Big Teeth Small Shorts Film Fest (BTSSFF) focuses exclusively on Micro Shorts (60-sec or less) and Small Shorts (1-5 min). We believe that there are tons of talented filmmakers out there who either can't afford to make longer films or believe in very short form storytelling and we want to help them showcase their work.
Since so many great festivals consider short films to be anywhere from 40 minutes or less, it can be hard to submit a much shorter piece in that category. That's why we hope to give talented filmmakers a chance to show who they are in just a few seconds or minutes.
The BTSSFF is a quarterly film festival with screenings in Chicago. The films will be judged by a jury of industry professionals, that will look for powerful and innovative ideas, creativity and quality. Official selections are screened in person at the festival, and every quarter the winning films in each category will be showcased online.
To find out more about who we are and our mission and history visit https://www.bigteethsmallshorts.com
Best Film - Small Short
Best Film - Micro Short
People's Choice Award - Small Short
People's Choice Award - Micro Short
- Length requirements:
- Small Short: 61 seconds minimum - 300 seconds (5 minutes) maximum
- Micro Short: 1 second minimum - 60 seconds maximum
- For each individual film you submit, we recommend entering in only one genre category (comedy. documentary, etc.) and tagging additional genres within your project on FilmFreeway, rather than entering the same film into multiple genre categories.
- If your credits add up to 10% or more of the length of your total film duration, we may reserve the right to edit them for time if selected to be screened.
-Recommended sizes: 1080p
- There is no limit on number of submissions or production date.
- If your film is selected for the Big Teeth Small Shorts Film Festival (“BTSSFF”), you will receive free entry to our local screening in Chicago, IL. No travel expenses are included.
- Filmmakers hold sole responsibility for acquiring copyrights, licenses and releases for media used in their films and will indemnify and hold harmless BTSSFF and its owners, producers, sponsors, and employees against any claims brought against the foregoing as a result of Filmmakers’ failure to obtain the same.
- All films submissions must be submitted via FilmFreeway. NO DVDs or other media that need to be physically mailed will be accepted. All of the fields during the registration process on FilmFreeway.com must be completed or your submission will not be accepted.
- All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English unless dialogue is minimal and not necessary for the comprehension of the film.
- Filmmakers retain the rights to their films.
- Filmmakers agree that, upon official selection, their film can be played at any of BTSSFF's live screenings. The number of screenings the film appears in is at the sole discretion of BTSSFF.
- Filmmakers agree that, upon official selection, their film can be shown on any BTSSFF digital channels with written (email) consent from the filmmaker.
- BTSSFF does not pay screening fees. Further, Filmmakers acknowledge that they are not entitled to any portion of the admission fees or other receipts received by BTSSFF in connection with any screening.
- BTSSFF reserves the right to disqualify any submission if it does not meet the requirements outlined.
Response from festival:
Thanks so much Claire. As we keep refining what our festival is and why it should exist, a big part of that is to find a place to mix in more experimental work along with more traditional filmmaking. We're glad to give your film a platform and hope to see more of your work in the future.