Melbourne WebFest is Australia’s international web series festival. MWF was the fourth festival of its kind in the world, and remains the biggest celebration of web series in the Southern Hemisphere.
Melbourne WebFest is working to acknowledge digital screen producers and is creating a hub for networking and professional development in the heart of Melbourne. It is also an opportunity for the public to experience the best in digital series entertainment from around the globe. The festival includes screenings, keynotes, discussion panels, masterclasses, and, a live pitching competition.
In addition to the annual official selection, MWF also promotes Australian productions with its Spotlight program, which screens on the first day of the festival.
As a new addition in 2017 we are introducing an award for student series, and student productions can submit at a reduced fee. Submissions in the student category are only eligible for the student award, and will be screened alongside our Spotlight program.
Further updates on awards coming soon!
Awards & Prizes
In 2016, Melbourne WebFest acknowledged web series, creators and crews with a total of 23 awards:
Best Comedy (International and Australian)
Best Animation (International and Australian)
Best Drama (International and Australian)
Best Non-Fiction (International and Australian)
Talent and technical awards:
Best Leading Actor or Ensemble
Best Original Score
Best Sound Design
Best Supporting Actor or Ensemble
Best Visual/Special Effects
Best of Spotlight*
Peddle Thorp People’s Choice Award ($1,000 cash prize)
Crowd Favourite (decided by attendees at MWF)
Outstanding Diversity Award
Grand Jury Award***
*The Spotlight Award is for the Best Series in our “Spotlight on Melbourne” event at Loop on 30 June.
**Pitch Perfect @ MWF with ABC iview is a pitching competition held live at MWF. The winner received a $5,000 cash prize. The cash is intended to cover travel and accommodation to Marseille WebFest for one person to attend their screenwriting residency, which is sponsored by Fox Digital. The residency will take place from 17 – 22 October, in conjunction with the 6th annual Marseille WebFest. The Pitch Perfect winner will also receive a free pass to the festival.
***The winner of the Grand Jury Award receives all-expenses paid trips to LA WebFest and Marseille WebFest in 2017, with automatic entry in both festivals. Additionally, the Grand Jury Award winner receives automatic entry to Rome WebFest in September and Rio WebFest in December this year, as well as K WebFest (Seoul) and WebFest Montréal in 2017.
All award winners received an exclusively designed and handmade trophy for MWF 2016 and free access to Lynda.com.
Rules & Terms
1. Melbourne WebFest accepts web series from all across the globe.
2. Submitters must be 18 years of age or older.
3. Entries are only accepted via FilmFreeway.
4. Submissions MUST be the intellectual property of the submitter(s) and/or their team, or the submitter(s) must have obtained appropriate licensing rights to use any and all content featured in their series — including music. No proxy submissions are accepted.
5. The series must have a minimum of two (2) episodes available at the time of submission. The series does not have to be officially released or publicly available, but it must be available for our selection panel to view at the time of submission (password protected links and/or dropbox links are accepted).
6. Previous official selections must have produced a minimum of three (3) new episodes to be eligible for consideration.
7. Individual episodes must not exceed 20 minutes.
8. By submitting to Melbourne WebFest, submitters automatically grant MWF a non-exclusive license to use their material for PR and Marketing of the festival.
9. All non-English language works MUST be subtitled.
10. Entrants can submit an unlimited number of projects, but each series require individual submission form and payment.
11. Submitters will be asked to classify their series in one of the following genres: Animation; Comedy; Drama; and Non-Fiction.
12. Student productions have the option of submitting for a heavily reduced fee, noting that these submissions are only eligible for the student award if selected for the festival.
13. Official selections, Spotlight selections and student selections, will first be announced at the program launch in May 2017 (date TBA), and via the MWF e-newsletter, social media, and the MWF web site. Submitters will be notified of the outcome via FilmFreeway the day after the program launch.
14. Only selected series will be directly notified via email.
15. Decisions by Melbourne WebFest are final.
16. Melbourne WebFest reserves the right to amend the criteria.
Terms and conditions
1. By entering a web series into Melbourne WebFest, the submitter(s) automatically acknowledge that they understand and accept the festival’s guidelines and terms and conditions.
2. By entering a web series into Melbourne WebFest, the submitter(s) automatically grant the festival the rights to use the submitted works and any excerpt thereof for promotional purposes.
3. By entering Melbourne WebFest, submitter(s) confirm that they hold all appropriate rights to the actors, music, etc. By entering, they release the Melbourne WebFest from any claim and all responsibilities relating to or arising from its use of the series.
4. The submitter(s) and their agents agree to indemnify and hold harmless Melbourne WebFest, its board, judges, partners and sponsors from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening web series entered.
5. The submitter(s) acknowledge that entering their work and paying the submission fee does not guarantee selection of the work into the Festival. Submitter(s) agree that they are aware that all series received will be judged by a selection panel whose decision is final. They accept this risk; understand that the entry fee is non-refundable, and that withdrawing entries is not permitted.
6. Australian and Victorian laws apply.