The Footcandle Film Festival is designed to bring unique, interesting, challenging and entertaining films to Western North Carolina. The festival is held by the founders and members of the Footcandle Film Society, a 600 member group dedicated to screening and discussing films on a monthly basis. The festival will be held at the Drendel Auditorium on the SALT Block in Hickory, North Carolina between September 22nd and 24th, 2017. The festival will include an opening reception, filmmaker Q&A sessions, and a closing reception with awards.
Awards & Prizes
Feature-length (running time greater than 40 minutes) and short films (running time less than 40 minutes) will be screened at the festival covering a variety of subjects.
Submissions will be categorized in one of three categories: Short Film, Narrative Feature or Documentary Feature. At the festival closing ceremonies awards will be given for "Best Narrative Feature", "Best Documentary Feature", and "Best Short Film" as selected by a jury, and one (1) "Overall Audience Favorite" selected by festival attendees.
Rules & Terms
A screening committee will evaluate and select films to be presented at the Footcandle Film Festival with entrants being notified of their status during the month of July 2017. Between 16 and 24 films (combination of feature-length and short films) will be selected for invitation to screen during the festival weekend.
In the weeks leading up to the festival weekend, a jury will view and select the Festival winners (in the categories of Best Narrative Feature, Best Documentary Feature & Best Short Film). The awards will be announced at the end of the festival on Sunday night. The Audience Favorite award will be decided by audience voting throughout the festival weekend and also announced at the closing reception.
Criteria for Submission:
• All entries must be postmarked no later than June 13th, 2017 for submission.
• All submissions must have been completed after January 1, 2015.
• All films must be in English or have English subtitles. Non-subtitled or dubbed foreign language films will not be considered.
• All clearances must be obtained for exhibition.
• Entries should be submitted through FilmFreeway (online submission). If any reason prohibits a filmmaker from using the online service, a DVD can be mailed to the Film Society with a label indicating the title and running time.
• Only the Producer, Director, Screenwriter or someone closely connected to the film may complete the application. Schools may submit films on behalf of student filmmakers.
Filmmakers whose films are accepted for competition will be notified by email by approximately July 14th, 2017.