The Gold Coast International Film Festival launched in 2011 and became an immediate success here on the north shore of Long Island, where F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote The Great Gatsby and the stars of stage and screen lived and worked before Hollywood was Hollywood. Since our first year, we have hosted numerous stars including Hugh Grant, Ed Burns, Baz Luhrmann, Isabella Rossellini, Bruce Dern, Lou Diamond Phillips, Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, Phylicia Rashad, Paul Sorvino, Homeland's Navid Negahban, Jason Ritter, Melanie Lynskey, members of the band Twisted Sister, WNBA star Chamique Holdsclaw, animator Bill Plympton, comedienne Susie Essman, Oscar-winning production and costume designer Catherine Martin, writer/director Marc Lawrence, and more. In 2016, we screened over 80 films from 14 countries; hosted 34 events in 11 venues over 7 days; and presented films starring James Franco, Vera Farmiga, Geoffrey Rush, David Cross, Gabriel Byrne, Nathan Lane, Isabelle Huppert, Frank Langella, Billy Crudup, Christina Applegate, and many others.
We present feature and short films from dozens of countries and cast a great spotlight on the artists whose work we present, gathering enthusiastic audiences to our screenings. During the festival, area residents, visitors, members of the business and film communities, public officials, students and academics come together to celebrate the art and influence of cinema in the charming and historic towns and villages of Long Island’s Gold Coast. Festival events, many of them free, include screenings, workshops, conversations with prominent members of the film community, parties, and a gala.
For details on our Young Filmmakers Program, please visit our website: http://goldcoastfilmfestival.org/festival/young-filmmakers/.
Awards & Prizes
Short film awards include both a jury award and an audience award; feature films are eligible for an audience award in one of two categories. All awards are accompanied by prizes, which may include rental equipment, post-production services, studio time, etc.
Previous short film winners include:
The Gunfighter (2016 Jury Award)
Above All Else (2016 Jury Runner Up)
We Live This (2016 Jury Runner Up)
Taking Flight (2016 Jury Honorable Mention)
The Bench (2016 Audience Award)
Jewish Blind Date (2016 Audience Award)
Joe's Violin (2016 Directors' Choice Award)
Subway Love (2015 Jury Award)
Tender Stories No. 1 (2015 Jury Award)
The Present (2015 Jury Award - Best Student Film)
Grounded (2015 Audience Award)
Why Do I Study Physics? (2014 Jury Award)
A Silent Waltz (2014 Jury Runner Up)
Welcome to China (2014 Audience Award)
How I Didn't Become a Piano Player (2014 Audience Runner Up)
Noah (2013 Jury Award)
Plurality (2013 Audience Award)
Luminaris (2012 Jury Award)
Sight (2012 Jury Award - Best Student Film)
Pigeon Impossible (2012 Audience Award)
Noreen (2011 Jury Award)
In the Spirit of Laxmi (2011 Jury Award - Best Documentary)
Previous feature film winners include:
Burn Your Maps (2016 Best Narrative)
Sidemen: A Long Road to Glory (2016 Best Documentary)
Mustang (2015 Best Narrative)
Mind/Game: The Unquiet Journey of Chamique Holdsclaw (2015 Best Documentary)
We Are Twisted F***ing Sister (2015 Best Documentary)
Paulette (2014 Best Narrative)
August Wilson: The Ground on Which I Stand (2014 Best Documentary)
Nebraska (2013 Best Narrative)
Foreign Letters (2013 Best Narrative)
Comedy Warriors (2013 Best Documentary)
The Prime Ministers: The Pioneers (2013 Best Documentary)
Silver Linings Playbook (2012 Best Narrative)
One Track Heart: The Story of Krishna Das (2012 Best Documentary)
My Afternoons with Marguerite (2011 Best Narrative)
Bob and the Monster (2011 Best Documentary)
Rules & Terms
• In order to be eligible to screen at the 2017 Gold Coast International Film Festival, a film must be submitted by the Final Deadline (September 1, 2017). Exhibition copies of accepted films must be received no later than October 15, 2017.
• Accepted filmmakers will be notified on a rolling basis. All filmmakers will be notified no later than the Notification Date (October 15, 2017).
• GCIFF also hosts year round film screenings. All films will be considered for both the Festival and the year round series. Films are selected for this series on a rolling basis.
• For further information, please contact GCIFFshorts@gmail.com.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
By submitting a film to the Gold Coast International Film Festival, you understand and agree to the following:
• I have the legal right to represent and to submit this film for screening to Gold Coast International Film Festival ("GCIFF") and to the best of my knowledge, all statements on this document are true;
• There is no action, suit, claim or proceeding pending, affecting or, to the best of my knowledge, threatened against this film or its producers in connection with this film;
• Music and any other third party material clearances and all copyright clearances are my sole responsibility. GCIFF will not be held responsible for any legal disputes regarding the exhibition of this film. Noncompliance may affect, delay, and/or disqualify my entry;
• I hereby grant GCIFF the right to screen this film at the Festival;
• I understand and agree that my film entry may be used for promotional purposes for GCIFF and/or its partners; and I grant GCIFF and its partners the rights to use footage (not to exceed 5 minutes), stills and/or titles and information from the film for such promotional purposes;
• Should this film win any award, I am authorized and/or empowered by all parties legally representing this film entry to receive all cash prizes and awards and to distribute them appropriately;
• I fully indemnify and hold GCIFF and each of its respective officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, contractors, sponsors, licensees and assigns harmless from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses in connection with my film, including:
• Reasonable attorneys’ fees and other expenses of defense arising from or in connection with any breach of any of the foregoing agreements, representations or warranties or from or in connection with any litigation or any claim or proceeding commenced by a third party alleging or arising from libel, slander, defamation, invasion of privacy, infringement, unauthorized use or any other right of such third party or wrongful conduct;
• Damage to or loss of the film print or blu-ray discs en route to or from GCIFF or during the course of GCIFF's possession of the entry;
• And any claims which may arise in connection with my film.
Note: GCIFF has the right to change any information contained in this document (including Festival dates, venues, events, awards and eligibility requirements) without further notice.