The Deep in the Heart Film Festival is back! We’re looking for films that make us laugh, cry, or even scream. If you have a great story, we want it at our festival.
We seek to showcase the best in independent film from Texas, the US and the world. We want to share great films, inspire filmmakers, create networking opportunities and show our guests some genuine Texas hospitality.
We proudly screen at the Waco Hippodrome, a former vaudeville theater that’s over a century old. The Hippodrome is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and has seen Elvis Presley and John Wayne enter it’s doors. Always a Waco tradition, the Hippodrome has been reborn as a central Texas destination - now with recent renovations in seating, projection, and the addition of full kitchen and bar.
BONUS! If you’re a fan of the HGTV show Fixer Upper, Chip and Joanna Gaines’ Magnolia Market is located just steps away from the Hippodrome. Plus, Waco is the home of the Dr Pepper Museum and Balcones Distilling.
We are easily within driving distance of Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and Houston. It’s easy to see why this area is called the Heart of Texas.
Come on down, y’all. The stars at night are big and bright, Deep in the Heart of Texas!
Awards & Prizes
As the modern philosopher, DJ Khaled says,
“All I do is win win win no matter what.”
Awards for our festival include:
Best Comedy Short
Best Documentary Short
Best Drama Short
Best Family Short
Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Short
Best Horror/Thriller Short
Best Texas Short
Best US Short
Best Foreign Short
Best Screenplay - Short
Best Actor- Short
Best Actress - Short
Best Director - Short
Audience Award - Short
Best Short Film
Best Screenplay - Feature
Best Actor - Feature
Best Actress- Feature
Best Director - Feature
Audience Award - Feature
Rules & Terms
Do yourself a favor and read all the rules.
You agree to the following terms and conditions of the Deep in the Heart Film Festival.
• All films must be the original work of the filmmakers and all filmmakers must have the necessary rights. The festival is not liable for any rights issues.
• You do not talk about Fight Club.
• By submitting a film to DitHFF, you grant the Deep in the Heart Film Festival permission to screen your film, if said film is officially accepted into this year's lineup.
• If your film has been selected, you will have 14 DAYS TO ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR ACCEPTANCE. If we do not hear from you within 14 days of notification, your selection may be revoked.
• All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English. Foreign language films without English subtitles will not be screened.
• Only completed entries (including entry form, payment, and final film) will be considered. The Deep in the Heart Film Festival does not consider works in progress.
• We are an environmentally friendly festival. We accept digital entries ONLY. Do not send DVD’s, Blu-rays, press kits, dirty laundry or unruly children.
• Films which have screened on television or are available on the internet are not eligible. (Password protected and private links are acceptable).
• Films must have been produced no earlier than 2013.
• We have no premiere status requirements.
• If accepted, the filmmaker is required to provide the festival a digital file (.mov, .mp4), for exhibition.
• As filmmakers ourselves we have never received a rejection letter that made us feel better, so we won't stick the knife in any deeper by sending one.
• In accordance with the Deep in the Heart Film Festival policy, the entry fee is non-refundable.
• You will not be allowed to enter your work unless you agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the Deep in the Heart Film Festival.
You grant the Deep in the Heart Film Festival the following:
• Permission to exhibit your film. Films must be available for screening during the festival, March 22-25, 2018.
• Allow photos, posters, highlights or excerpts of your film (e.g. a trailer) to be placed on the Deep in the Heart Film Festival website and used for other marketing and promotional purposes. You also agree to allow DitHFF to promote the following year's festival with the material listed above. DitHFF will never solicit or screen your film outside the promotion of the DitHFF.
• We are accepting short film (under 50 minutes) submissions only. Feature films will be curated by the programmers. We will not accept submissions.
• Notification of selections will be made by February 22, 2018.
• The Deep in the Heart Film Festival reserves the right to change our programming without notice. The official selections and screening schedule is at the sole discretion of the festival.
• Sorry, we cannot provide paid transportation or lodging for the event. Discounts may become available as the festival approaches.
• You may submit as many entries as you like. Each entry requires its own entry fee. Entry fees will not be refunded.
• Our success depends on the quality so we cannot offer full waivers. But since you were smart enough to read these rules, use the promo code IAMAREADER and you'll get a discount.
• Entrants are encouraged, but not required, to attend the festival. Entrants are responsible for all costs incurred to attend this festival. Entrants receive one free pass to the film festival for the duration of the film festival.
• Exceptions to these rules will not be made unless we make an exception.
• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
For questions and inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org