Nepal International Film Festival (NIFF) is one of Nepal's premier film events. Started in 2018, NIFF was founded to celebrate various forms of storytelling and narratives from all over the world.
NIFF 2024, the seventh iteration of the event, will also be held in Kathmandu, Bhaktapur and Lalitpur (Kathmandu Valley) from 14 - 18 March 2024.
NIFF 2024 Awards under the international competitions >
Gautama Buddha Award for the Best Narrative Feature film,
Includes cash prize (1500 US$) and trophy
IFFS Don Quixote Award for the Best Live Action Feature film,
Includes a certificate
Mt. Everest Award for the Best Documentary film
Includes cash prize (1000 US$) and trophy
Bagmati Award for the Best Live Action Short film
Includes cash prize (500 US$) and trophy
NIFF 2024 Awards under the national competitions >
Best Feature film Award (with Sonam Gears)
Includes cash prize (1,00,000 NPR) and trophy
Best Short film Award
Includes cash prize (50,000 NPR) and trophy
AK Sherpa Award for the Best Documentary film
Includes cash prize (50,000 NPR) and trophy
1. Submissions under all categories should adhere to time/duration restrictions as mentioned:
Narrative feature: Between 60 and 120 minutes*
Narrative shorts: Under 30 minutes
Documentaries: Under 60 minutes
*No runtime restrictions for national productions
2. Submissions completed before 1st January 2022 will not qualify for festival selection. Films that have already been screened at past iterations of NIFF will also not qualify.
3. Submitted films under all competition segments must have English subtitles in them
4. All entries should adhere to the following video and audio format for the submission:
Video Container: MP4, MOV (for submission, preview), DCP for festival screening
Resolution: 1920 X 1080 or higher
Video Codec: h.264, PRORES
Audio: 2.0 Stereo, 5.1 surround
*Audio / Video formats for the festival screening will be communicated post selection
1. The film should be submitted as per the eligibility requirements. Films violating the eligibility requirements will be rejected.
2. All submissions (national/international), except for narrative features on national competitions, must be made via the online platform www.filmfreeway.com/niff2024. All associated submission fees, as mentioned, need to be paid to complete your submission.
3. All submissions must be made before the extended (final) deadline of 15th December 2023. All films submitted later than the extended deadline will be rejected.
1. Selection process will officially start with the end of the normal deadline (15th September 2023). Finalists / selected films will be published on 15th January 2024.
2. The NIFF 2024 selection committee and programmers will have full jurisdiction for the final selection. NIFF 2024 is not liable for any films that are rejected.
3. NIFF 2024 will request any official film materials/information not provided by the applicant at the time of the submission after selection. All missing materials/information, including the festival screener (DCP for final screening) for the selected film, must be submitted to the NIFF 2024 programmers before 31st January 2024. Failure to do this will result in the rejection of the selected films.
NOTE: All selected films must ensure the delivery of the following information relating to said films before 31st January 2024:
a. Full press kit/info kit (must include a synopsis, posters, credits, director’s bio, statement and pictures, trailer/teaser, previous awards and accolades, and any other additional information relevant to the film)
b. A DCP screener can be mailed physically or sent over the Internet.
For mail: P.O. BOX 7335, General Post Office, Dillibazaar, Kathmandu, Nepal
4. NIFF 2024 will securely archive all films received and not use them in any commercial or non-commercial venture except for screening during the 2024 festival. NIFF may also utilize the provided film info/materials for promotional works in NIFF 2024. Promotions may involve being shared over social media, printed at the festival venue, or cited / utilized by the media in relation to screening at the festival.
5. All applicants should agree that once films are selected and the selection published, they will be screened to a live audience in Kathmandu Valley. Applicants should also agree that selected films will be screened at more than one venue during the festival's duration.
6. NIFF has no policy to pay screening fees for selected films.
7. By submitting their films, applicants agree to all the rules and criteria mentioned above and agree to remain bound.