ONLY ACCEPTING FILMS BY FILMMAKERS LIVING OR WORKING IN THE UK. Non-eligible films will not be viewed.
Short Sighted Cinema CIC are now OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS for the THE SHORTEST NIGHTS 2017. An annual collection of cutting-edge programmes celebrating the best in British short filmmaking.
Inspired by the longest day of the year, THE SHORTEST NIGHTS takes place over an entire Sunday showcasing new programmes of short-form films alongside industry networking.
Short Sighted Cinema CIC is a short film initiative run by Kate Williamson and Gem Carmella. They programme unique events across London, working with with festivals, arts hubs, and community cinemas to bring new audiences to short film.
Films for this collection must have been created within the last 2 years by filmmakers living, working or studying in the UK, inclusive of British Filmmakers working overseas.
“If it’s film that floats your boat, take up Short Sighted Cinema’s invitation to watch all their short films in one go…. bliss.” – Time Out
“Short Sighted Cinema may sound like it’s for people with fuzzy vision sat in the front row, but the eagle-eyed curators who run things there are known for spotting the best new short films around. ” – Londonist
Awards & Prizes
ALL selected films will automatically become part of THE SHORTEST NIGHTS season tour, which will premiere at THE SHORTEST NIGHTS event in London in June. Screenings could then could go on to include local cinemas, community events, summer festivals and cross-arts collaborations. Films have previously screened at Wilderness, Shambala, In The Woods, Leeds Film City and more.
Selected films and those that are shortlisted will also be considered for future Short Sighted Cinema events in London and around the UK.
Rules & Terms
- Only films made within the last 2 years from filmmakers working, studying or living in the UK are eligible. If you are a British filmmaker working or studying abroad, please email us after submitting with a note about your submission as non-UK addresses will be disqualified.
- Filmmakers may submit ONE film FREE of charge.
- There is a small fee for additional films. This contributes directly to festival costs. Additional films submitted from the same filmmaker who have not selected this option will not be considered.
- There is a fee for submission feedback, which is an OPTIONAL service. This fee contributes directly to festival costs. You will receive feedback after the notification date, with a statement from the festival programmers about the selection decision regarding your film. We will give honest, direct feedback about the film's key areas of strengths & weaknesses. This may take some time to reach you depending on demand for this feature.
- Films should be under 25 minutes in length, but can be of any style, genre or theme. We’d also like to encourage family-friendly films.
- Should your film be selected, you give us permission to screen your film at The Shortest Nights and any subsequent tour screening over the next 12 month.
- Filmmakers must obtain necessary licenses & clearances for their films, Short Sighted Cinema WILL NOT hold responsibility for any copyright infringement.
- Submitting a film gives us permission to use publicity stills provided and up to 30 seconds of footage for use in The Shortest Nights' marketing and publicity.
- Films that do not fall within our criteria will NOT be watched. Please state clearly the UK connection if you are submitting from abroad (email to info[@]shortsightedcinema.com).