MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The principal objective of the Canadian International Faith & Family Film Festival (CIFF) is to promote and encourage awareness, appreciation and understanding of faith and family films. Our mandate is to exhibit the most outstanding faith and family content produced in every part of the world. Films are selected on the basis of quality and originality. Preference is not given in any way. The Festival also promotes contacts between industry professionals to assist in the development of the Canadian motion picture & music industry. A strong emphasis is placed on nouturing the next generation of film makers.
The Canadian International Faith & Family Film Festival (CIFF) is a charitable not-for profit organization and is a division of A.C.T. Canada (Artists in Christian Testimony). Our mission is to showcase faith & family films.
We are well on our way to be an international leader in the faith-based film & music culture.
The festival runs in September; CIFF takes place at Toronto Hotel X, which features two state of the art cinemas. The festival is taking place at a time of year where many events are taking place in the peek of summer. The Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) runs at the same time, a great time to network! Toronto, Canada in one of the most economically prosperous metropolitan cities in the world, with a low Canadian dollar, tax intensives, and a diverse cultural population. A major urban city backdrop and world class studio facilities makes Toronto a premiere destination for any film maker, producer or film enthusiast. CIFF has launched an international mentoring distribution program for nominated films. The organization anticipates to generate an annual economic impact of one million dollars in it's fourth year. CIFF is generously supported by contributors including founding partners A.C.T. Canada and International, CBS, AFBS and it's founding members Rafael Kalamat & Jason Barbeck.
ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Canadian International Faith & Family Film Festival is strategically placing itself among the most growing segments of the international film festival markets and being the first of its kind in Canada. Film lovers, industry professionals and media outlets will watch the best in new faith & family cinema from established and emerging film makers and talent.
The level of engagement our festival promotes is unique in the fact that it allows opportunity to cross promote and network. This is why audiences and filmmakers are privy to unprecedented levels of access to one another as they exchange ideas about the art and business of film making.
Canadian and International filmmakers gain unforgettable insight into the workings of the family film marketplace. The Festival also provides excellent resources and networking opportunities for film‐industry professionals and like minded artists.
The staff and volunteers encourage you to join us as we grow to be a beacon of light for our film industry. We look forward to viewing your films by our dedicated panel of professional programmers. See you at CIFF 2020!
CIFF has launched an international mentoring distribution program for nominated films valued at $50,000.00.
CIFF will be giving awards in the following categories:
Best Short Film
Best Lead Actor
Best Lead Actress
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Music Video
Best Web/New Media
Best PSA Youth Initiative Project
TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR SUBMISSION
I. APPLICATION OF THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS
(1) The following terms and conditions (the “Terms”) govern the submission of film (the “Film”) to Canadian International Faith & Family Film Festival (“CIFF”) and A.C.T. Canada through FilmFreeway for consideration for the 2020 Canadian International Faith & Family Film Festival. To the extent that this document is inconsistent with any other document prepared by CIFF or anyone else, this document will take precedence. Any questions about these Terms should be directed to email@example.com
II. SUBMISSION AGREEMENT
(1) By submitting a Film to CIFF for Festival consideration, the submitter (the “Applicant”) represents that he or she has obtained consent from any and all owners, creators, writers, producers and/or other authorized representatives of the Film whose consent is required to submit the Film to CIFF (the “Film Owners”) and screen the Film at the Festival, and has read, understood and agreed to the Terms.
(2) CIFF may disqualify or reject, but is not required to do so, any submission that it determines in its sole and absolute discretion, is not in compliance, in whole or in part, with these Terms, and may do so without refunding any or all submission fees paid by the Applicant or returning the Applicant’s submission.
III. SUBMISSION CATEGORIES AND ELIGIBILITY
(1) Films submitted to CIFF for Festival consideration under these Terms must be submitted in one of the categories set out below.
(2) Films that do not meet the eligibility requirements for any of the below categories should not be submitted and will not be considered by CIFF.
(3) For the purpose of the below categories, “Canadian” films are Films that were directed by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and list Canada as one of the countries of production. All other Films are considered “International” films.
(4) Submission categories: Category Eligibility requirements
- Feature films with runtimes of 50 minutes or longer.
- Documentary films with runtimes of 49 minutes or less.
- Documentary films with runtimes of 50 minutes or longer.
- Films with runtimes of 49 minutes or less.
- Screenplays of any length.
Music Video |
- Music Videos with runtimes of 10 minutes or less.
New Media | Web, Television
- Concepts with run times of 30 minutes or less.
PSA | Public Service Announcement
-Our Youth Initiative Project welcomes young adults up to the age 25
to participate in producing a PSA under 60 seconds for the Canadian Bible Society. There is no fee for this category. Enter promo code CIFFPSA to enter.
Animation | (Submit in appropriate category listed)
(5) The Festival will grow into a series of programs, which are subject to change from year to year but might include, for example: Children's Choice, Red Carpet Closing Film, Midnight Revelation Screening, etc. CIFF may slot selected films into programs at its sole and absolute discretion.
(6) CIFF prefers that all Short and Feature Films presented are premieres, *however not mandatory.
(7) A Film will not be eligible for consideration and should not be submitted if:
a. the Film was completed prior to 2015. (unless submitted to the Revival category)
(8) All Feature Films must be submitted online via FilmFreeway (as described below). All Short Films must be submitted online via FilmFreeway as described below. All selected Films must be available to screen in DCP (Digital Cinema Package) by August 15th, 2020. *If the film maker or production does not have a DCP, our post traffic partner 'Lightvault' will make one at no charge and you will have an option to buy it at a discounted industry rate. CIFF will not permit films with alternative formats: (i) 35 mm or (ii) 16mm (iii) DVD/BluRay. No format exceptions will be made.
