【The 27th ifva Awards】
ifva was founded by the Hong Kong Arts Centre in 1995. Over the years, ifva has established itself as Asia's pioneering force in short film, animation and media arts, by providing a unique and professional platform for Hong Kong and Asian creative talents to unite, exchange and promote their works.
With the aims to promote short film and media arts and defend independent creative spirit, every year, in addition to the professionally renowned ifva Awards and ifva Festival, ifva also organises a series of extended programmes including the followings: “CINEMA 2.0” media arts exhibition examines different subject matters at the intersection of arts, culture, technology and society; “All About Us” celebrates diversity and the creative voices of young people from the ethnic minority backgrounds; “Jockey Club ifva Everywhere” makes film and media arts accessible to people from all walks of life; and Community and School Tour encourages students to experience and appreciate different media art forms.
1. To discover and nurture the next currents for the local creative industry of moving images
2. To encourage independent spirit on creativity, aesthetics and innovative use of the medium
3. To encourage cross-fertilization of creativity, knowledge, and experience on media creation among different regions in Asia
(1) SHORT FILM | Asian New Force Category
Any type of film (such as fiction, documentary, experimental, except commercials) can be submitted to this category.
(2) ANIMATION | Asia Division**
Any type of animation (such as fiction, documentary, experimental, except commercials) can be submitted to this category.
*For Hong Kong division, please visit www.ifva.com for details of other categories and submissions.
(FilmFreeway is ONLY available for entrants that are permanent residents of Asian countries, to enter the category Asian New Force and Animation – Asia Division. For other categories, please refer to our official website for details and submissions.)
**For Animation Category, all entries from Hong Kong and Asia will be assessed together.
Details will be announced in August 2021.
【The 27th ifva Awards Details and Regulations】
In the event of any discrepancies between the below rules and regulation, the full version of the 27th ifva Awards Details and Regulations shall prevail. The submission to ifva implies acceptance of this Details and Regulations. The English text of the Details and Regulations is the authentic and binding version.
(I) Basic Rules & Regulations
1. There is no restriction on the number of entries, but each entry can only be entered for one category.
2. Works that have been submitted to previous ifva Awards will not be accepted.
3. Works that have been showcased, entered, or have won prizes in other contests may also be accepted.
4. The screener cannot be replaced after the submission deadline, 11th October 2021 (Monday) 6:00pm (Hong Kong Time). Only the original uploaded version will be viewed by the jury panel.
5. The Organiser and Jury Panel reserve the right to disqualify any Entry that does not comply with the rules and regulations of this competition stipulated herein. The decisions of the Organiser and Jury Panel shall be final and conclusive.
(II) Entry Requirements
1. Entry Fee:
For Entrants of the Asian New Force Category and the Animation Category (Asia Division), an Entry Fee of US15.00 per entry shall apply upon submission if the Entry is submitted after 12th August 2021 and before the deadline. This Entry Fee is not refundable under any circumstances.
2. Submission Links:
Only uploaded video in FilmFreeway or Vimeo link is accepted;
3. Production & Completion Date:
Must be produced or updated on or after 1st October 2020. Re-submission of the past entrant works will not be considered.
The maximum running time of Entries is 30 minutes (including end credits).
The Entry must contain English subtitles.
(III) Entrant Eligibilities
1. Entrants have no age restriction.
2. Asian Nationality:
Entrants must be nationals / permanent residents of any Asian countries and regions* (excluding Hong Kong permanent residents). Entrants must submit a photocopy of valid identification documents (e.g. passport) for eligibility verification. The Organiser reserves the right to disqualify any submitted work if the entrant fails to provide such documents.**
3. Eligibility in Case of Joint-Entrants:
If the Entry has more than one entrant, at least half of the joint-entrants*** must be nationals / permanent residents of any Asian countries and regions (excluding Hong Kong permanent residents). Individual particulars of each entrant must be submitted along with the Entry Form. If an entry has the same number of joint-entrants from Hong Kong and Asian countries, such joint-entrants may decide among themselves which category / division the entry shall enter.
