Thank you for considering a submission of your film to the second annual Geneva Downtown Film Festival. The goal of the Geneva Downtown Film Festival is to support the fresh ideas of film and video artists who have a story to tell and the passion to tell it. The Geneva Downtown Film Festival celebrates innovation, diverse voices, and the exploration of film as an expressive medium. It believes in cultivating a community of filmmakers and film lovers of all levels of experience, and welcomes work from makers at any stage of their careers: students to experienced filmmakers; emerging artists to established professionals. This year, the Geneva Downtown Film Festival invites filmmakers to submit their short works (20 minutes maximum) in any genre, including but not limited to: animation, documentary, live action narrative, and video essay.
There will be two categories for submission: Student (high school and undergraduate) and General. Please see below for detailed submission guidelines.
Judges will select the best films and runners up from each category, and these will be screened at The Smith Opera House, a historic site in the heart of the Finger Lakes, on February 10, 2023. Awards will be given for the best film in each category, and an Audience Choice prize of $500 will be awarded to one film on the night of the screening. All works selected for public screening will receive official Geneva Downtown Film Festival graphics for use in their marketing.
Please read all of the submission guidelines carefully.
1. Submissions must be 20 minutes or less and can be in any genre.
2. Submissions must be submitted via FilmFreeway by December 31, 2022.
3. Students submitting in the “Student” category are required to upload a photograph of their student ID to the “Files and Attachments” section of their project page.
4. Material must be suitable for all audiences.
5. The Geneva Downtown Film Festival has no festival premiere, public, or internet broadcast eligibility requirements. If your work has appeared in other festivals or on online platforms such as Vimeo, it is still eligible for consideration.
6. Submissions in the General category must be accompanied by a non-refundable $10 submission fee (waivers available).
7. The resolution of films and videos should be at least 1920 x 1080 pixels (16 x 9 pixel ratio)
8. The Geneva Downtown Film Festival has no obligation to disclose information about the selection process and will not provide notes, feedback, or information regarding the submitted work.
9. By submitting your work, you give permission to the Geneva Downtown Film Festival to screen your film publicly, should it be selected.
10. By submitting to the Geneva Downtown Film Festival, you represent that the film or video is your original work
11. By submitting your work to the Geneva Downtown Film Festival, you represent that you have obtained appropriate permissions for any third-party material (including but not limited to: music, logos, trademarks, or stock footage). You are responsible for securing the appropriate permissions, clearances, and releases from the legal rightsholder for all material in your film. The Geneva Downtown Film Festival is not responsible for ensuring that you have obtained licensing rights or other clearance for these materials at any point during the application process, nor will it be held responsible for the inclusion of unlicensed and uncleared copyrighted materials in the final version of the project. The Geneva Downtown Film Festival expressly disclaims any responsibility or liability for any unlicensed or uncleared materials included in your film. Projects that are accepted into the festival will be required to sign a waiver stating that no materials in the film violate a trademark or copyright.