include the following (where applicable):
1) Bios of the content creators
2) A selection of electronic images or website
3) DVD (NTSC format only) for broadcast purposes.
OWF may contact Entrant with further instructions in the future.
9. An Entrant may submit more than one work for consideration but each work must have a separate submission form and entry fee.
10. The same Material may be submitted for entry into more than one genre but a separate submission form and submission fee must be paid for each submission.
11. All non-English submissions must either be dubbed in English or have English subtitles.
12. All Material must be the intellectual property of the Entrant(s) or the Entrant(s) must have permission for use of all content rights, including music contained in the Material (e.g. a music video). The Entrant agrees to provide proof of the foregoing upon request.
13. No proxy submissions.
14. OWF reserves the rights to use all Material including title, digital project including video clips (trailer, teaser) for presentation of awards and in the promotion and advertising of the Event and otherwise..
15. All Official Selections will be judged according to the same criteria for their respective genre.
16. All Entrants with chosen Official Selections must execute and return to OWF a license agreement within seven (7) business days of notification of selection (“License Agreement”). OWF will contact the selected Entrant with further instructions. Failure to abide by the foregoing will result in the removal of the Official Selection from the Event.
17. All State & Federal laws apply.
18. By entering the Material, each Entrant is bound by the Festival Guidelines, these Official Rules, and the Submission Terms & Conditions. OWF reserves the right to amend any of the foregoing at any time.
19. Only Entrants with Official Selections will be notified by email.
20. OWF may reject any Material for any reason whatsoever.
21. Category Criteria
1) Comedy. Comedic content with one of the following: LGBTQ+ plot, theme, character or storyline. Can be any live-action work that is not specifically drama. May include comedic horror or non-linear/non-narrative (e.g. stand-up comedy).
2) Drama. Dramatic content with one of the following: LGBTQ+ plot, theme, character or storyline. Can be any live-action, narrative-driven that is not specifically comedy. May include horror or science fiction.
4) Docs & Experimental. A Documentary with one of the following: LGBTQ+ plot, theme, news story or interview. This could be a documentary non-fiction series or another work that utilized non-fiction material to construct a story, an argument, and/or a statement to generate conversation and explore real world issues. Works that strive to expand the formal content and/or storytelling boundaries, the motion picture arts, and that express passion or personal involvement with the medium. Works submitted into this category can be non-narrative, experimental, utilize mixed-media, animation, or engage in non-traditional forms of storytelling.
5) Music Video. An original visual accompaniment and/or representation of a piece of original music (generally between 3-5 minutes in length). Can include unofficial music videos, parodies, fan/tributes, or underground.
22. Once you have been informed that you have submitted an Official Selection, you will be given the opportunity to submit your preference for the specific episode or unit of your material (“Unit”) you would prefer to screen. However, it is agreed and understood that, notwithstanding the foregoing, the manner in which the Material is screened, presented, or otherwise exhibited, including what Unit is selected, shall be determined by OWF in its sole discretion.
23. Entrant with an Official Selection must also supply the following upon request:
• A video teaser of max 15 seconds of the Material;
• The official trailer of the submitted Material (max 2 minutes).
24. OWF is not responsible for the travel or lodging of any Entrants who attend the Event.
25. In the event that OWF requests and receives physical copies of any of the Material (DVD, SD cards, USB sticks, etc.), OWF shall not be responsible for returning the same.
26. Submissions Close: 11:59 PM on April 15, 2017
OUT Web Fest 2018
SUBMISSION TERMS & CONDITIONS
The following Submission Terms & Conditions are hereby incorporated into the Official Rules and are by and between Damian Media Inc./OUT Web Fest (“OWF”) and myself (“I,” “me,” or “Entrant”). The Festival Guidelines, the Official Rules, and these Submission Terms & Conditions are hereinafter collectively referred to as the "Agreement." All capitalized terms shall have the same meaning as set forth in this Agreement.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY.
