The Cinematografo x TFCU Short Film Contest is,organized by ABS-CBN International and aims to provide a platform for Filipino-Americans to showcase their original short films, either documentary or narrative. Open to students of Filipino descent, the Contest is on the lookout for the new breed of filmmakers from universities and academic institutions throughout the country.
Awards & Prizes
The Cinematografo Student Short Competition awards $1,000 each to all winning short films.
Rules & Terms
CINEMATOGRAFO x TFCU SHORT FILM CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
About the Contest
The Cinematografo x TFCU Short Film Contest (“Contest”), organized by ABS-CBN International (“Sponsor”), aims to foster and nurture new filmmaking talent from the Filipino diaspora by providing a platform for Filipinos and Filipino-Americans to showcase their original short films, either documentary or narrative. This is a platform to tell new stories and hear new voices of this generation. Open to students of Filipino descent, the Contest is on the lookout for the new breed of filmmakers from universities and academic institutions throughout the country.
Maximum of 10 winners (each, a “Winner”) will receive a $1,000 cash prize and his/her winning entry will be exhibited during the Cinematografo International Film Festival scheduled on November 2017 (collectively, the “Prize”). As a condition of each Winner’s receipt of the Prize, each Winner may be required, at Sponsor’s option, to formally enter into an Agreement with Sponsor governing Sponsor’s rights to the Movie in relation to its screening during the Cinematografo International Film Festival (hereinafter, “Agreement”).
The Contest is open to anyone who, as of September 15, 2017 (“Opening Date”), meets all of the following eligibility requirements (collectively, “Eligibility Requirements”):
• Must be either: (a) 18-30 years of age; or (b) 15-17 years of age and have the permission of a parent or guardian to enter;
• Must be actively enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited university, college, or art school of higher education in the United States; and,
• Must be a US legal resident or US citizen of Filipino descent, or a Filipino citizen currently in the US under a valid F-1 Student Visa.
For group submissions, if multiple persons are involved in one submitted entry (e.g. three filmmakers are to be credited in one entry; or, the writer is not the same person as the director), all such entrants must be listed on the entry form and meet the Eligibility Requirements; provided, only one of such entrants must comply with the requirement to be of Filipino descent, as long as the remaining entrants comply with all other Eligibility Requirements.
Regular employees and the immediate family of ABS-CBN International and its affiliates are disqualified from joining the Contest. Independent contractors must have had no involvement with ABS-CBN International and its affiliates for a period of 2 years. Relatives of employees with 4th degree consanguinity are allowed to join.
How to Enter
Groups or individuals who meet the Eligibility Requirements (each, an “Entrant”) must complete the following steps on or before the Entry Deadline, i.e. October 13, 2017 (“Early Deadline”) or October 20, 2017 (“Regular Deadline”), to enter the Contest:
Submit your full Entry of a completed Movie (subject to the Entry Requirements below) and fee payment online via FilmFreeway at https://filmfreeway.com/festival/CinematografoOriginals.
• Early Deadline: October 13, 2017 (Entry Fee: US$10)
• Regular Deadline: October 20, 2017 (Entry Fee: US$15)
Submissions by post will not be accepted. We accept entries only via FilmFreeway.
Entry fees are non-refundable, and for operational costs.
Once an Entry has been submitted to the Contest, Sponsor will not accept substitutions or revised Entries. If you wish to submit a revised Entry, you must enter it as a new submission.
Entries created/produced by multiple persons may be entered in the Contest. All writers' names, directors’ names, and producers’ names should be listed on the online Entry. All Entrants and anyone else involved in creating the Entry must authorize submission of the Entry, through their representative, who is solely responsible for coordinating with Sponsor. By submitting an Entry online to the Contest, the Entrants represent that all Entrants and any other individuals involved in creating the Entry authorize the submission.
Entrants are responsible for all costs associated with creation of an Entry and participating in the Contest.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest.
In order to be eligible, Entries must meet the following requirements (“Entry Requirements”):
• The completed Movie must have a total running time of at least 5 minutes but less than 30 minutes, including credits
• All categories and genres are welcome (Animation, Fiction, Nonfiction/Documentary, Experimental, etc.)
• Entries must be formatted in English (dialogue can vary, providing translation and subtitled captions are included).
• Movie must have been completed by September 14, 2017. If the Movie was completed prior to December 31, 2015, it is no longer eligible for submission.
The Entry must be the original, newly created work of the Entrant(s), and all rights to display, exploit and distribute the Entry must be held by the Entrant (i.e., no other person or entity can have rights of any kind in connection with the Entry).
If the Entry is based on true events, it is the entrant’s responsibility to get consent from all parties involved.
The Entry does not need to retain any sort of premiere status, and the Entry will not forfeit its eligibility for submission to the Contest if it has been previously released publicly.
