HUFF aims to promote underwater film making and appreciation of the beauty and diversity of all things underwater as well as encouraging the art of underwater videography. Underwater videographers from around the world are invited to submit entries for consideration for screening.
The top three films in each category, as selected by an audience vote, will be announced at the end of each show. The cumulative audience vote winners, from all shows, will be announced at the last show.
1. The video must be substantially original video taken underwater by the author(s), for example, 50% original underwater video. Except for Novice, the video must be processed solely by the authors.
2. The original underwater content must be shot in the wild -- no aquarium or set up shots.
3. Other video such as topside, archival or other video may be used, for example 50% topside, archival or other video,
4. The video must be in MP4 1080p format and be less than 2 GB.
5. The video must not depict or imply any stressful or abusive actions towards marine life or the environment.
6. By submitting a work to this event, the authors grant HUFF the right to show the work, should it be accepted, in one or more showings at the 2022 HUFF presentation and virtually. Excerpts from submitted videos may also be used in the trailer for the festival.
Please provide relevant info, including the following:
1. The name of the film.
2. The name of the filmmaker(s).
3. A brief introduction of the film (100 words or less).
4. A brief introduction of the filmmaker(s) (100 words or less).
5. Photo of the filmmaker(s).
6. A Contact email for the filmmaker(s)
7. In case of Novice entry, name of person who assisted in post processing.
8. How did you become aware of the HUFF?
By submitting the above information along with your film to the 2022 Houston Underwater Film Festival, you will be declaring that all the included information is true to the best of your knowledge and that you have all legal rights, including legal rights to the music, to submit this film for public screening at the 2022 HUFF. Your submission of the film is your affirmation to the truth of this declaration, in lieu of a signature.
Videos will be accepted for screening at HUFF based on the decision of a jury of HUPS members who are filmmakers. The goal of the committee is to assemble the best possible underwater video show regardless of origin of the works. The jury will consider the following criteria in reaching their decisions.
1. Coherency. Does the video have an appealing theme, story, point of view or message.
2. Technical excellence.
3. Adherence to rules and guidelines.
4. Aesthetics -- music, dramatic impact, humor, etc.
5. Commercial content is discouraged.
Films must be submitted through FilmFreeway no later than January 10, 2022. Acceptance status will be communicated no later than March 1, 2022 via email.