In exchange for the opportunity for my Material to be considered for exhibition at the Event, and other good and valuable consideration – including the opportunity for publicity – the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, by submitting my Material to OWF I am agreeing to all of the following:
1. OWNERSHIP. OWF and the Entrant agree that: (a) the terms of this Agreement shall not confer in Entrant any rights of ownership in the Event or any part thereof (including, but not limited to, all rights of copyright) which shall remain exclusively in OWF; (b) Entrant grants OWF the right to tape, photograph, and record Entrant’s voice, conversation and sounds, including any performance of any musical composition(s), during and in connection with my appearance at or in connection with the Event and that OWF shall be the exclusive owner of the results and proceeds of such taping, photography, and recording with the right, throughout the world, an unlimited number of times in perpetuity, to copyright, to use and to license others to use, in any manner, and in all media, now known or hereafter devised, all or any portion thereof or of a reproduction thereof in and in connection with the Event; and (c) by entering into this Agreement, Entrant is agreeing that OWF may use and license others to use, with and in connection to the Event, Entrant’s name, voice, likeness and certain biographical material, in any and all media and in the promotion, advertising, sale, publicizing and exploitation of and in connection with the Event, throughout the world in all media, an unlimited number of times in perpetuity, without any obligation to me whatsoever regarding royalties or residuals.
2. LICENSE. Entrant hereby grants to OWF, and its direct and indirect parents, subsidiaries and affiliates an irrevocable, royalty-free and non-exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, broadcast, and/or otherwise use and exploit the Material or any portion thereof, including without limitation images and/or footage including or incorporating the Material, and the right to prepare derivatives based on the Material solely for the purpose of advertising, marketing, promoting, and otherwise exploiting the Event and OWF in any manner and in and on any form, method, or media now known or hereinafter devised. I hereby agree to waive any right that I may have to inspect or approve OWF's use of the Material in connection with the Event and/or the advertising, promotion and/or marketing thereof. I further waive and relinquish any right that I have or may hereafter have in any jurisdiction, to so called "moral rights" or rights of "droit moral" with respect to results and proceeds of the Material and agree, represent, and warrant that OWF may combine, alter or modify such Material (at its option and in its sole discretion) without the consent of any third party.
3. REPRESENTATIONS & WARRANTIES. I hereby represent, warrant and covenant to the following: (a) I have read and agree to the Agreement, (b) I have the full and legal power and authority to accept the Agreement and to grant the rights outlined herein; (c) no other consents, authorizations or payments are necessary to permit OWF full use and enjoyment of the rights granted herein; (d) I will undertake and perform all of my obligations pursuant to this Agreement in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local rules, laws and regulations; (e) OWF’s use of the Material, and the exercise of the granted rights, shall not infringe upon or violate the copyrights, trademarks, trade names, rights of privacy or publicity or any other personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity, nor constitute defamation nor otherwise result in any third party liability to OWF or its successors, assigns or licensees; and (f) I have paid and will continue to pay in full all licenses, clearance fees, and any other obligations of any kind necessary for OWF's full exercise of the granted rights.
4. INDEMNIFICATION. Entrant agrees to release, discharge, defend (at OWF’s election), indemnify and hold harmless OWF, Damian Media Inc., the Judges, and each of their respective direct and indirect parents, subsidiaries, affiliated and related entities, and each of the respective principals, shareholders, officers, directors, members, employees, contractors, representatives, agents, successors, licensees and assigns of each of the foregoing (collectively, the “Indemnitees”) from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, expenses, demands and costs based upon or related to: (a) a breach of any of Entrant's representations, warranties or agreements hereunder; (b) the negligence or willful misconduct of Entrant’s agents, contractors, employees, invitees, licensees or representatives; (c) materials appearing in the Materials or otherwise that were provided to OWF (or any of its agents) by Entrant (including intellectual property owner by or submitted by Entrant); (d) the OWF or the Indemnitees use of the Materials hereunder; and, (e) the Event or resulting from acceptance, possession, or use of the prize/awards. Entrant further agrees that Entrant must not assert or maintain, or consent that others assert or maintain, any claim or action of any kind whatsoever against OWF or the Indemnitees, including without limitation on the ground that (y) anything contained in the Event or in the distribution and advertisements of the Event or (z) the use by OWF and Indemnitees of the Materials, Entrant’s intellectual property violates or otherwise infringes any of Entrant’s rights or portrays Entrant in a defamatory, false and/or negative light.
