The Houston Latino Film Festival is an organization dedicated to developing, promoting and increasing awareness of Latino culture among Latinos and other communities by presenting a variety of art and films to the Houston area.
During the festival, films from all over Latin America, Spain, Portugal and the United States will screen. The programming represents the great diversity of themes and genres of the Latino and Hispanic filmmaking. The three-day Festival also features opportunities for the audiences to participate in discussions with the directors at the screenings as well as a series of special events highlighting the diversity of the Latino culture. 2017 will mark the second year of the Houston Latino Film Festival after a successful inaugural year.
Our Mission: The Houston Latino Film Festival is a non-profit organization dedicated to educating and enlightening the communities of the South Texas region about other cultures and issues through film and video while also recognizing the contributions of the artists who are dedicated to the craft of independent filmmaking.
Awards & Prizes
Awards and prizes will be announced shortly.
The Houston Latino Film Festival will recognize and honor cinematic achievements in filmmaking that brings together all of the elements that make for a great film, including direction, acting, cinematography, screenplay and great storytelling for the following categories:
• Best Feature Film
• Best Short Film
• Best Student Film
• Audience Award
One film will be chosen from the categories listed above for a cash prize of $1000. Winners will be announced on closing night, Sunday, March 26th, 2017.
Rules & Terms
The Houston Latino Film Festival is open to professional and non-professional filmmakers working in the United States or abroad. Eligible entries must have been produced between 2015 to the present, have a Latino(a) in an "above the line" position (Producer, Director or Writer) and/or subject matter must have a relevant theme to the Latino/Hispanic community. All film genres are eligible: documentary, narrative, animation and experimental.
Submission requirements. Please read carefully:
• All films submitted must be in final cut form.
• All films must have English subtitles for all non-English language entries.
• All submission requirements must be received by the deadline, Wednesday, February 1st, 2017 . No late submissions past the Late Deadline will be accepted. All submissions must be submitted online at: https://filmfreeway.com/festival/HoustonLatinoFilmFestival.
• Payment MUST be in ($) US dollars. International entrants who do not pay by credit card must use an international money order paid in ($) US dollars through a US bank. Payments must be made to the HOUSTON LATINO FILM FESTIVAL.
• Format: Refer to filmfreeway.com/help for video format options. DVDs will not be accepted through FilmFreeway. If you wish to submit via regular mail, please visit us at: www.houstonlatinofilm.com/submit
• Fee Waivers and Discounts for residents from Houston, TX. Request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Entrants are responsible for obtaining any necessary licenses, royalties, release forms, clearances, and permits necessary to present their work. The Houston Latino Film Festival is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement related to the work.
• WE WILL NOTIFY YOU VIA EMAIL WHEN WE RECEIVE YOUR SUBMISSION. If you do not receive an email from us we did not receive your submission. If your film is accepted to the festival, we will notify you via email with instructions for press materials.
Entry fees are per each film and are non-refundable. The Houston Latino Film Festival reserves the right to disqualify a submission, without refund of any kind, if eligibility requirements are not met including if eligibility status changes post-submission. Short Films are films 30 minutes or less.