Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival is the biggest short film festival in rural Australia with 140 short films, masterclasses, events and panels over 4 days in Gympie, Queensland.
Celebrated as ‘triumphant’ by Australia’s ScreenHub, our festival is dedicated to inspiring and connecting audiences through short films that champion the richness of the human spirit. The small town of Gympie comes alive with film lovers from far and wide every October in a joyous celebration of storytelling.
The festival glows with a widely-renowned mix of country hospitality and global ideas—offering homestays and transport for visiting filmmakers, engaging conversations with interviewers and locals, and plenty of opportunity to party late with filmmakers, speakers, hosts and locals at the festival’s own Golden Bar. See the thoughts of some of our previous filmmakers in the reviews below.
In 2020 Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival offers a prize pool of $5000 AUD value; selected shorts compete for a range of jury awards, including Best Short Film, Best Australian Short Film, Best Student Short Film, Best Cinematography and Best Script.
Our unique selection process involves submitted films being viewed by multiple screener groups across Queensland, who feedback their thoughts and shortlist a selection for the Festival Director. This inclusive process catches niche gems and represents a broader spectrum of film taste.
‘Heart of Gold is a rare festival, in that its remit is focused but also their quality of content that they screen is stellar.’ (Festival Formula)
Heart of Gold lovingly curates sessions of short films from all genres that best capture our vision to screen films that are heart-warming, thought-provoking and entertaining. The films can be edgy, they can be groundbreaking and they can be downright hilarious – as long as they beat with a good, strong heart. The film festival's four-day program includes up to 30 sessions of brilliant short films, acclaimed features, parties, live music, filmmaker Q+A’s, interactive masterclasses and hearty discussions with delicious food and wine.
In 2020 Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival are offering a prize pool of $5000 AUD value; selected shorts compete for a range of jury awards, which this year include but is not limited to: Best Short Film, Best Australian Short Film, Best Student Short Film, Best Cinematography and Best Script.
1. Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival is open to all film genres and films from all countries. However, film content should be in line with the festival’s ethos and vision. We are seeking films that are: positive, hilarious, witty, whimsical, nourishing, well-crafted, inspiring, thought-provoking, entertaining, joyous, uplifting, quirky, enlightening, ground breaking.
If you are unsure of eligibility, please contact email@example.com
2. The producer grants the Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival the rights to:
(a) Exhibit the film at the 2020 Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival.
(b) Exhibit the film at any tour, screening or event which is organised by or affiliated with Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival in the six months prior to and the twelve months subsequent to the 2020 Festival.
(c) Reproduce the film for inclusion as part of a compilation.
(d) Exhibit the film either in part or in total for promotional purposes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you wish to discuss these terms further. Some flexibility is possible depending on circumstances.
3. The producer warrants to the Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival that they have obtained all the necessary permissions to enter this film and that the film does not infringe the rights, including copyright, of any third party. This includes the use of music and literary material (i.e. if your film is based on a novel or poem).
4. Entries will not be considered valid until the entry fee has been paid in full. The entry fee is non-refundable.
5. Entries cannot be withdrawn after submission.
6. If your film is selected for the competition you will be sent a letter of confirmation from no later than Friday 28 August, 2020. Digital master files must be received by 14 September 2020.
7. Materials submitted in the initial entry process will not be returned.
8. Films in languages other than English must be supplied with English subtitles.
9. The Heart of Gold International Short Film Festival will only screen productions finished As a high-resolution Apple ProRes, H.264 or MP4 digital file (the following codecs will NOT be accepted FLV, WMV, AVI, or any low res files). Please also ensure your films are supplied with a stereo mix only and not a Dolby 5.1 mix) To ensure your entry is screened correctly, you must also include ratio details (e.g. 1920 x 1080). Unfortunately we cannot screen DCPs.
10. Please do not send a DVD directly to the festival.
Please note: ENTERING A FILM IN THIS FESTIVAL IMPLIES THE ACCEPTANCE OF THESE REGULATIONS. Contact email@example.com with any concerns.
Response from festival:
Thank you Tom, our festival is delighted you were able to attend. One of the key focuses of our festival is providing a great welcome and ongoing hospitality to our filmmakers, so we love that you have found it to be just so. Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Tom, we look forward to viewing your next submission. :) . Paula Jayne