The Big Apple Film Festival takes place annually in the heart of the greatest city in the world. The BAFF, named one of MovieMaker Magazine's top "25 Film Festivals Worth The Entry Fee" and top "25 Coolest Film Festivals", is dedicated to showcasing and promoting the highest quality films from the New York City independent film community, as well as additional specially selected films from across the country and around the world. Our goal is to celebrate the great city of New York through the exhibition of innovative filmmaking, which reflects the unique qualities of the city and its people. In addition, our mission is to bridge the gap between dedicated independent film audiences and filmmakers, as well as to connect emerging filmmakers with established industry professionals. The festival offers a variety of film screenings and special New York City premieres. Additionally, the festival is proud to honor a variety of New York City based filmmakers, writers, actors and artists who have played an influential role in the growth of independent filmmaking in the Big Apple.
PREVIOUS HONORARY GUESTS AND AWARD RECIPIENTS
-Cuba Gooding Jr.
-Zoe Lister Jones
ALUMNI FILMS INCLUDE:
-"Money" starring Jesse Williams, Kellan Lutz, Jess Weixler
-"6 Love Stories" starring Matthew Lillard, Carrie Preston, Stephen Tobolowsky, Ashley Williams, Peter Bogdanovich, Alicia Witt
-"The Living Wake" starring Jesse Eisenberg, Mike O' Connell and Jim Gaffigan
-"Mother's Day" starring Melissa Leo
-"Waiting" narrated by John Turturro
-"Beneath the Olive Tree" narrated by and executive produced by Olympia Dukakis
-"Manhattan Romance" starring Tom O'Brien (Fairhaven), Gaby Hoffmann (Transparent, Wild, Obvious Child, HBO's Girls, Veronica Mars), Katherine Waterston (Inherent Vice), Caitlin Fitzgerald (Masters of Sex)
-"Bread and Butter" starring Lauren Lapkus (Jurassic World, Blended, Key and Peele) and Bobby Moynihan (Saturday Night Live)
-"In the Eye of the Spiral" narrated by Grammy winner Annie Lennox
_"Life of a King" starring Cuba Gooding Jr. (theatrical release 2014)
-"Reporting on the Times" - (Student Academy Award nominee)
-"Ex-Girlfriends" starring Jennifer Carpenter(Dexter) and Jennifer Connolly(Cabin in the Woods)
"Love, Ludlow"(Sundance Film Festival official selection, released by Warner Home Video)
"Harvest" starring Robert Loggia(Showtime Network)
-"The Pill" Rachel Boston, Noah Bean, Anna Chlumsky(released by Filmbuff, available on Netflix and iTunes)
-"Montana Amazon" starring Academy Award nominee Haley Joel Osment and Academy Award winner Olympia Dukakis
"Breaking Upwards" Starring Zoe Lister Jones and Daryl Wein (IFC Films)
-"Circus Maximus" (starring Boby Canavalle, Kevin Corrigan, Mario Cabntone(available on Netflix)
-"Against the Current" starring Joseph Fiennes, Elizabeth Reaser, Mary Tyler Moore(IFC Films)
-"Time Freak" Short Film Academy Award nominee
-"Love Hurts", starring Richard E. Grant, Carrie Ann Moss, Janeane Garofalo, Jenna Elfman(Lantern Lane Entertainment)
-"Schmatta: Rags To Riches To Rags"(HBO Documentary FIlms)
-"Suffering Man's Charity" directed by Alan Cumming, starring Alan Cumming, Anne Heche, Carrie Fisher
- "Picture Day" (Student Academy Award nominee)
- "Megatron" (winner Palm D'or, Short Film Category, Cannes Film Festival)
- "Beyond Wiseguys: Italian Americans and the Movies" (featuring Chazz Palminteri, Stanley Tucci, Susan Sarandon, Jack Valenti, David Chase, Ben Gazzara, Isabella Rossellini)
Previous panelists, guests and keynote speakers include representatives from:
- Samuel Goldwyn Films,
-First Run Features
Awards & Prizes
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
NYC Cityscape Award
Best Feature Documentary
Best Short Documentary
Best Web Series
Best Student Film
Golden Apple Award
Emerging Talent Award
Spirit of New York Award
Rules & Terms
BIG APPLE FILM FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
This years festival will accept submissions until September 1, 2017.
1. Big Apple Film Festival accepts submissions for features, shorts, documentaries, short documentaries, animation, web series and student films.
2. All films submitted must have been completed on or after September 1, 2016.
3. All films must be submitted with an online screener or DVD in NTSC format
4. All feature narrative and feature documentary submissions must be over 70 minutes in length.
5. All short film narrative and short documentary submissions must be under 70 minutes in length.
6. Animated, web series and student film submissions of all lengths will be considered.
7. All submissions must include an online screener or DVD in NTSC format. All DVD's must include your tracking number. If payment is not made by credit card , the submission must also include a check or money order of the appropriate funds made out to: Big Apple Film Festival.
Send all materials to: Big Apple Film Festival, 1662 Old Country Road #1034, Plainview, NY 11803.
All submission fees must be paid by either credit card, check or money order.
10. ALL SUBMISSION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.