*MAKE SURE TO READ THE RULES & TERMS BEFORE SUBMITTING*
The 9th annual Visions Film Festival & Conference is an event dedicated to undergraduate filmmakers and scholars. Visions, the only international film festival and conference run by undergraduates for undergraduates, will take place on April 11th-12th, 2019. Hosted by the University of North Carolina Wilmington’s Film Studies Department, Visions is an international event that unites a community of undergraduates and provides a supportive environment to showcase their work.
Our two-day event includes screenings, conference blocks, Q&A panels with filmmakers and scholars, as well as a 1 Hour/1 Take Video Race, all of which foster networking opportunities with attending guests and lead to valuable peer connections. In addition, we host a Visionary Panel and Keynote Address, which allow undergraduate students to connect with filmmakers and scholars already established in the industry. Visions 9 is dedicated to celebrating the ingenuity and diversity of student work.
Short films of all genres (including animation, documentary, experimental, narrative, and music video), as well as scholarly articles related to film and media studies, are encouraged for submission.
Only submissions from undergraduate filmmakers and scholars are taken into consideration.
Visions awards almost $15,000 in prizes to undergraduates every year, including travel grants. These travel grants enable over 70% of our presenters to attend Visions in person and present their work.
Previous awards have included camera and sound equipment packages, film and processing packages from Pro8mm Film, Cinelab and Kodak, as well as Animation Software from Toon Boom, Adobe Creative Suite subscriptions, and RedGIant suites. We have also awarded Film Festival Badges from the winner's home cities (i.e. Austin Film Festival, Cucalorus Film Festival, Virginia Film Festival, and more).
1. Film submissions are open to all undergraduate students whose films were completed
by an undergraduate key crew member (Director, Producer, Cinematographer, Editor, Screenwriter) during the allotted time period.
2. Films must be completed between January 2017 and January 2019.
3. Films can be no longer than 25 minutes altogether.
4. Works-in-progress or rough-cuts will not be accepted.
5. All films must be in English or have English subtitles. (Non-subtitled non-english dialogue films will not be considered.)
6. For your film to be considered, you must send proof of your Student Identification Card to the Programming Director, Marika Adair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. (PDF or JPEG)
7. For your film to be considered, please visit and complete this form before submitting on FIlmFreeway: https://goo.gl/forms/BeEn2IjZcz3UrX7j2
8. All films must be submitted as a password-protected Vimeo link and must stay hidden until the conclusion of the festival.
9. By submitting a film, the applicant states that he/she is authorized to submit the film as its Maker or an Agent of the Maker.
10. The applicant agrees that any physical materials submitted will not be returned.
11. The applicant agrees to allow Visions Film Festival & Conference to use the applicant’s name and any press materials, including stills/clips of the film, for festival promotion.
12. By submitting a film, the applicant agrees to the above rules and terms for film submissions.
1. To submit a presentation proposal, please visit and complete the form: https://goo.gl/forms/aTgh64DaFqug5P0I2
2. Presentation proposals are open to all undergraduate students whose abstracts are completed by an undergraduate student.
3. Papers must be completed between January 2017 and January 2019.
4. Works-in-progress will not be accepted.
5. All papers must meet MLA guidelines.
6. For your presentation proposal to be considered, you must send proof of your Student Identification Card to the Programming Director, Marika Adair, at email@example.com. (PDF or JPEG)
7. By submitting a presentation proposal, the applicant states that they are the author of the work and that any contributor(s) to the work has been cited.
8. The applicant agrees that any materials submitted will not be returned.
9. The applicant agrees to allow Visions Film Festival & Conference to use the applicant’s name and any press materials, including presentation excerpts, for festival promotion.
10. By submitting a presentation proposal, the applicant agrees to the above rules and terms for presentation proposal submissions.