FIN Kids is a film festival for young people and their families with locations across Atlantic Canada. It offers FREE daytime films screenings and hands-on workshops for school groups and youth organizations as well as competitions that showcase and award youth-made films.
Formerly known as ViewFinders, FIN Kids has changed its name to reflect its status as an integral part of the FIN family of events and activities, which also includes the Atlantic International Film Festival in September. Our mission is the same: to present curated movies and shorts exploring vast emotional journeys that engage, entertain and invigorate Atlantic Canadians.
Since 2002, FIN Kids has grown into an Atlantic Canada-wide youth initiative that brings the FIN experience to school groups and communities across the region.
Each year FIN Kids presents the best in regional, national and international films for youth, tackling issues from multiculturalism and community to sustainability and creativity. The program’s activities introduce students to the wonderful world of filmmaking through hands-on media workshops, and the FIN Kids Film Competition provides a platform for young filmmakers - a proven launching pad for the next generation of talent.
FIN Kids is the first step in a life full of experiencing and celebrating the art of film and filmmaking.
Throughout the year, the FIN Kids team is hard at work to bring a whole series of activities and programs to young people across the Atlantic provinces. Our 2022 tour included stops at Cineplex Entertainment venues in the following locations:
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
New Glasgow, Nova Scotia
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
1. Works submitted in languages other than English must be subtitled in English.
2. Submissions may be Fiction, Documentary, Animation of any length, but must be appropriate for an audience under the age of 19. We accept Youth-Made films alongside filmmakers of any age.
3. If selected for FIN Kids, feature exhibition prints may be presented in DCP and all shorts will be compiled from digital files. You will also be asked to provide access to a download of your film file in the appropriate specifications for secure online streaming. Please also note that, while not yet mandatory, the inclusion of Closed Captioning is preferred and will become mandatory in future years.
4. Filmmakers will be notified of the selection committee’s final decisions by August, 11, 2023.
5. All shipping costs to Halifax for accepted exhibition copies must be paid by the participant. The Festival will pay shipping costs for their return back to the participant after the Festival.
6. The Festival will make every effort to ensure the safe-keeping of all productions submitted for competition which are in its care or control. However, the Applicant in applying to the Festival agrees to release the Festival and its representatives from any and all claims arising in any way from the submission of materials by or on behalf of the Applicant, whether on disc, digital file or otherwise to the Festival.
7. The Festival retains the power to decide on all matters not specifically dealt with in these regulations.
8. Notice of participation implies recognition of these regulations. In any dispute, the decisions of the Festival will be final.