IV. PROCESS FOR SUBMISSION
(1) All Films submitted under these Terms must be submitted in accordance with the procedure outlined herein. CIFF may, but is not required to, disqualify or reject any Film that is not submitted in this way.
(2) To submit a Film for Festival consideration, an Applicant must: (a) complete the registration process at FilmFreeway and pay the required fee as outlined (2) below, and (b) provide to CIFF a online screener (for Feature Films) and online screener via FilmFreeway (for Short Films) for review by CIFF programming staff. CIFF does not accept submissions in any other manner or format, including: DVDs, content burned to Read/Write (RW) discs, Blu‐ray discs, external online links, downloadable files or trailers.
(3) All other formats must be submitted online through FilmFreeway. *All content must:
contain one version only of the Film, in the original language of production, be with English subtitles if the original language is not English;
(4) Applicants should test their online screeners thoroughly before submitting them. The Applicant has sole responsibility for ensuring that the submitted online screener plays in its entirety. If CIFF is unable to view the online screener, CIFF may attempt, but is under no obligation, to contact the Applicant in order to obtain another download.
(5) CIFF will not review multiple versions of a submitted Film. Only one version of the Film may be submitted. If multiple versions are submitted, CIFF will view only the version that was received first.
(6) Online Screeners will not be returned.
(7) CIFF is under no obligation to contact the submitting party and/or refund the submission fee should the applicant not have adhered to rules, set out in the Articles herein.
V. SUBMISSION DEADLINES AND FEES
(1) In order to be eligible for consideration, online submissions must be postmarked or submitted online via FilmFreeway, FilmFreeway registration completed, and all fees paid, by the deadlines outlined below.
NOTE: all fees are denoted in US dollars.
(3) CIFF may accept late submissions in its sole and absolute discretion, but an additional submission fee may apply (see V.2).
(1) CIFF will consider for inclusion in the Festival all eligible films that have been submitted by the above deadline and in accordance with these Terms. CIFF reserves the right to consider for inclusion in the Festival, and include in the Festival, films received at any time and through any means, channel or process, including means, channels or processes other than those outlined in these Terms. Nothing in these Terms or otherwise requires CIFF to select for Festival inclusion any of the Films submitted through the process outlined in these Terms.
(2) All selection decisions are at the sole and absolute discretion of CIFF, and are final and unreviewable. CIFF is not required to provide any feedback, comments or reasons, or any other information, regarding the selection or non‐selection of any submitted Film or the process by which Films are or have been selected. CIFF is not responsible or liable for its selection decisions; for the contents of any internal comments or feedback regarding the Film that are or may be obtained from the Applicant or anyone else; for any communications by any representative of CIFF relating to the Film or the Festival selection process; for the manner in which the Film shall be, is or was considered and reviewed; or for any failure on the part of the Festival to provide the Applicant or anyone else with information concerning CIFF’s consideration and/or review of the Film.
(3) CIFF will notify by August 15, 2020 all Applicants who have been selected to participate in the Festival. All Applicants who are not selected to participate in the Festival will be contacted by email on or around August 1, 2020. CIFF will contact Applicants using the contact information provided in the FilmFreeway registration form. Applicants are responsible for providing correct and functional contact information. CIFF is not responsible for any failed attempts to contact Applicants using the contact information provided.
VII. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, LEGAL CLAIMS AND INDEMNITIES
(1) By submitting the film to CIFF, the Applicant and Film Owners (the “Submitting Parties”) hereby warrant and represent that: (i) the Film is wholly original and is not copied from and does not include any other work that is the subject of copyright or other protection, unless such work is in the public domain or the Submitting Parties have obtained any and all consents, releases, licenses, and other authorizations or waivers of any kind necessary for the inclusion or reproduction of any person, character, location, thing, trade‐mark, sound recording, musical composition or other work in the Film; (ii) the Film does not defame any person or violate the common law or statutory rights, including, without limitation, the rights of privacy and publicity or any other right of any person; (iii) the Film is not the subject of litigation; nor any dispute which would give rise to litigation (iv) there are no agreements, nor will there be any agreements made subsequent to the date of this Film submission that would or could have the effect of impairing the Submitting Parties’ ability to provide the Film as contemplated herein, or otherwise conflict with any provision of these Terms; and (v) the Submitting Parties have the full right, power and authority to submit the Film to CIFF for Festival consideration, and to grant all of the rights granted hereunder and in the FilmFreeway registration form, and there is no obligation or disability which would in any way impair, restrict or impede the Submitting Parties from fully performing all obligations pursuant to the submission and these Terms.
(2) The Submitting Parties agree to indemnify and hold harmless CIFF, its licensees, successors and assigns, and its and their members, officers, directors, employees, volunteers, agents, representatives, associates and affiliates (each, a “Releasee”), from any claim, suit, action or other proceeding brought against a Releasee and from any losses, costs, or damages, including the Releasee’s full legal fees and costs, which it may have suffered or incurred or may suffer or incur, directly or indirectly based on, in connection with, or arising from the use and exhibition of the Film submitted by the Applicant or the breach or alleged breach of any representation, warranty or other agreement made by the Applicant in these Terms, or in the Applicant’s FilmFreeway registration form.
(3) CIFF takes reasonable anti‐piracy precautions. While in CIFF’s possession, all Films are securely stored and regularly inventoried. Access to Films is limited to CIFF staff who require access in order to screen and consider submissions. No duplication and loaning of Films is permitted. By submitting a Film to CIFF, the Submitting Parties hereby release the Releasees from any and all liability in the event of theft, unauthorized access or copying, or any breach of copyright of the submitted Film while it is in CIFF’s possession.
(1) CIFF reserves the right to rule, in its sole discretion, on cases and situations not foreseen by these Terms.