International Young Audience Film Festival Ale Kino!
APPLAUDED every year by several thousand spectators - amused, moved and engaged in discussion - those already literate with the art of cinema and those about to begin their film adventure.
EXPERIENCED, as befits a fifty-year-older, but still curious about the world.
COLLECTIVE, as a film crew, where all act jointly, but where there is also enough room for eccentric individualities.
LOCAL AND GLOBAL, owing to films from all over the world, to remind us that every place on earth can be its centre and the periphery forgotten.
OPEN to artistic transformation and technological revolutions that change the world, but mindful of what is passing.
FAMILY-LIKE, because we all desire a sense of security, closeness, belonging and acceptance, even though not all of us find them at home.
GIVING VOICE to children, parents, teachers, directors, actors, producers and critics, since the dialogue is based on listening.
CREATED OUT OF LOVE FOR THE CINEMA, with the feeling that love is a passion that also requires responsibility, fairness and respect.
EDUCATING young generations and eager to learn from them.
RICH with the number of screenings and the power of message of that one film we will remember for a lifetime.
We are fascinated by the cinema addressed to children and youth. Good cinema. Open to various ways of perceiving the world and fluent with many languages of the film. Happy to present premieres, at the same time we nostalgically recall classic and forgotten images. We award both renowned productions and films just entering the screens. We invite the doyens of the cinema and debutants alike, but most of all – we invite viewers.
We are happy about the prizes awarded by:
Polish Film Institute – category: Young Audience Educational Project (2008)
Polish Film Institute – category: International Film Event of the Year (2012)
The European Citizen's Prize awarded by the European Parliament (2012)
Awards & Prizes
The professional international jury shall award:
- Golden Goats to the best full-length film for children and a cash prize of EUR 4,000 (before tax)* paid to the film director (as a natural person);
- Golden Goats to the best short film for children and a cash prize of EUR 1,500 (before tax)* paid to the film director (as a natural person);
- Golden Goats to best full-length film for young people and a cash prize of EUR 4,000 (before tax)* paid to the film director (as a natural person);
- Golden Goats to best short film for young people and a cash prize of EUR 1,500 (before tax)* paid to the film director (as a natural person);
The young people’s jury awards:
- the Marcin prize to the best full-length film for young people
- the Marcin prize to the best short film for young people.
The children’s jury awards:
- the Marcinek prize to the best full-length film for children
- the Marcinek prize to the short film for children.
The teacher’s jury award:
- the Teacher’s Prize to the best full-length film for children.
Festival audience award:
- the Audience Prize to the best full-length film for young people.
The Festival Organisers annually award the special prize of Platinum Goats for the excellent film or audiovisual media output aimed at young audiences.
Rules & Terms
1. The 35. International Young Audience Film Festival Ale Kino! (hereinafter referred to as the Festival) will be held in Poznań from 3 December to 10 December 2017.
2. The aim of the Festival is to present and promote valuable films for children and young people.
3. The Festival Organiser is Centrum Sztuki Dziecka w Poznaniu (Children’s Art Centre in Poznań).
4. The Festival Director is the director of the Children’s Art Centre in Poznań.
5. The Festival programme comprises the following sections:
a) The International Competition of full-length and short films for children and young people, which presents films made in the years 2015–2017. Both full-length and short films (live-action as well as animated ones) are eligible for the competition. Competition films will be categorised either as children’s films or as films for young people. Films will be categorised by the Organiser;
b) fringe sections and special screenings, where out-of-competition films for children, young people and adults are presented.
SELECTION OF FILMS
6. Films may be entered by their authors, producers or other authorized persons.
7. The Organiser of the Festival shall select films for the Festival.
8. Only the films which have been entered on time and in compliance with these Regulations are subject to selection for all Festival screenings. Each film which has been entered must be accompanied by:
a) the entry form filled in online (available at www.alekino.com);
b) a screener with the film in English language version or with English subtitles.
9. The competition is open to a film which meets the following criteria:
a) it is a full-length or short live-action or animated film (where ‘full-length’ means longer than 60 minutes and ‘short’ means shorter than 30 minutes) made after 1 January 2015;
b) if it is a full-length film, it is available as a DCP, Blu-ray, digital file or a 35 mm print with optical sound recording. Screening from other sources is acceptable provided it is agreed with the Organiser in advance;
c) it represents a separate artistic whole.
10. Entry forms and other materials for the competition section must be submitted by 31 July 2017.
11. It is the Entrant’s responsibility to obtain authorisation to use and enter the film in the Festival.
12. All Entrants will be notified of the selection results as soon as the selection process is complete.
13. In the event of selecting a film for the competition, the Entrant shall provide the following immediately:
a) a printed entry form with handwriting signature;
b) information for the Festival catalogue (the details as to what information is necessary, shall be made specific by the Organiser);
c) subtitles in a language agreed upon with the Organiser;
d) other promotional materials.