5. ASSIGNMENTS. This Agreement may not be assigned nor delegated by Entrant without the written consent of OWF. OWF may freely assign its rights and obligations under this Agreement in whole or in part to any third party. This Agreement and the rights granted herein shall inure to the benefit of OWF and its successors, assigns, licensees, and related entities.
6. NO OBLIGATION TO USE THE SUBMITTED MATERIALS. Nothing herein shall be deemed to obligate OWF to use the Materials nor Entrant's name, voice, likeness, and biographical information in or in connection with the Event or otherwise.
7. NO GUARANTEES. I agree, on behalf of myself that OWF has made no claims, representations or guarantees, and has provided no assurances, in relation to the internal process utilized by the OWF with respect to selection of Material for inclusion in the Event and that the submission of the Material neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the OWF to provide me or my or their related parties with comments, feedback or other information pertaining to the viewing or consideration of the Material by the Event for possible inclusion in the Event.
8. NON-WAIVER. No provision of this Agreement shall be deemed waived, modified or amended by either party unless such waiver, modification or amendment shall be in writing and signed by both parties hereto. A waiver of any of the terms or conditions of this Agreement in any instance shall not be deemed or construed to be a waiver of such term or condition for the future.
9. GOVERNING LAW; ARBITRATION. This Agreement is governed by and made with reference to the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of law rules. The parties hereby agree that any controversy, claim or dispute between the Entrant and OWF (including the Indemnitees) relating to or arising out of this Agreement will be submitted to final, confidential and binding arbitration before a single, neutral arbitrator in Los Angeles County, California, for determination in accordance with the rules and procedures of ADR Services, Inc., (viewable at http://www.adrservices.org/rules.php), as such will be amended from time to time, as the exclusive remedy for such controversy, claim, or dispute. The arbitrator must issue a written decision stating the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based, and will have full authority to award all remedies that would be available in court. By agreeing to this binding arbitration provision, the parties give up all rights to a trial by jury.
10. REMEDIES. In the event of breach by OWF, Entrant waives equitable relief and its respective remedies including any right to (a) terminate this Agreement; (b) rescind or terminate OWF’s right, title and interest in and to the Materials or the Event; or (c) enjoin, restrain or otherwise impair in any manner the production, distribution, advertising or exploitation of the Material and/or the Event. Entrant understands that any remedies that Entrant may have against OWF or the Indemnitees in connection with the Materials and/or the Event shall be limited solely to an action for damages at law.
11. FURTHER DOCUMENTS. Entrant agrees to execute, deliver, file any and all further instruments, and do any other acts as may be reasonably required by OWF or its assignees or licensees to further evidence, effectuate, or carry out the purposes of this Agreement.
12. HEADINGS. The headings at the beginning of each of the paragraphs hereof are for reference only and shall not affect the meaning or construction of this Agreement.
13. SEVERABILITY. In the event that any term or provision of this Agreement shall be held invalid by a competent court or governmental agency, the remainder of this Agreement shall not be affected thereby, and the parties hereto shall continue to be bound by the remaining terms hereof.
14. ENTIRE UNDERSTANDING. The provisions of this Agreement constitute the entire understanding between the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof. This Agreement will not be construed as creating a joint venture, partnership, agency or employment relationship between the parties hereto nor will either party have the right, power or authority to create any obligation or duty, express or implied, on behalf of the other. No other agreements, or understandings, whether oral or written, shall be deemed to apply the material produced by or on behalf of Entrant or the parties' relative rights and obligations with respect thereto.