The organizing and administrative team of Vancouver Independent Film Festival, have started their activities in Canada from 10 years ago, in the form of a successful collaboration between Vancouver-based Pacific United Production , and 24 frames company in Canada. Since the commencement of this cooperation, a countless number of events, from screenings and stage performances to appreciation nights, galas and cruise trips on opening and closing ceremonies have been successfully executed in Vancouver. Following the remarkable success in organizing events in Vancouver, the need and demand for a Festival in Vancouver became prominent, and with specific attention to the diverse population in Vancouver, the decision was made to organize and execute a genuine international film festival, to cover all the nationalities and communities in Vancouver and at a greater extent, in Northern America.
What have been created was Vancouver Independent Film Festival which has both a seasonal and yearly structure with both online and physical screenings. At the end of each season, the jury selects the winners of each category through private screenings. The winners of each season "might" be then considered for yearly competition; if they get selected by the programming committee , they will be shown and compete with other films-winners at the yearly event. The location of the festival is Kay Meek Art Centre.
We hope to have the fifth edition of the yearly festival in late March 2021, but all depends on the Covid's situation in BC. If we manage to have a physical event, the official selection nominees are more than welcome to attend our annual screening event and red carpet ceremony. Winners will be announced on our website and social media pages every season.
Best International Narrative Short
Best Canadian Narrative Short
Best Documentary Short
Best Animated Short
Best Experimental Short
Best Micro Short
Best Covid 19 Film
Best Student Short Film
Best Music Video
Best Actor in Short
Best Actress in Short
Best Ensemble Acting in Short
Best Female Directing in Short
Best Male Directing in Short
Best Script in Short
Best Editing in Short
Best Music in Short
Best Canadian Feature Film
Best Canadian Documentary
Best International Feature Film
Best Human Right's Film
Best Female Directing in Feature Film
Best Male Directing in Feature Film
Best Actor in Feature Film
Best Actress in Feature Film
Best Music in Feature Film
Best Cinematography in Feature Film
Best Long Feature Script
Best Human Right's Film
Best Social Justice Film
Best LGBT'S Film
Best Environmentalist Film
Best Women's issue Film
Best Culinary Film
Best First Time Filmmaker
Best Dark Comedy
Best Web Series
Best TV Pilot
A) Eligibility Requirements
1. Films completed on or after Jan 1, 2017 are eligible for consideration
2. Feature-length films that are available for public online viewing are not eligible.
3. Films shown at private screenings not open to the public (for crew, investors, etc.) are eligible.
4. All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English. Dialogue lists are not accepted.
5. Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry to the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
B) Submission Guidelines
1. Feature-length films must be submitted via online screener hosted by Vimeo, on DVD or on Blu-ray disc.
2. Only complete entries (including fee payment and screener) will be considered.
3. Entrants are permitted to submit works-in-progress (i.e., without final color correction or sound mixing), but please note that the programming committee will only consider the version submitted. Subsequent cuts or replacement copies will only be accepted at the request of the programming committee.
4. To qualify for student entry fee rates, entrant must include proof of student status at the time of production (copy of student ID, transcript, etc.)
5. All films selected for the Festival will screen on Bluray/DCP unless otherwise arranged by the submitting filmmaker and programming team.
The cost of shipping an entry to the Festival must be paid by the entrant. Collect or COD shipments will not be accepted. All international entries must be sent “free domicile” to the Festival office with all transportation charges, duties, and taxes prepaid by the shipper.
D) Judging & Selection
If a film is selected, the Festival office will contact the entrant by phone or email. The Festival does not provide feedback or screening notes to entries that are not selected.
All competitive film categories are judged during the Festival.
F) Entry Fees
Each entry must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. Entry fees are not refundable. Fees cover registration, registration notification, consideration by the programming department, and notification of the results. These fees may be paid by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or American Express).