Big Teeth Small Shorts Film Fest (BTSSFF) focuses exclusively on Small Shorts (91-sec - 5 min) and Micro Shorts (90-sec or less). We believe that there are tons of talented filmmakers out there who either can't afford to make longer films or believe in very short form storytelling, and we want to help them showcase their work.
Since so many great festivals consider short films to be anywhere from 40 minutes or less, it can be hard to submit a much shorter piece in that category. That's why we hope to give talented filmmakers a chance to show who they are in just a few seconds or minutes.
The BTSSFF is a quarterly film festival with screenings in Chicago that began as a 60-second film fest in 2015 and spread its wings to longer (but still short) films in 2019. Every single film submitted to our festival will be viewed by a dedicated screening team. The films chosen as Official Selections will then be screened at a live, in-person festival and judged by a jury of industry professionals, that will look for powerful and innovative ideas, creativity and quality.
To find out more about who we are, our mission and history visit https://www.bigteethsmallshorts.com
Best Film - Small Short (91-sec - 5 min)
Best Film - Micro Short (90-sec or less)
People's Choice Award - Small Short (91-sec - 5 min)
People's Choice Award - Micro Short (90-sec or less)
- Length requirements:
- Small Short: 91 seconds minimum - 300 seconds (5 minutes) maximum
- Micro Short: 1 second minimum - 90 seconds maximum
- For each individual film you submit, we recommend entering in only one genre category (comedy. documentary, etc.) and tagging additional genres within your project on FilmFreeway, rather than entering the same film into multiple genre categories.
- If your credits add up to 10% or more of the length of your total film duration, we reserve the right to edit them for time if selected to be screened.
- If selected, we reserve the right to pull stills from your film to use in programming materials.
- Every single film submitted will be viewed by our screening team.
- Recommended sizes: 1080p
- There is no limit on number of submissions or production date.
- If your film is selected for the Big Teeth Small Shorts Film Festival (“BTSSFF”), you will receive free entry to our local screening in Chicago, IL. No travel expenses are included.
- Filmmakers hold sole responsibility for acquiring copyrights, licenses and releases for media used in their films and will indemnify and hold harmless BTSSFF and its owners, producers, sponsors, and employees against any claims brought against the foregoing as a result of Filmmakers’ failure to obtain the same.
- All films submissions must be submitted via FilmFreeway. NO DVDs or other media that need to be physically mailed will be accepted. All of the fields during the registration process on FilmFreeway.com must be completed or your submission will not be accepted.
- All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English unless dialogue is minimal and not necessary for the comprehension of the film.
- Filmmakers retain the rights to their films.
- Filmmakers agree that, upon official selection, their film can be played at any of BTSSFF's live screenings. The number of screenings the film appears in is at the sole discretion of BTSSFF.
- Filmmakers agree that, upon official selection, their film can be shown on BTSSFF digital channels with written (email) consent from the filmmaker.
- BTSSFF does not pay screening fees. Further, Filmmakers acknowledge that they are not entitled to any portion of the admission fees or other receipts received by BTSSFF in connection with any screening.
- BTSSFF reserves the right to disqualify any submission if it does not meet the requirements outlined.
Response from festival:
Thanks for participating as a filmmaker and attendee. It's great when people are able to see the show in person and experience their own film as part of our full show.
We appreciate the suggestion too on filmmakers having more time to connect - it's something we discuss and are always looking to do in a way that is beneficial to them but not a turn-off to other attendees. Perhaps we'll reach out to you before our next screening and have you give your thoughts on what would work best. We love to support our filmmakers in whatever way possible.
Hope to see you in June at the next BTSSFF!
Response from festival:
Thanks so much Pat. Your experience is exactly what we were hoping for. While the live screening wasn't our typical or ideal setup, we were proud to be able to pull it off safely and still give our filmmakers a proper audience.
We look forward to seeing you sometime in the future and hopefully screen more of your films! Oh, and Mrs. Rossi was a fan fave for sure.