Welcome to the inaugural Vidlings & Tapeheads Film Festival!
VTFF is dedicated to promoting unconventional narrative film. We're looking for films with a unique voice that tell stories in an unusual way, experiment with the medium, or explore eclectic subject matter and themes. We encourage and celebrate subversiveness, innovative use of materials and budget, and quirky independent work that doesn't fit comfortably within any one genre!
Call them weird, cult, or niche—we know a V&T film when we see one. And though filmmaking is a collaborative effort, we have an unabashed appreciation of the auteur. We love the the absurd humor and magical realism of Terry Gilliam and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the irreverent sincerity and dysfunctional iconoclasm of John Waters and Jane Campion, the uncanny cleverness and dark mystery of Davids Cronenberg and Lynch, the tactile humanity and visceral goofiness of Jan Švankmajer and Stephen Chow, the timeless avant-garde dreamscapes of Maya Deren and Slavko Vorkapić, and the haunting beauty and moral ambiguity of Hayao Miyazaki.
We believe that filmmaking should be accessible to all and that content transcends medium. So we welcome all work whether it was shot on VHS, Super 8, an old iPhone, a DSLR, 35mm, or a 5K Red Scarlet. In fact, we have a special place in our hearts for so-called obsolete tech. We connect with characters who are outsiders, freaks, and misfits—both in front of and behind the camera!
The Vidlings & Tapeheads Film Festival aims to a curate a diverse and engaging program from a progressive group of unconventional filmmakers from the U.S. and around the world. We invite people of all ages, genders, ethnic backgrounds, orientations, and walks of life to submit!
We're throwing an opening night party the day before the fest. Check in, hang out, meet your fellow filmmakers as well as the local artists and musicians in attendance. Bands will play, dancing may happen!
You can't have an opening night party without a closing night party too! After the final block screens, there'll be more music and festivities, followed by the awards presentation. After the party is over, those of us still standing will hang out and hit some local eats.
Party info and bands TBA!!
Awards & Prizes
Awards will be selected by a jury of working filmmakers, film critics, and film scholars.
Best of Fest
Best of Fest (Student)
Best Fiction Short
Best Documentary Short
Best Animated Short
Best Made-in-Michigan Short
Our prize package is currently being developed. Stay tuned—we'll be making a big hullabaloo about it here and via all kinds of social medias soonishly!
Rules & Terms
• Submitted films must be no longer than 15 minutes and have been completed after Jan. 1, 2016.
• Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway online screener or password-protected Vimeo/YouTube link. Physical screeners are not accepted.
• No commercials or works in progress.
• Entry fees are non-refundable.
• Do not send a press kit until your film has been selected.
• All Non-English language films must have legible English subtitles.
• Multiple submissions must have separate forms and appropriate fees for each film.
• The selection committees’ decisions are final.
• If your film is selected your screening print and one backup must arrive by June 20th, 2017.
• If your film is selected you must provide 2 high resolution screen shots and a secured online link for press/promotion by June 14th, 2017. You will also be asked to provide press materials and a trailer for the website, posters and flyers.
• All filmmakers under the age of 18 must have a legal guardian submit for you.
• Filmmakers must be authorized to submit their films to the Vidlings & Tapeheads Film Festival (VTFF) and are responsible for the accuracy of all information provided on the application form.
The VTFF may use images, sounds and excerpts from the films for promotional purposes in all media including the Vidlings & Tapeheads website and may present accepted films at the 2017 VTFF.
You indicate that you have read and understand the VTFF entry guidelines and rules and regulations and that you agree to the VTFF Terms and Conditions. Furthermore, you indicate that you shall indemnify and hold harmless the V&T and Lethal Finger LLC from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.