The aim of the Festival is to present film productions of college and university students from all over the world to a wider audience, as well as a mutual exchange of creative experiences and integration of film schools. Public presentation of film works is a great opportunity for students to see the art and craft of their colleagues. It allows to exchange opinions on presented ideas and the artistic side of the films. It also provides opportunity to get your work appreciated by a professional jury and a large audience. Another goal of the festival and its accompanying events is an integration of the participants: joint discussions and fun. Węgiel Film Festival is a unique event, organized with great passion by the students of the second year of Film and Television Production course at the University of Silesia’s Krzysztof Kieslowski Faculty of Radio and Television. Year after year it enjoys increasing popularity well beyond the borders of our country.
The Festival is organized in Katowice, the capital city of Silesia, the region which is by many associated with heavy industry and coal mines. This is what gave the “Węgiel” Festival its special name.
Each year the Festival guests include many personalities of the Polish cinema associated with the Radio and Television Faculty, such as Professor Krzysztof Zanussi (film director) and Professor Jerzy Stuhr (actor and film director). For several years, festival has been an internationally recognized event due to many foreign films entering the annual competition.
Best Cinematographer's Short Film
I. General statements
1. 15th Węgiel Film Festival will take place in Katowice (Poland) from the 12th to the 13th of April 2018.
2. The festival is organized by students of Krzysztof Kieślowski Faculty of Radio and Television (University of Silesia in Katowice).
II. Competition requirements
1. The festival is open to student short film productions (the director must be a student during the shooting) from all over the world produced after the 1st of January 2016.
2. There is no limit to the amount of films that a filmmaker or film school may register.
3. Fiction, documentary, animated and experimental student films with a running time no longer than 30 min. in length are eligible.
4. In order to be admitted, the materials must be in English or presented with English subtitles.
5. The film’s submitter must own copyrights to the film and they must not violate third person’s copyrights, otherwise they will bear all the responsibility for it.
6. Festival organizer may add Polish subtitles to animated films.
7. The Festival does not pay screening fees as it is non-profit.
III. Submission of films
1. Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway and screeners must be password protected and not available for public online stream. All registrations are to be made online. It is no longer required to send a signed registration form.
2. The deadline for submission is 16th December 2017.
3. The film’s submission to the Festival is free of charge.
4. Once a film has been submitted for participation it cannot be withdrawn.
1. The festival will not confirm the receipt of submissions and preview copies. We kindly ask you to refrain from calling or emailing us to confirm the receipt of your material. All applicants will be notified via e-mail about the selection or rejection of their film until the 28th of February 2018.
2. Films have to be available for Festival screening on DCP, Blu-ray, Apple ProRes or MP4.
3. Copies of selected films must be sent before 15th March 2018. The address will be communicated later to the selected participants. The film copies will be sent back after the festival.
1. Films will be judged by the Jury, composed of professionals working in film industry.
2. The verdict will be announced during official ending ceremony.
3. The prizes will be granted in four categories:
- Best Film
- Best Directing
- Best Cinematography
- Best Cinematographer's Short Film
4. The Jury has right to grant Special Mentions.
5. The Audience’s Prize and The Organizer’s Prize will also be granted.
6. Only the award of honor will be sent if the author will not be present at the official ending ceremony.
7. Uncollected prizes (except of diplomas) are under disposal of the jury, and it may be granted to another film.
VI. Ending statements
1. The submission of the film is equivalent to acceptance of the regulations.
2. Festival organizer undertakes to comply with all laws relating to the use of films admitted to the competition.
3. The submitted film will be shown during the festival and its fragments may also be used in promotion materials (3 min. max).
4. The submitter of the film is responsible for all duties or taxes connected with sending the film to the festival.