Docs In Progress is a nonprofit organization focused on building community through documentary film. We are proud to be based in a vibrant, diverse , and historic community. Since 2010, we have showcased short documentaries about people and places in our local community.
In 2015, we expanded our Community Stories Festival to include more documentaries about local topics beyond those produced by our students. In 2016, we are taking this a step further to include both films about local topics, and films which deal with broader issues of communities in transition.
We welcome submissions of short and feature-length documentaries from experienced and emerging filmmakers of all ages, as long as the documentaries are about either
(1) People, places, history, or current goings-ons in our community (which we define as being within 25 miles of our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland - this would include films about anywhere in the Washington DC Metro area) (see fee-waiver info in Rules & Terms)
(2) Deal with issues of communities in transition
Rules & Terms
* We are only accepting documentaries.
* Films must have been produced within the last five years.
* Entries may also be submitted on DVD. If you submit on DVD, make sure the DVD is clearly marked with the film's title and the film can be easily identified on the DVD menu. Also note that the deadlines are for RECEIPT of the film, not postmark dates.
* Filmmakers must have rights to use all music and images presented in the films or be using under fair use (see http://www.cmsimpact.org/fair-use/best-practices/documentary-filmmakers-statement-best-practices-fair-use#statement).
* Films with non-English dialogue must be submitted with English subtitles.
* All films about topics in or within 25 miles of Montgomery County, Maryland will receive a fee waiver if you use Waiver Code CSMOCO2016. We will NOT be granting fee waivers to any other film submissions. If you submit a film about something other than this very specific geographic requirement using the fee waiver, your film will automatically be disqualified.
* While we would prefer that films be submitted via a FilmFreeway online link, you may also send a DVD to:
Docs In Progress
8700 1st Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910
If submitting via DVD, film must be in DVD format with Region 0 or Region 1 only.
* Films which do not meet criteria of the festival will be automatically disqualified.
* While we accept submissions from filmmakers outside of our region, this is a community festival with a limited budget, so we cannot cover travel by filmmakers to attend the festival.