VAF is Denmark’s largest international animation festival and a celebration of all things animated. The VAF film program is all about presenting great film experiences, where the audience meets and experiences the artists' desire to tell stories and to experiment with animation as craftsmanship.
In addition to the film program VAF also presents workshops, exhibitions, talks, cultural events and an vast industry track featuring seminars and conferences.
VAF is a non profit festival and is held each year at the end of September in Viborg, region of Jutland, Denmark.
VAF Best Feature €1500
VAF Best Short €1000
VAF Best Experimental Short Film €700
VAF Best Student Film €700
ANIMOK Youth Jury Award €500
ANIDOX:VR Award (submission via https://anidox.com/anidoxvr/)
1. It is eligible for any film created frame by frame, in any technique (analogue, digital or mixed).
2. All genres are welcome.
3. Language: All films must have English subtitles also when the spoken language is English.
4. Duration of the film:
Feature Film: min. 40 minutes.
Short Film: max. 25 minutes.
Experimental Short Film: max. 15 minutes
Student Film: max. 15 minutes
ANIMOK Youth Jury - Short films for children: max. 15 minutes
5. Film must be completed in 2020 or 2021
6. VAF does not accept re-submissions from previous years
7. Films can be submitted for more than one category, e.g. VAF Best Short and VAF Best Experimental.
8. The applicant should not charge screening fees to the festival, regarding the screening of films in competition.
9. Only online digital submission.
10. For cinema screening formats must be PRORES. For selection screening low quality copies are accepted.
11. No promotional films (e.g. educational, industrial, advertising, tourist films etc.)
Entrants will be notified of the selection result no later than mid-June 2021
The VAF team will organize a selection committee to be in charge of the final selection for the competitions. Afterwards the VAF team will select a jury for each competition, all consisting of three members. The juries will be awarding prizes to the films in competition.
If your film is selected we will need this:
1. The film in PRORES for cinema screenings.
2. Hardcoded English subtitles, if the film has dialogue.
3. A press kit including: Short resume of the film, bio about the director, high res stills from film and photo of the director
4. That all film and music rights and clearances have been obtained by the filmmakers (In accordance with copyright laws)
5. Relevant social media handles, if any.
We will send out more information on email
VAF is authorized to use a short excerpt of the film (min. 1 minute) in a radio, TV, social media and/or video program presenting Viborg International Animation Festival.
VAF is authorized to screen the winning films from VAF21 as part of a special screenings of VAF21 in cities in Denmark.