Open to College Age Serious Filmmakers (18+). This is a team challenge where teams will consist of four (4) members. Four teams from the USA will be selected for the challenge, and will have until January 15th, 2017, to submit their completed short film of any genre (10 minute maximum run-time including credits) and other required challenge elements. The selected film will be screened during the 2017 Festival de Cannes, at the independent Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase. The film will also be submitted to the Festival de Cannes - Cannes Court Métrage, which includes the Short Film Competition (and its Palme d’Or) and the Short Film Corner (where everything that matters can be found), and may lead to the possibility of additional screenings. The selected team will attend the 70th Festival de Cannes May 17th to May 28th, 2017. Airfare and lodging will be paid for, and the participants will have full festival accreditation, and the most incredible international film networking opportunity imaginable. (http://cinemaducannesproject.org/Challenge.htm)
FILM CHALLENGE WINNERS: The selected team will attend the 70th Festival de Cannes May 17th to May 28th 2017, where they will continue to promote their Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase screening and other screenings that may be granted.
• Team will be awarded internships with Midian Films, Parent Company of CDCP.
• Airfare and Lodging
• Accreditation for Festival de Cannes / Marche du Film through internship.
• Film Screening at the independent Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase
• Opportunity to sell your film.
• Possible additional screenings.
• Network with thousands of film professionals from around the world
• Unexpected opportunities for growth and employment
FILM CHALLENGE RUNNER UPS: All team films will be submitted to the Festival de Cannes -Cannes Court Métrage, which includes the Short Film Competition (and its Palme d’Or) and the Short Film Corner, and may lead to other unexpected screenings. Each film accepted will receive two Festival de Cannes -Cannes Court Métrage accreditation's. Teams can select two members to represent their film at the festival. Teams can request travel expenses from their sponsors.
FILM CHALLENGE SELECTION PROCESS: Teams will submit a 90 second video pitch and written synopsis of their story. Submissions will be uploaded via FilmFreeway and there is a $45.00 submission fee. These submissions will be reviewed by the selection committee and the top four teams will then enter the challenge. Upon selection, teams must submit names and bios of team members. Submission deadline September 30th 2016.
FILM CHALLENGE: The challenge will consist of three (3) components: Film-making, Sponsorship and a Marketing Campaign. So here’s the challenge…the selected teams will have until January 15th, 2017, to submit a completed film, acquire sponsorship and submit a marketing plan to selection committee for review.
1. Films – Film Challenge is exclusively open to short films: Produced after June 1st, 2016, not exceeding 10 minutes, and not having been broadcasted on any Internet platform. The film will be judged based on the cinema characteristics of a short film, i.e.; in terms of narration, photography, soundtrack, editing, etc. Teams will have until January 15th, 2017, to submit their completed film to the selection committee for review. We are seeking films of any genre with a strong story-line and high quality production value.
2. Sponsorship – The sooner you start learning how to ask for and raise money, the better. Participants will be able to make better films, if they aren't worried about capital for production. Sponsorship helps cover travel expenses to the Cannes Film Festival, and supports a marketing campaign. The development of fund raising is a skill necessary for a successful future in filmmaking. Each team will need to acquire a commitment from a sponsor or multiple sponsors to reach a goal of $10,000.
3. Marketing Campaign – Each team will need to develop a solid marketing campaign to build their audience for Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase Screening. Timing is incredibly important – you must build up as much hype in the short space of time leading up to and around your screening as possible. Another unique factor is that films, by their very nature, are content gold mines – a huge privilege when it comes to crafting a powerful content marketing strategy for your upcoming screening. The winning team will have three (3) months to implement their plan prior to attending the festival.