Nepal International Film Festival (NIFF) is one of Nepal's premier film events. Started in 2018, NIFF was founded to celebrate various forms of storytelling and narratives from all over the world.
NIFF 2020, the 3rd iteration of the event, will focus on activities like film screenings, workshops, seminars and various discourses and interactions. 50+ films in 5 categories, 8 discourses, 2 masterclasses and countless pre-events and interactions. Plus a sightseeing tour for international participants and delegates!
1. INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION
Best Feature-Length Film - Gautama Buddha Award ==> Trophy, Cash Prize of US$ 1500
Best Short-Length Film - Bagmati Award ==> Trophy, Cash Prize of US$ 500
Jury Award ==> Trophy only
2. DOCUMENTARY SEGMENT
Best Documentary Film - Mt. Everest Award ==> Trophy, Cash Prize of US$ 1000
3. ANIMATION SEGMENT
Best Animated Film - Manjushree Award ==> Trophy, Cash Prize of US$ 750
4. NATIONAL COMPETITION
Best Feature-Length Film ==> Trophy, Cash Prize of NPR 100,000
Best Short-Length Film ==> Trophy, Cash Prize of NPR 40,000
Jury Award ==> Trophy only
1. Submissions under all categories should adhere to time / duration restrictions as mentioned:
Feature film segments: Between 60 and 100 minutes' runtime
Short film segments: Under 30 minutes' runtime
Animation segment: Under 30 minutes' runtime
Documentary segment: Under 60 minutes' runtime
2. Submissions completed before 2017 will not qualify for festival selection. Films that have already been screened at past iterations of NIFF will also not qualify.
3. Submitted films under all competition segments must have English subtitles in them
4. All entries should adhere to the following video and audio format for both the submission and final screening:
Video Container: MP4, MOV
Resolution: 1920 X 1080 or higher
Video Codec: AVC/h.264/X264
Audio Codec: AAC, AC3
Audio Channel: 2.0 Stereo
1. The film should be submitted as per the eligibility requirements. Films violating the eligibility requirements will be rejected.
2. All international submissions and submissions for the Documentary and Animation competition segments should be conducted via www.filmfreeway.com. National Competition submissions can be made through a form-fill-up at www.niff.org.np or also through www.filmfreeway.com
3. Submissions can be made with both online screeners / physical copy of films. All shipping costs are to be born by the applicant.
4. Selection process will officially start with the end of the standard deadline, will finalists will only be published 30 days after the end of the extended deadline. All films submitted later than the extended deadline will be rejected.
5. The selection committee and the NIFF 2020 program committee will have full jurisdiction for the final selection. The committee is not liable towards any films that are rejected.
6. NIFF 2020 Program Committee will manually request selected films for downloadable version of provided screeners, alongside graphics, trailers etc. Physical copies (USB-C recommended) of screeners can also be shipped to NIFF 2020 Secretariat in Kathmandu, Nepal.
7. NIFF 2020 will securely archive all films received online as well as through post, and will not use it in any commercial or non-commercial venture ever. NIFF can however utilize 10% of the film's footage / stills for promotional works in NIFF 2020 and future iterations of NIFF.
8. All applicants should agree that once films are selected and selection published, they will be screened to a live audience in Kathmandu. Applicants should also agree that selected films will be screened at more than one venue (s) in Nepal (for eg: parallel screens in multiple cities) all within the duration of the festival.
9. NIFF does not have a policy to pay screening fees for selected films.
10. By submitting their films, applicants agree to all the rules and criteria mentioned above, and also agree to remain bound by them.