Create a music video of the song VOTE composed by Allan Nicholls.
Here is a link to the song:
Message from Allan Nicholls:
Forty years ago I wrote a “Get out the Vote” song for Robert Altman’s film Health. As his
collaborator for many years, we re-recorded and re-purposed the song many times. First, for the Robert Altman/Garry Trudeau HBO political satire series Tanner ‘88 and then again for the Sundance Channel’s sequel Tanner on Tanner in 2004.
Now, during this pause in our careers and in the midst of tremendous challenges for our
country, I have felt the need to both encourage fellow filmmakers and to drive change. I
came up with the concept of a challenge to filmmakers to make a music video using
elements of the song “VOTE.”
I’m delighted that the Vermont International Film Festival has agreed to be the main
sponsor of the competition and has incorporated the concept into the 2020 Festival
VTIFF Vote Music Video Competition
- The panel of judges will represent diverse walks of life. The judges' decisions are final.
- The winning films will premiere before the 2020 Vermont International Film Festival, at an outdoor physical screening (Subject to Vermont's health and safety regulations at that time). They may also screen at other locations throughout the country.
1st prize $750 sponsored by Upper Valley Arts
2nd prize $500 sponsored by Bill Stetson
3rd prize $300 sponsored by anonymous
- Youth (18 and Under) prize $250 sponsored by the Freedom & Unity Young Filmmakers Contest
More prizes to be announced
- Use all of the song, or a part of it, or re-record it.
- Use found footage, new footage, or create footage.
- Use your artistic, intellectual and emotional license to create the style and substance
- Maximum time length is 3 minutes, from opening to credits.
- The use of Allan Nicholl's music is given to be used freely only in conjunction with your video.
- If using found footage, entrants are responsible for obtaining any necessary licenses, royalties, release forms, clearances and permits necessary to present their work.
- This competition is open to anyone, anywhere
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
You hereby affirm that you are the authorized representative for the above mentioned film [as noted on the entry form]. You grant the Vermont International Film Festival all rights necessary to exhibit and promote the above-referenced film, if selected, at the 2020 Festival, October 2020 - precise date TBD. You represent that such exhibition will not violate or infringe upon any rights whatsoever (including copyright, trademark, musical or contract right) of any person or entity.