DUE TO THE ONGOING COVID-19 SITUATION, THE FESTIVAL HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO OCTOBER 2023.
After much deliberation on how we should proceed, we've concluded that we don't want to compromise on the experience the festival will deliver. THANK YOU for your patience, support and to all the talented filmmakers who submitted! Please check back for updates. We hope that you will join us next year!
Hollywood KTown International Film Festival (HKIFF) is a non-profit organization that aims to provide a greater appreciation for Korean, Asian American and Global entertainment, arts and culture through cinema. We are developing a space to connect, create diplomatic relations, and to collaborate with other filmmakers around the world.
HKIFF believes that entertainment is an important part of every society's cultural development and we hope to become a unique platform for independent filmmakers and talent to spread their creativity and further promote a global network and cultural exchange.
HKIFF is dedicated to presenting films of upcoming talent with cinematic creativity to film lovers in the Los Angeles area. The 1st annual date of the festival will be October 1st through 2nd, at a Theater (TBA). HKIFF will present all types of work, including short films, documentaries, features, animation, music videos, student projects and online content from emerging artists. There will be receptions where attendees will get the chance to meet and network.
Winners will be presented with a specially commissioned award at the Gala event and will be expected to attend in person or have a representative attend to accept your award and make an acceptance speech. Preference will be given to filmmakers who commit to attending the festival.
INTERNATIONAL FILM COMPETITION (Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards from each category):
• Best Feature Film
• Best Narrative Short
• Best International Feature Film
• Best International Short Film
• Best Animation
• Best Original Score
• Best Documentary Feature
• Best Documentary Short
• Best Student Film
• Best Director
• Best Cinematography
• Rising Star Award
ONLINE CONTENT AWARDS (Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards from each category):
• Music Video
1. SUBMISSION DEADLINE
- The festival has been postponed to October 2022 due to Covid-19. We are still accepting submissions from April 1st through August 12th. Submissions will be accepted starting August 1, 2020. The early deadline is April 1, 2022; the regular deadline is June 30, 2022; the late deadline is July 22, 2022; Extended Deadline is August 12, 2022. Early entry is encouraged.
- The entry fee is non-refundable.
- The films that have participated in previous competitions or have been screened and awarded in other festivals are all acceptable.
- All films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and the filmmaker must have cleared all rights for music and exhibition.
- Student Filmmakers must include a photocopy of a current, valid student ID or proof of enrollment with the preview copy of their submitted work.
- Productions that are not in English must be subtitled or dubbed in English.
- The application and submission process is managed entirely online through FilmFreeway. The registration is completed when the entry fee is paid.
- The festival will not return your screening and exhibition copies.
- Once a film is submitted for entry, it may not be withdrawn.
- Films must have licensed clearances on all graphics, locations, logos, materials, music and personal appearances before submitting.
- Films must be submitted via online screener ONLY. We do not accept films sent over by DVD. We do not accept subsequent cuts or more complete versions of submitted films, therefore changing or updating the originally submitted link is not accepted. Only one version of the film will be reviewed by programmers.
2. SELECTION AND SCREENING
- Experts from the film industry, including filmmakers, producers and others will be elected by the Board Members. Jury members will evaluate the festival official selection.
- All juries’ decisions are finals and juries are not obliged to give any feedback regarding the film.
- The official selection list will be announced at proper time on the festival website, and also via your email September 1, 2022.
- The festival will design an “official selection” logo for all the chosen films.
- Screenings are scheduled at the discretion of HKIFF and will make every effort will be made to adhere to the published schedule, HKIFF reserves the right to make changes at any time for any reason and will not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in scheduling.
No film may be withdrawn from the festival programme after its selection.
- All film entries selected for the Festival grant HKIFF the rights to use footage, stills and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes.
- The festival website will display the following for each accepted film:
• Original and international title;
• Country and year of production;
• Running time;
• Short synopsis;
• Poster or production still photo of the film;
• Trailer (15-30 seconds);
• Director’s name (if possible also biography)
• Screening schedule (date, time).
- Marketing materials on the part of the participants, such as postcards and flyers, can be sent to the festival’s office before September 15th.
3. TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By entering your film for 2022 HKIFF, you authorize that your work is cleared for festival exhibition and accept full legal responsibility for the intellectual property therein. Entry into the festival constitutes permission to exhibit your work at the 2022 HKIFF venue. HKIFF is also hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless the HKIFF from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered. By submitting your film via FilmFreeway you acknowledge that the festival will not pay to present your work.