Nevertheless Film Festival elevates the work of womxn filmmakers, as every film in the program will have at least 50% womxn filmmakers in leadership positions. The Festival does not define filmmaker as meaning only “director” -- in order to qualify, filmmakers can be producers, editors, screenwriters, cinematographers, and more.
Inspired by “Nevertheless, she persisted,” the rallying cry for barrier-breakers everywhere, the Festival was established in response to the rising conversations about equal representation in the film industry, as well as personal experiences in film production by the members of the festival team.
The women who make up the festival team are all seasoned film and entertainment professionals. Most of us are current or former staff of festivals including Sundance, Tribeca, Telluride, DOC NYC, Mill Valley, New York Film Festival, and more!
Film festivals around the world have announced initiatives to have equal representation in their programs within the next few years -- but Nevertheless Film Festival is a platform for womxn voices from the start.
Taking place in vibrant Ann Arbor, Michigan, Nevertheless Film Festival amplifies the voices of womxn filmmakers, inspires audiences of all ages, and engages the community in conversation about the power of equal representation behind the camera.
Please see the qualification rules below.
- In order to qualify for submission, at least 50% of the specified leadership positions on your film’s crew must be held by people who self-identify as womxn:
Music Supervisor / Composer
- Entry fee is non-refundable
- Films in any language other than English must include English subtitles
- Accepted exhibition formats: DCP, BluRay, .MOV
- If accepted, filmmakers are responsible for cost of print traffic shipping
- Films may not have aired on television or online prior to the Festival
- Festival does not promise ability to pay screening fees
- Accepted films will be asked to provide press materials (film stills, clips, etc) for use on the Festival's website, social media, trailer, printed program, and more