14. Entry forms and other materials must be sent to the following address:
Centrum Sztuki Dziecka w Poznaniu
Św. Marcin 80/82
Fax +48 61 64 64 472
Full-length films: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short films: email@example.com.
15. The submitted materials and entry form shall be returned only if the entry is accompanied by a written request to do so.
OTHER RIGHTS OF THE FESTIVAL
16. By submitting a film for screenings, the Entrant grants the Festival unlimited rights to use the following materials:
a) a film print for the main Festival screening and one additional screenings during the Festival;
b) promotional materials submitted for Festival publications (printed materials, Festival website, catalogues, Festival programme) and for the purposes of promoting the Festival in the media. The Entrant hereby agrees that the submitted materials may be edited by the Organiser;
c) parts of the film shown in television reports connected with the Festival and for the purposes of promoting the film and the Festival (a trailer or a fragment up to 2 minutes for a full-length film and up to 1 minute for a short film).
17. The Organiser reserves the right to use parts of the film and promotional materials to promote subsequent Festival editions in accordance with article 16. Subject to the provisions of articles 16 and 17, the Entrant grants the Organiser a license or authorises the Organiser to exercise the rights in the Work, as applicable, free of charge.
18. The Entrant shall submit a print of the film which has been selected for the Festival by 20 November 2017 to the address of the Festival Organiser:
Centrum Sztuki Dziecka w Poznaniu
Św. Marcin 80/82, room 345
19. The print shall be on the carrier indicated in the entry form, in the original language version, with English subtitles (if English is not the original language of the film), in good technical condition.
20. The print must be properly labelled.
21. The Entrant shall cover the cost of shipping the print to the Festival address unless it is agreed otherwise with the Organiser. The sender shall follow shipment instructions, which will be provided by the Festival Organiser. The instructions shall be provided together with the notification of selection results.
22. The cost of returning the print shall be covered by the Festival unless it is agreed otherwise with the Entrant. The Festival is responsible for returning the print in condition not worse than resulting from its proper usage.
23. The cost of print insurance up to the amount indicated in the entry form shall be covered by the Festival. The insurance shall cover the period from the delivery of the print to the Organiser’s address by the delivering carrier, to the collection of the print from the Organiser by the returning carrier.
24. The print shall be returned to the indicated address after the Festival. The Organiser is not liable for any loss or damage that may result from indicating the wrong address.
JURIES AND PRIZES
25. The professional international jury shall award:
a) Golden Goats to the best full-length film for children and a cash prize of EUR 4,000* to the film director;
b) Golden Goats to the best short film for children and a cash prize of EUR 1,500* to the film director;
c) Golden Goats to best full-length film for young people and a cash prize of EUR 4,000* to the film director;
d) Golden Goats to best short film for young people and a cash prize of EUR 1,500* to the film director.
26. The young people’s jury shall award the Marcin prizes to the best full-length and short films for young people.
27. The children’s jury shall award the Marcinek prize to the best full-length and short films for children.
28. The teachers’ jury shall award the Teachers’ Prize to the best full-length film for children.
29. Festival audience shall award its prize to the best full-length film for young people.
30. The Festival Organiser shall award the special prize of Platinum Goats for the excellent film or audiovisual media output aimed at young audiences.
31. Other special prizes funded by private individuals, institutions and organisations may also be awarded in agreement with the Organiser.
32. The Organiser will invite selected authors of the films presented at the Festival as well as eminent filmmakers, members of the press, distributors, producers and other persons involved in the audiovisual culture for children and young people.
33. By entering a film in the Festival and participating in the Festival the Entrant agrees to comply with these Regulations.
34. The Festival Organiser is not liable for any damage or loss resulting from the infringement of the rights of third parties that may be caused in connection with the use of the submitted Works, unless the infringement has been caused by the Organiser. The Entrant hereby releases the Organiser from any liability in that respect.
35. In the event of doubt as to the interpretation of these provisions, the Polish language version shall prevail.
36. Issues not covered by these Regulations are subject to decisions made by the Festival Director.
* Competition prizes will be paid in Polish zlotys (PLN). Competition prizes won by non-residents are subject to taxation pursuant to Article 29, Section 1 Subsection 1 of the Polish Personal Income Tax Act. The income tax rate for the prize is 20% on the amount won. The tax will be deducted from the prize before payment. However, for the avoidance of double taxation, the prizewinner may be able to claim a tax relief or tax exemption in Poland if he/she delivers a valid certificate of residence from the tax authority in the country in which he/she is resident, and if there is a double taxation agreement between Poland and this country. The original (not digital) certificate must be delivered to the Festival Organiser before the prize money is paid. Competition prizes won by Polish residents are subject to taxation pursuant to Article 13, Section 2 of the Polish Personal Income Tax Act concerning participation in competitions in the fields of science, culture, art and journalism. The income tax rate for the prize is 18% on the amount won after deducting 20% of tax-deductible costs. The tax will be deducted from the prize before payment.