Reel Spirit, the Youth division of Kansas City FilmFest, engages, educates, and empowers young filmmakers in grades 2-12 through a youth film competition. Entries must be completely student created and are judged by industry professionals.
High School Categories include: Animation, Documentary and Narrative. Maximum run times range from 3-10 minutes.
Grades 2-8 Categories include: Animation, Commercial, Documentary, Narrative, Newscast, PSA (Public Service Announcement), and "Reel" Spirit of STEAM(Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math). Maximum run times range from 2-5 minutes.
Filmmakers of winning films and their families are invited to attend the Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers Showcase which is held at Cinemark Palace at the the Plaza in Kansas City, MO. Films are screened in front of live audiences followed with award presentations. Film-related workshops, led by industry professionals are available before and after screenings.
Special guests have included Bob Gale, writer and director of "Back To the Future" series and Bill Farmer, voice of Pluto and Goofy
Awards & Prizes
One trophy for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place is awarded to the winning film for grades 2-8. Additional trophies may be purchased. Medals are awarded to first place films in grades 9-12 . Filmmakers whose films place first, second, or third receive a certificate of excellence and a theater screening of his/her film in front of a live audience.
Drawings are held for donated items and film experiences. Donations vary from year to year. Filmmaker must be present to win. Some past gifts have included: film equipment, movie posters, and a KCPT studio tour.
Rules & Terms
Films must be completely student created and are judged on content, camera work, editing, audio/sound, talent/voice, and overall creative expression.
IMPORTANT: In addition to submitting a film through FilmFreeway, the Sponsor or Mentor for each film must complete a CONTACT and COPYRIGHT form found online:
The cost for each entry is $7.
Filmmakers compete within four divisions:
Division I (Grades 2 & 3)
Division II (Grades 4, 5 & 6)
Division III (Grades 7 & 8)
Division IV (Grades 9-12)
Submission implies acceptance of the Rules and Regulations by all producers, directors and/or actors.
• All work must be completed and submitted no later than the deadline date:
February 17, 2017 for all Divisions
• Winning films will be announced on March 1, 2017 for all Divisions
• All films must be in English or subtitled in English
• Original third party music, sound effects, pictures and reference footage may be used if permission by the owner/author is documented in writing and sent in with entry form
• Winning productions failing to comply with copyright requirements will result in the film not being shown at the Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers Showcase, website or other public screenings
• Credits should NOT include:
Actor's last name
Submitting school name
• Credits SHOULD include:
Sources for Music, sound effects, pictures, video clips
Maximum length of film
Actor's first name only - no last names
• Any copyright infringement will result in a three point penalty
• Subject matter must be appropriate - no violence or inappropriate language
• Entries with extraneous materials, such as “bloopers” will not be accepted
• The filmmaker(s) must secure all rights, licenses, clearances and releases necessary for exhibition as per copyright laws and list those in credits.
• All entry materials become the property of the Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers and will not be returned. No refunds.
• Entries are released to the organizers/sponsors of Reel Spirit for promotional materials, copies and right to show film in the Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers Showcase without compensation or payment.
• By submitting a film, you acknowledge the Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers right to copy any submitted material for non-commercial use only.
Agreements: If your film or video wins, you agree to and understand the following:
• FORMAT: You agree to provide Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers with a DVD or give permission to download the full version of the film via FilmFreeway. It must be received no later than , March 17, 2017 so we can build the program reels.
• SHIPPING: You are responsible for the arrangements and cost of shipping the DVD copy to Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers.
• LOSS & DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to safeguard films; however, if loss or damage occurs, Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers cannot accept or assume responsibility.
• SIGNED RELEASE FORM: Sponsor or Mentor is responsible for acquiring a signed Reel Spirit Parental Release form for all students age 18 and younger involved in the film.