A platform for independent filmmaking, creative expression and immersive entertainment, Tribeca supports emerging and established voices, discovers award-winning filmmakers, curates innovative and interactive experiences, and introduces new technology and ideas through panels, premieres, exhibitions, and live performance.
NOTE: This FilmFreeway listing is open for Feature Films only (films with a total runtime of 40 minutes or longer including credits). To submit a Short Film, please see our listing here:
Awards & Prizes
In 2016, cash awards totaled $160,000 for across all award categories, in addition to over $150,000 in artwork, products and in-kind services. Awards for the TFF17 may be modified.
US Narrative Competition
• Open narrative films produced in the US having at least a North American “Premiere” at the Festival (see eligibility requirements above).
• Eligible for: Best Narrative Feature, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Actor and Best Actress.
International Narrative Competition
• Open narrative films produced outside the US having at least a North American “Premiere” at the Festival (see eligibility requirements above).
• Eligible for: Best Narrative Feature, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Actor and Best Actress.
World Documentary Competition
• Open to works from all regions, but must be at least a North American “Premiere” (see eligibility requirements above).
• Eligible for: Best Documentary Feature, Best Editing in a Documentary, Best Cinematography in a Documentary
• In 2016, cash awards totaled $160,000, in addition to over $150,000 in artwork, products and in-kind services. Awards for the TFF17 may be modified.
• Unless otherwise agreed by the Festival in writing, awards will be given to the winning film director (as identified in the Film Information Form) on behalf of the film (except for Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Editing) and will be fulfilled approximately 12-16 weeks after the closing date of the TFF17.
• Award eligibility is subject to any restrictions or conditions imposed by applicable laws and regulations (international, federal, state or otherwise), and the award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes, customs, tariffs, insurance and similar charges or costs (if any).
• By invitation, Features by first time directors having their World Premieres at TFF17 (except those only shown in the “Gala” section or as a “Special Screening” or “Special Event”) are eligible for the Best New Documentary Award or Best New Narrative Award. TFF in its sole discretion may also consider North American or International Premieres for the Best New Narrative or Best New Documentary Awards.
• All new Features (except those only shown in the “Gala” or "Tribeca Talks" sections or as a “Special Screening” or “Special Event”) are eligible for the “Audience Award,” regardless of section.
• All new Features written and/or directed by women having at least their North American Premieres at TFF17 (except those only shown in the “Gala” or "Tribeca Talks" sections or as a “Special Screening” or “Special Event”) are eligible for the Nora Ephron Prize.
*The above listed awards are from the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival, and are subject to change for TFF17 by the Festival in its sole discretion.
Rules & Terms
Since submission of a film constitutes acceptance of these Entry Rules & Regulations (by you and your agents), please review this document carefully.
Please see our full Entry Rules & Regulations at http://bit.ly/2bDLXvO
The Festival requires that all films be submitted via a password-protected streaming URL link. Please prepare this link in advance of beginning your online film entry form. (If you are unable or unwilling to submit your film by URL link, follow the prompts in the online entry form to contact the Festival programming team to discuss an alternate method of entry).
Note: Submissions may be in work-in-progress form; however, films that are not final cuts must be clearly marked Work in Progress (“WIP”) or Rough Cut with an indication of what will change or what is missing (e.g., temp sound, Avid output, missing animation, etc.) either indicated in the film cut itself or within the copy display in the streaming link. As long as the streaming link remains the same and password does not change you may update the link with newer cuts as they are available up until the last applicable entry deadline noted above. In the unlikely event of a password change or link change you must email the Festival immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect the Festival will send an email to the submitter’s address on file to follow up. If a response with the correct information is not received within forty-eight (48) hours, the submission may be deemed ineligible. If you have submitted a WIP or rough cut of your film by DVD, the Festival will work with you to facilitate the submission of any updated version(s) up until the last applicable entry deadline noted above.
To be eligible for consideration:
(1) You must fully comply with these Entry Rules & Regulations, including all deadlines, film length, entry material and other requirements.
(2) Non-English language works must have English subtitles at the time submitted. Dialogue lists will not be accepted.
(3) The film MUST maintain at minimum a “New York Regional” premiere status prior to TFF17 (“Premiere”; see criteria in charts, below).
o “NY Regional” means the tri-state area including the five boroughs of New York City, the surrounding New York metropolitan area (e.g. Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, Orange, Ulster and Columbia counties), southwestern Connecticut (e.g. Fairfield, New Haven and Litchfield counties) and northern New Jersey (e.g. Bergen, Passaic, Middlesex, Monmouth and Hudson counties)
(4) Both prior to and throughout the TFF17 (except as otherwise expressly noted below), the film must meet the following criteria (see applicable chart):
- ANY public screening, broadcast, distribution or exhibition before January 1, 2016 (other than as described in *1* below)
- Theatrical - Any commercial exhibition in the US (other than as described in *2* below)
- DVD - Any commercial DVD distribution ANYWHERE
- TV - Any broadcast available to US audiences
- Digital - Any digital broadcast available to US audiences (including via a non-password
protected website, whether commercial or personal, e.g. Vimeo, YouTube, etc.), other
than as described in *3* below
- Festival - Any exhibition held IN the New York Region as part of a film festival (other than as described in *2* below and, for clarity, except for the TFF17
- Theatrical - Limited exhibition only outside of the US and on/after January 1, 2016
- TV - Limited broadcast available only outside the US and on/after January 1, 2016
- Festival - Exhibition as part of a film festival held outside the New York Region and on/after January 1, 2016
*1* Private, invite only screenings (i.e. screenings for family or cast or screenings for feedback)
*2* Academic screenings for students/faculty in a classroom or in-person, school-based film festival.