*List of eligible Asian countries and regions:
Afghanistan; Armenia; Azerbaijan; Bahrain; Bangladesh; Bhutan; Brunei; Cambodia; China; China (Macau S.A.R) ; Cyprus ; East Timor (Timor-Leste); Georgia; India; Indonesia; Iran; Iraq; Israel; Japan; Jordan; Kazakhstan; North Korea; Kuwait; Kyrgyzstan; Laos; Lebanon; Malaysia; Maldives; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Oman; Palestine, Pakistan; Philippines; Qatar; Saudi Arabia; Singapore; Sri Lanka; South Korea; Syria; Taiwan; Tajikistan; Thailand; Turkey; Turkmenistan; United Arab Emirates; Uzbekistan; Vietnam; Yemen.
(List of Asian countries and regions is taken from United Nations: https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methodology/m49/#fn1)
**The Organiser has the sole and final decision in relation to issues which have not been covered in the Details and Regulations, the Entry Form and the Work Submission Form. The Organiser reserves the right to revise such regulations and forms at any time.
***Entrants must be the film director or main creator/ artist of the entry.
【 Declaration & Letter of Consent 】
1. Hong Kong Arts Centre (the “Organiser”) has the sole and absolute discretion to make final decisions in relation to issues which have not been covered in the ifva Rules and Regulations, the Entry Form and the Work Submission Form. The Organiser reserves the right to revise such regulations and forms from time to time.
2. The Entrant must be the sole and exclusive owner of the copyright in the Entry. Entries should not be infringements of any rights of any third party. If the copyright of an Entry is owned by more than one person, or by a third person / party, please submit the Entry together with authorised letter(s) from all the copyright holder(s) of such Entry to ifva for the purpose of verifying its entry eligibility. The Entrant should only use a third party’s music excerpts, images, or film/video segments in the Entry with prior written consent of the relevant third party. The Entrant must acknowledge any authorised use of music excerpts, images or film/video segments in the Entry in accordance with relevant copyright laws. The Organiser shall not be responsible, whether directly or indirectly, for any liability arising whatsoever or howsoever from any violation of any copyright laws. The Entrant agrees and undertakes to accept and be responsible for all such liability arising therefrom.
3. The Entrant may at its sole and absolute discretion determine the entry category and shall be responsible for the decision. The Organiser can advise the suitability of the selected entry category and has the final decision on the entry’s eligibility.
4. Once an Entry has been submitted to “The 27th ifva Awards”, or awarded or shortlisted as Finalists in “The 27th ifva Festival” by the Organiser (even before notification to the Entrant), the Entrant is not entitled to withdraw the Entry from “The 27th ifva Festival” for any reason unless with written consent from the Organiser. The Organiser reserves all rights to take legal action against any party for any withdrawal of the Entry from “The 27th ifva Festival”.
5. The Organiser has the right to present/screen any Entry which has been awarded and/or shortlisted as Finalists during “The 27th ifva Festival” (March 2022).
6. In the event that an Entry is awarded and/or shortlisted for presentation in “The 27th ifva Festival”, the Organiser shall have the right to use no more than 3 minutes footage or 10% of the total running time of the Entry, whichever is longer, for promotional purposes in any or all media.
7. In the event that an Entry is awarded and/or shortlisted for presentation in “The 27th ifva Festival”, the Organiser shall have the right to arrange non-commercial screenings and curate programme on online platform for the Entry in Hong Kong and other international cities within a year from the date of its award presentation ceremony, provided that the Organiser shall notify the Entrant of such arrangement in advance.
8. Prior to any commercial use of an Entry, the Organiser shall enter into a separate agreement with the copyright holder of the Entry.
9. Unless an Entrant objects in writing, the Entrant agrees and acknowledges that Hong Kong Film Archive has the perpetual right to keep one copy of each winning Entry for archival or research purposes. The Entrant agrees and authorises the Organiser to provide his/her contact details to Hong Kong Film Archive for the said archival arrangement.
10. Unless an Entrant objects in writing, the Organiser has the perpetual right to keep one copy of each winning Entry for educational, archival and research purposes.
11. The DVD or USB screener submitted by the Entrant will not be returned.
12. In the event of any discrepancies between the English and Chinese versions of the above terms, the English version shall prevail.
This Declaration & Letter of Consent shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.