By submitting an Entry in the Contest, each Entrant represents and warrants that: (i) the Entry is original to the Entrant, and all right, title and interest (including but not limited to copyright) therein and thereto is exclusively owned and/or controlled by the Entrant; (ii) the Entry does not contain any material that is libelous, defamatory, profane or obscene, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion; (iii) the Entry does not contain any material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in the United States or in any jurisdiction where the Entry was created; (iv) the Entry does not infringe on the intellectual property or other statutory or common law rights of any third party (including but not limited to copyright, trademark, personality or privacy rights, or any other rights of any other person or entity); (v) the Sponsor’s use and re-use of the Entry (if the Entry is selected as a winning Entry, as described below) in accordance with the terms set out herein will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party (including copyright), or require any payment to or consent/permission from any third party; (vi) the Entry will not during any phase of the Contest be, exploited or published in any form; and (vii) and no rights in or to the Entry have been, or will during any phase of the Contest be, granted, pledged, or assigned, in whole or in part, to any other party. No Entrant will be eligible to receive a prize unless Sponsor determines in its sole and absolute discretion that such Entrant’s Entry has been or can be sufficiently cleared for legal purposes.
Criteria / Selection Process
• Entries will be reviewed, deliberated upon and scored by a selection committee consisting of qualified judges selected by Sponsor, in its sole discretion (the “Selection Committee”), using the following evaluation criteria (the “Criteria”):
30% PRODUCTION QUALITY
• Potential finalists will be notified of their selection via e-mail on or about October 22, 2017 and may be required to sign and return additional documentation as may be required by Sponsor, including but not limited to any documentation as may be required to confirm clearance of any third party elements as may be contained in the Entry (“Releases”). If a potential finalist cannot be reached or fails to properly execute and return any necessary Releases within the time period noted, or if a potential finalist is found not to be eligible or not in compliance with these Official Rules, the potential finalist will be disqualified. In addition, each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any potential finalist at any time, in its sole discretion, on the basis of anything contained in or learned or obtained as a result of any submitted Release or any other documentation requested by Sponsor, that, in their sole opinion, would constitute a breach of these Official Rules.
• Decisions of the Selection Committee are final.
• Notification of winners will be sent by email and posted on our website no later than October 25, 2017 (“Notification Date”). As may be necessary, Winner agrees to deliver the Movie in a high-resolution format and submit to ABS-CBN any Movie-related materials for purposes of the festival screening, as agreed upon by the parties, prior to the festival date.
• Entrants will be responsible for providing current contact information and mailing addresses for prize redemption purposes.
Ownership of Entry
• Entrants to the CINEMATOGRAFO x TFCU Short Film Contest retain all rights to their Entry, subject to Sponsor’s rights to the Winner’s Project, as set forth below and in the Agreement.
• Entries will not be returned. Be sure to retain a copy of all material submitted.
• Unless and until Sponsor obtains rights in the Winner’s Project, as set forth below, Sponsor will not share your short film with anyone except the Selection Committee. Sponsor will take all reasonable steps necessary to protect the copyright in the Entries against piracy.
• Notwithstanding the foregoing, each Entrant hereby acknowledges and agrees that: (a) many ideas or stories may be competitive with or similar or identical to the Entries, and Entries may be similar to each other, in theme, idea, format or other respects; and (b) Entrant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of Sponsor’s use of any such similar or identical material.
Publicity Rights: By entering the Contest, each Entrant grants Sponsor permission to use and announce the Entrant’s name and likeness for publicity purposes without further compensation (except where prohibited by law).
Rights to Winner’s Project: Each Winner will retain ownership of their Project/Movie. Sponsor will be granted complete and exclusive right to screen the Movie during the Cinematografo International Film Festival, and will retain one hundred percent (100%) of any and all revenues in connection thereto, and as further detailed in the Agreement. In relation to this, Sponsor shall have the right to advertise, publicize and promote the Movie using materials pre-approved or provided by Winner; include in such advertising, publicity or promotion the name, voice or likeness of any person who has rendered services on the Movie using materials pre-approved or provided by Winner; and include in any portion of the Movie the credit or logo of Sponsor. Further, Sponsor will be granted right to use excerpts from the Movie in any media for the purpose of promoting the Movie and for other non-commercial purposes provided that such use shall not exceed two (2) minutes for each use and provided further that such excerpts must be pre-approved by Winner. Winner agrees that Sponsor shall not be obligated to use, display or exploit the Project in any manner except at the Cinematografo International Film Festival, subject to the terms of the Agreement.
Termination of Contest / Amendments to Official Rules: Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or suspend the Contest, in whole or in part, and/or to amend these Official Rules in any way, at any time, for any reason. Any amendments to these Official Rules will become binding upon all Entrants at the time they are posted. Entrants are advised to regularly check FilmFreeway for updates, notices and revisions to these Official Rules. In the event the Contest is terminated or suspended, Sponsor will select one or more potential winners from all eligible, non-suspect Entries received prior to such action.
Release of Liability. ABS-CBN SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY AND SHALL BE RELEASED AND HELD HARMLESS BY ENTRANTS FOR ANY DAMAGE, LOSS OR LIABILITY TO PERSON OR PROPERTY, DUE IN WHOLE OR PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, BY REASON OF THE ACCEPTANCE OF A PRIZE OR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST.
Disputes / Governing Law. IN THE EVENT OF A DISPUTE REGARDING ANY ASPECT OF THE CONTEST, ABS-CBN WILL MAKE THE FINAL RULING IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrant or Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the United States and the State of California.
SPONSOR: ABS-CBN International 2001 Junipero Serra Blvd. Suite 200 Daly City California 94014