Presented by the California Film Institute, DOCLANDS Documentary Film Festival brings compelling stories and the provocative insight behind them to Marin County, CA, May 10 - 13, 2018. Expanding upon the exchange of ideas and inspiration through public screenings, engaged conversations, and grassroots networking events, DocLands aims to build an active, involved, fully supportive community around documentary film dedicated to initiating connections and partnerships that will illuminate and invigorate the business and art of non-fiction filmmaking.
Awards & Prizes
DocLands is a non-competitive festival.
Rules & Terms
DocLands entries will only be accepted via upload through the FilmFreeway submission platform. No DVDs or external links will be considered.
Programming emphasizes new works in both documentary features and shorts.
• Feature-length entries (40 minutes and over) receiving theatrical release, TV broadcast, or are available for purchase on DVD or online (e.g. iTunes, video on-demand, etc.) prior to DocLands's dates may NOT be considered.
• Feature-length entries receiving a theatrical or festival screening in the San Francisco Bay Area prior to or within one month following DocLands’s dates may not be considered for the Festival. Exceptions may be made under special circumstances. Entries accepted for DocLands will not be eligible for inclusion in the Mill Valley Film Festival.
• DocLands does not pay rental fees. Instead, our resources are invested in the production and promotion of the best possible showcase for your work. For theatrical runs, films may subsequently be considered for our year-round venue, the Christopher B. Smith Rafael Film Center.
• Films may be screened more than once during the festival
• Industrial, promotional or instructional films are NOT eligible.
• Films must have been completed within 20 months of festival dates (after October 1, 2016).
• Filmmakers are responsible for providing a good quality DCP or 35mm print for their screening. See EXHIBITION FORMATS for requirements -- DCP or 35mm ONLY.
• Filmmakers will be notified via email of entry status by approximately April 10, 2018.
• Once a film is submitted it may not be withdrawn.
• If selected to screen in the festival, you may be asked to provide an electronic press kit.