Working to Bring Community Awareness to All Films & forms of Art while Spotlighting Kansas Films & Filmmakers.
Awards & Prizes
Best Overall Film from a Kansas Filmmaker $500 cash prize & award
Best Overall Film from any non-Kansas Filmmaker $100 cash prize & award
Best Documentary Filmmaker $100 cash prize & award
Best Animated Filmmaker $100 cash prize & award
Best Kansas Full Feature Film (over 25 minutes) $100 cash prize & award
Best Kansas Short Film (under 25 minutes) $100 cash prize & award
Audience Appreciation Award: (Festival Audience Vote for any film) $100 cash prize & award
Judge's Kansas Choice Awards: $50 cash prize, award, & free entry to next year's festival (at least 3 available)
Rules & Terms
Thank you for your interest in the Doc Sunback Film Festival in Mulvane, Kansas on June 22nd, 23rd, 24th, & 25th in 2017. The following is a list of rules for those who would like to enter:
All films from anywhere in the world will be considered for entry & all films will be screened by at least 3 screeners.
• Best Kansas Films or Kansas prize winning films must be directed by residents of the State of Kansas & proof of residency must be provided, i.e. Kansas I.D., Kansas Driver’s License, etc.
• All filmmakers who had films selected for entry in last year’s film festival will receive a free entry for 1 film that must be submitted before March 31, 2017.
• Early submission will be from October 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016. Non-student films must be submitted with a $15 submission fee or receive a fee waiver. Student films will be submitted free of charge during this time period.
• Regular submission will be from January 1, 2017 to March 31, 2017. Unless a waiver is authorized non-student films must be submitted with a $20 submission fee. Student films must be submitted with a $5 submission fee or receive a fee waiver.
• Late submission will be from April 1, 2017 to April 15, 2017. Non-student films must be submitted with a $50 submission fee or receive a fee waiver. Student films must be submitted with a $20 fee or receive a fee waiver.
• Student Films must be submitted with a copy of a current valid Student Identification Card. This image can be transmitted via e-mail.
• Films that contain nudity, visual violence, content of a highly sexual nature, or extensive use of profanity might be labeled inappropriate for small children in our program listings.
• Films must be submitted on DVD NTSC, vimeo, YouTube or through filmfreeway.com. Please test before sending. All films with non-English dialogue or script must contain English subtitles in the film. (Film credits are not required to be listed in English.)
• Films must have been completed after January 1, 2013. Films must be available for screening during the Doc Sunback Film Festival, June 22nd, 23rd, 24th, & 25th, 2017.
• Narrative and Documentary films with U.S. distribution (obtained prior to being selected for Doc Sunback Film Festival screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening. Selection for screening will be determined no later than one month prior to the festival. Films that have screened on US network or cable television or distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are also ineligible for competition.
• We strongly prefer films be at least Kansas premieres. While we will accept features that have played at other Kansas festivals or screened publicly in a theater in Kansas, the film’s premiere status will be taken into account when making final selections.
• Please do not submit your film until it is complete.
• Please include in your cover letter or an e-mail if your film was SHOT IN KANSAS (include locations).
• Once an entry payment has been processed we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed, the account holder may be subject to any fees.
• In order to receive cash prizes filmmakers must be able to accept American checks from American banks. The Doc Sunback Film Festival does not guarantee delivery of prizes and awards to foreign addresses. Unfortunately, we will not be able to send any prizes (other than laurels) to anyone living in countries where trade has been restricted by law. We will send laurels & certificates via e-mail to the address provided. Prize winners must make contact within 30 days of the end of the festival or risk forfeiting all prizes. All prizes will be distributed as quickly as possible.
• Film submission does NOT guarantee entry.
• We reserve the right to change these rules at any time & at our discretion.
Send your synopsis and, if desired, a cover letter introducing you/your film. DVDs will not be returned under any circumstances. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for each submission if you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your entry in regular mail.