*3* For SELECTED films: theatrical, DVD, TV, digital and/or festival screenings scheduled to be held DURING the TFF17 but after the Feature’s Premiere, if approved in advance and in writing by the Festival
Note: If subsequent to its initial consideration, the Festival determines that a submission no longer meets all of the criteria listed in the applicable chart above, the submission will be designated ineligible.
HOW TO ENTER
Apply online at http://www.tribecafilm.com/festival/submissions or via FilmFreeway at https://filmfreeway.com/festival/TribecaFilmFestival and, after fully completing the online entry form, click “submit”. Please note the online entry form will require you to submit a password-protected URL that links to your film in order to be completed, so plan accordingly and be sure the film has been fully uploaded and the link and password work prior to filling out your online entry form.
All entries must include the following:
(1) An official TFF17 online entry form, properly completed.
(2) As applicable, a password protected streaming link of the film.
(3) As applicable, the entry fee(s) for the film submission (see the “Entry Fees” section above), which are payable ONLY by credit card (American Express, Visa, MasterCard, TCB, or Discover). If submitting a student short film, a scan of the student ID or enrollment verification may be provided in lieu of the entry fee on the entry form).
(4) If physically submitting your film, you must follow the prompts in the online entry form to contact the Festival programming team. You will then receive instructions for submitting physical copies of your film and completing your entry. Please note that only DVDs, formatted for multi-zone or for Zone 1 (North America), will be accepted for physical submission; Blu-ray and all other formats will NOT be accepted.
Note: It is your sole responsibility to ensure that your online entry form is properly submitted. Within 24 hours of completing and submitting your online entry form, you should receive an email confirmation. If more than 24 hours have passed and you have not received an email confirmation, you may email the Festival at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at (212) 941-2305 to follow up. It is also your responsibility to ensure the streaming link (or DVD, as applicable) is functional and the link and password submitted are accurate. The password protected link must be active at least through March 31, 2017. Regardless of your method of entry, all entry materials MUST be received by the Festival no later than the applicable deadlines referenced above. The Festival reserves the right to disqualify any submission, without refund of any kind, if it is not completed in accordance with these Entry Rules and Regulations.
All physical entry materials received by the Festival will not be returned and will be destroyed or discarded by the Festival.
Each film must be individually submitted and accompanied by its own completed online entry form; please do not send links to multiple film entries in your online entry form or compilation DVDs composed of works for separate entries, as any or all of them may be disqualified.
If your film was submitted and considered for previous editions of the Tribeca Film Festival, you may re-enter it if you have made significant changes and if all applicable eligibility requirements are met at the time of entry for TFF17 (see above).
Festival programmers select and invite all films to be presented at the TFF17, with Premiere status considered (see eligibility requirements above). Invited filmmakers will be notified by email or phone via the information provided on the submitted entry form. Make sure to update the Festival with new contact information or any other festival invitations prior to the TFF17 at email@example.com. If your film is invited, your Premiere status will be confirmed with you and locked. Should you accept any other festival invitation that breaches this Premiere status commitment, the Festival reserves the right to rescind the invitation.
IF YOUR FILM IS SELECTED
If your film is selected, you must fulfill the following requirements by the date(s) designated by the Festival:
(1) You must execute a release agreement wherein you (i) accept responsibility for obtaining any and all clearances necessary to exhibit your film at TFF17; (ii) warrant that you have the rights necessary to exhibit your film at TFF17; and (iii) indemnify and hold harmless Tribeca Film Festival NYC, LLC, its parent company, its affiliates, and subsidiaries and any of their respective directors, officers, employees, and representatives against any claim arising out of exhibition of your film at TFF17.
(2) You must deliver to the address(es) designated by the Festival (i) one (1) exhibition copy (technical specifications must be confirmed by the Festival in advance) of the invited work; (ii) a second exhibition copy, if your film is in competition (to accommodate juror screenings); and (iii) additional exhibition copies, if requested by the Festival (to allow for multiple screenings at more than one venue). We recommend you ship all exhibition copies via courier in order to permit the tracking of your film once it leaves your hands.
• The required exhibition formats and delivery date deadlines will be confirmed by the Festival after invitations have been extended and confirmed. Please check in with the Festival staff before creating your Festival exhibition copy or copies to ensure the format and technical specifications are correct.
• The Festival will arrange for (and cover the cost of) return shipping of your exhibition copy (copies) to one (1) location after the conclusion of TFF17.
(3) You must provide a properly completed and signed official TFF17 “Film Information Form” including all press and publication assets as specified in the “Materials Checklist” (the “Film Information Form” and “Materials Checklist” will be provided by the Festival).
(4) You must provide at least one (1) DVD copy or downloadable link of the final, completed film for Festival archives and internal purposes.
Films invited to participate in the TFF17 will be shown in the section determined most appropriate by Festival programmers, in their sole discretion. In 2016, Festival sections included the following:
OUT OF COMPETITION (all must be at least a NY Region “Premiere” unless otherwise noted):
Gala; Special Screenings
• Both screening programs are invitation-only and feature advanced screenings of anticipated films prior to their U.S. theatrical release.
• Documentary and narrative films- a mix of big names, bold talents, highly anticipated new releases and festival favorites.
• An assortment of documentary and narrative films offering distinctive visions from innovative voices.
• Spanning horror, sci-fi, action and more, these entertaining and memorable films celebrate the best in genre cinema.
*The above listings are from the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival. Sections, descriptions, and awards for the TFF17 may be modified by the Festival in its sole discretion.
FILM SERIES AND PROGRAMS
Films invited to participate in the TFF17 will be shown in the series/program determined to be most appropriate by Festival programmers in their sole discretion.