STOP PRESS***Use this new code "NewAprilDiscount" to receive 35% off your entry (all categories) until the 30th April. Submit this month at a great discount.
Welcome to Kinofilm, the North West of England's longest running Short Film Festival. Our dates this year have been changed to 20-26th November. Established in 1995 the festival is now in it's 14th International Shorts edition. Kinofilm has a unique reputation for showcasing the best short films from around the world, whilst being renowned for seeking out diverse, challenging and groundbreaking new films. The festival maintains a high standard with many European & International award-winning shorts featured in the Festival. It includes special programmes in low/no budget shorts, North West Shorts (UK), British Shorts, European Shorts, International Panorama, Kino Exposed (student and youth shorts), Red Head Shorts, Horror, Fantasy & Sci-fi, Animation, Experimental and Underground cinema, giving new and emerging filmmakers the opportunity to have their work screened alongside that of critically acclaimed, established short filmmakers.
Please note for this year 2017 and due to public demand we will continue with a substantial section of animations and welcome entries of animation worldwide.
Films should have been completed since January 2015 to present and be no longer than 20 mins.
WE ARE OFFERING STUDENTS AND GREATER MANCHESTER FILMMAKERS A DISCOUNT UP TO 60% OF ALL SUBMISSION FEES. The discount is automatically applied when you submit your film to Student and Greater Manchester categories. Please note PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY MUST BE SHOWN if submitting through the student category.
Please note how this discount works: Students and Greater Manchester filmmakers can submit their work anytime whilst submissions are open and receive 50% of the current submission fee at the time of entry. The fee is already set at 16$ throughout the entry period except for the extended deadline when fee rises to $25
Aims of the Festival
1. To deliver a film festival of regional, national and international significance.
2. To nurture new talent and support the work of culturally diverse, emerging filmmakers.
3. To attract an industry base of filmmakers and media industry professionals, to encourage the exchange of ideas and development of partnerships.
4. To attract cinema goers and diverse audiences that would not normally experience the short film art form or film festivals.
5. To focus on the needs of the regions filmmakers, visiting filmmakers and the region’s audiences.
Awards & Prizes
The festival will be competitive but award prizes are only announced if and when we have secure prizes. In addition, certificates and/or trophies will be presented and off course you will honoured with the acknowledgement of being awarded one of the best films in the festival. The award categories will be:
Best International Short
Best European Short
Best UK Short
Best North West Short
Best New Director
Best Animated Short
Best Experimental Short
Best Three Minute Short
Best Red Head Short
Best Original Soundtrack
Best UK Student
Best International Student
After you submit your film, please remember to tell your friends and colleagues by Tweeting the news "I have submitted my film to @Kinofilm" . You can do this easily by using the Tweet facility on this site that shows directly after you have completed your entry. Please do it to help spread the news of our Open Call for Entries.
Rules & Terms
*** New Dates due to logistical reasons are 20th - 26th November 2017
Please note due to circumstances beyond our control we have changed the the dates of the festival from May/Jun to later this year in November.
Please see our website for full rules and regulations (download the rules and regulations document at the following link). TBC Summary below.
Please note we obviously welcome premiers at the festival, please state in your cover letter if your film is a premier and it's status (North West / UK / Europe / World). We are not a premiers only festival and we will consider any film regarding of its status. However, if your film has been shown previously in Manchester or you have any planned screening in our region (Greater Manchester) please tell us when, where and the event.
To claim the student and Greater Manchester discount you must submit through the Student or Greater Manchester categories for the reduction. Proof of student eligibility must be shown and student films must be made as part of an education or training establishment (full or part-time eligible).
To submit through the Greater Manchester category, the filmmaker must reside and work in Greater Manchester. Production must take place in the North West and the director/production company must me based within Greater Manchester (proof of address must me shown).
1. Please note the the three deadlines for which different fees apply. The final deadline is is now 1st July 2017
2. On receipt of your submission you will receive a confirmation email with a reference number that should be quoted on all future correspondence.
3. Successful applicants will be informed as early as possible but at the latest one month before the festival if not before. Once accepted you are not allowed to withdraw your film and you should not accept any other screenings within Greater Manchester prior to the festival.
4. Due to the large number of entries we cannot guarantee to inform all unsuccessful entrants, so unless informed otherwise, please assume your entry has been unsuccessful on this occasion. You may request confirmation or further info if required and we will do our upmost to respond - time permitting.
5. Applicants must confirm acceptance within 7 days of receiving the notification (quoting your film title and reference number), and at this stage please supply images of the film (no more than 4 images plus a digital poster), and confirm the credits for director, producer, writer and main cast. At this stage also provide via suitable file transfer service the digital file of your screening print (the file will be sent to a different email address to be informed).
6. Updated information on the festival and successful entries will be announced on the festival web site www.kinofilm.org.uk and on the Festival Facebook page www.facebook.com/kinofilmfest
7. Entrants should ensure that they read and agree to the Permissions of the festival which you agree to when submitting your entry. Please notify us of any specific requests.
8. Successful entrants will receive a complementary pass for the Festival screenings but due to the fact that Kino is unfunded we will not be able to cover any costs incurred of attending the festival though we will endeavour to get you the best deal or in guest accommodation when available.
Please note when you submit your film you consent to the following:
9. TV / Web broadcasts of your trailer for promotional purposes?
10. Your film/or an extract being shown in press screening?
11. A short clip of your film or trailer, still images or details of your work being used on the Kinofilm Website?
12. Your film may be shown in any future events post festival (festival touring programme).
NB: Please note, no film will be shown in its entirety on line. We may circulate on our site or on Facebook and twiiter trailers pre-festival and only a select number of films will be shown in a press screening to launch the festival campaign.
I agree to screening my film in the Kinofilm festival and in other future post Festival Kino events as and when required (including press and promotional events and post festival touring programmes if selected). I also agree that once accepted I will not accept any other screenings of the film in Manchester prior to the Kinofilm Festival.
I hereby give my permission for any number of screenings of the above film (as above) and confirm that I am duly authorised to submit this film. I also certify that all rights and clearances for use of any soundtrack, or other copyrighted materials / images have been obtained and I release Kinofilm Festival from any liability from either public screening or other such use in any and all media.
I understand that Kinofilm Festival is not responsible for any damage or faults that may result in the film being withdrawn from the Festival or Kino Shorts or any other co-promoted event Kino is involved in, in circumstances beyond their control.
I also confirm I will not withdraw my film once I have signed and returned this form to the festival.
I agree to all publicity about my film across web sites and social media, including posts on Facebook and Twitter. I understand that Kino will not show any clips / trailer of the film without my expressed permission.
Manchester International Film Festival® was established in 2006 to promote the work of independent filmmakers, to establish an International Film Festival in Manchester and currently deliver the Manchester International Short Film Festival.
Kinofilm™ is the brand trading name of our short film festival operated and produced by MANCHESTER INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL®, a not-for-profit company, limited by guarantee, registered in England & Wales. No. 06052838
The organising company is:
“MANCHESTER INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL”® is a registered trademark protected by UK Law.
Use of Kinofilm™ brand /logo and the logo/brand of the company logo or phrase ‘MANCHESTER INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL’® including for any similar uses in class 9,16, 41 (as defined by UK Gov Intellectual Property Office) is strictly protected under UK Law. Trade Mark UK00002428249