The mission of the International Nature Film Festival is to raise the awareness of the general public regarding the protection and conservation of biological diversity, natural resources, values and beauties of the world with a special emphasis on Europe and the Carpathian Basin through the display of films connected to the topic.
The festival brings a good opportunity for filmmakers, professionals and the public to meet and initiate conversation on these important issues through different meetings and conferences within the framework of the event and to enjoy nature films at the same time. The side events of the festival bring closer the most important questions of nature protection and conservation to the public in a way that not only transfer information but also entertain the visitors.
In 2017, nearly 300 films and several thousand guests arrived to Gödöllő from 58 countries. Awarded films of the Festival from May 2017 received a total of 93 international festival awards.
Awards & Prizes
At the 2018’s Festival Gala the total sum of the prizes will amount to €16.000.
• The European Blue Ribbon (the festival’s grand prize)
• The Special Prize for Films Dealing with Highlighted Themes
• The best film regarding water and the protection of wetland habitats
• International Nature Film Review - 6 section prizes
• Carpathian Basin Film Review - 3 section prizes
• The 2016 Rockenbauer Memorial Prize (prize for the Hungarian creator or creative workshop that produces nature films of enduring value)
• The creative prize for Hungarians living in the Carpathian Basin outside of Hungary (outstanding Hungarian work, filmmaker’s special prize)
• Prize for the best young filmmaker of 2018
• Special awards
We thank the featured supporters of the festival for the section and technical awards.
Rules & Terms
Application dates: November 15, 2017 and 24.00 pm (CET) February 28, 2018.
Films submitted to the International Film Review can be submitted to the Carpathian Basin Film Review as well if the film meets the requirements listed below.
For the Carpathian Basin Film Review only and exclusively those films can be submitted which are about the Carpathian Basin’s natural and cultural values!
In the case of both competitions films produced exclusively in or after 2016 can be submitted - which were not submitted to the 2016-2017’s festivals. If the film was produced before 2016, but it was significantly modified or updated it can also be submitted.
The official languages of the Festival are English and Hungarian. The participants are required to upload or send any information in English.
For the International Film Review the submitted films must be in English language or have English subtitles.
For the Carpathian Basin Film Review English language is not obligatory if the film is Hungarian. In case of films not in Hungarian language, filmmakers must provide the films with English voice or subtitles.
Entries can be made in the following ways:
• Our official entry form available from November 15, 2017!
Submissions are valid on all platforms mentioned before, but please 1 film submit only on 1 platform! If you submit the same film on several platforms, we accept only the latest one. We prefer the festival’s official entry form.
The submission to our Festival is free of charge.
Requested information for valid entry:
For valid entry you should add all the requested information and materials!
Entries must contain the category in which the film is submitted.
The requested information:
• submitter: name, e-mail address, telephone number
• submitted film’s basic data: original title, English title, completion date, production country, running time, language, English synopsis (max. 500 characters)
• director(s): name, year of birth, nationality, e-mail address, biography in English (max. 500 characters)
• credits: director(s), animation director(s), director(s) of photography, editor(s), music editor(s), producer, distributor
The requested materials:
• the submitted film (upload it or add an online link for it)
• photo of the director (min. 300 DPI quality and with min. 800x600 resolution)
• 3 stills from the film (min. 300 DPI quality and with min. 800x600 resolution)
• trailer (optional)
• English text (in srt format or in a Word document with in-out timecodes – can be required if the film is submitted to the International Film Review and it is not in English language, or it is selected for screening and it is not in Hungarian language)
Please upload or send the biography in Word or in txt file, not in PDF. Do not use upper case with any of the information added.
REQUESTING SCREENING COPY
The submitted films will be first evaluated by the pre-jury and selected films will be evaluated by the Festival Jury. If the film is not submitted to the appropriate category, the Jury has the right to move in the right category. The filmmakers of the selected films will be informed by April 15, 2018 whether their film was selected for the competition. Until April 25 we will provide you a FTP accessibility where you will be able to upload your screening copy.
The screening copies of the selected films must arrive by May 1, 2018.
The screening copy should be uploaded with the following min. quality:
• File format: Mpeg4, mov, mxf, M2ts etc.
• Resolution: min. 1920x1080 (full HD)
• Bit rate: min. 20 Mbit
You can also post the screening copy on DVD or Blu-ray disk (we prefer the online sharing):
(Carplove International Nonprofit Ltd.)
Budapest Jászdózsa street 30.
The entrants must cover the shipping costs of all materials entered.
With the entry of a film to the Festival the filmmaker agrees that the organizer of the Festival can screen the submitted film during the festival at different locations of the Festival. Film parts (max. 3 minutes) may be used by the International Nature Film Festival Gödöllő during different events and demonstrations (educational and exhibition screenings) and in the different fields of media (with reference to the filmmaker) to propagate the Festival for non-commercial purposes.
The Festival is able to translate the films and screen them with Hungarian voice or subtitle. All festival documents will be published in Hungarian and English.
The festival does not pay any screening fee to the filmmakers.
All Festival programs are free of charge.
The decisions of the pre-Jury and the Jury are final and cannot be changed, there is no opportunity for appeal.
Please note! Entries with missing information will not be accepted! The organizers will ask the participants to complete documents only once. If the participants do not respond and provide the relevant information within the deadlines, their entry will not be accepted.
The organizers will provide accommodation (1 night, maximum 2 people) for the filmmakers for the day of the screening of their film and also the opportunity to participate in the professional activities (conferences, meetings) of the event (preliminary registration is required).
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
The organizers of the Festival will handle all personal data given to them in connection with the Festival entry confidentially; they will use them only for the registration and for festival publications and will not hand them over to any third party. In case of data and files uploaded to FilmFreeway the same data protection rules will be applied. The films uploaded to these sites mentioned before will be used exclusively for preliminary selection. The films not selected by the jury for screening in the festival program will be deleted.