Moments of Cretan villagers
when tradition falls in love with emotions
George Dryjohn Official Ricoh Imaging (Pentax) Ambassador Greece & CyprusPhotographer
Country of Origin:Greece
Professional Freelance Photographer residing in Heraklion, Crete. I am the Official Ricoh (Pentax) Grand Ambassador in Greece and Cyprus. For the past few years, I have been a charity photographer in Greece as well as abroad. I am the founder of Photoaid Greece, a group active throughout Greece on a voluntary basis. My photographic motivation and goal is to capture the moment in image, just as it is emotionally expressed.
I studied photography at Athens Art studio and at Creativelive, and I obtained different specializations from acclaimed photographers, such as Marios Theologis (commercial & portraits), Stilianos Papardelas (street photography), Andrew Billington (social photography), Lucas Vassilikos (people & arts), Maro Kouri (photojournalism) and others.
I also studied body language and Interior design
‘The Hour of Pan”
Eikon Films, Germany
1,5-month duration at Chania and Sfakia region
"Your Real Estate Photography" Workshop
Organizer: Shortstay Conference Greece
-“Story on a plate”
• Food & Photography workshop. (2 days)
• Organizer: Taste Academy IEK, Ηράκλειο Κρήτης.
• Pentax Workshop, organized by Greek Photography Institution (EFE) in Heraklion.
• Food and drink Commercial Photography (level 1) organized by The Black Book Hospitality Moderators in Heraklion Crete.
PARTICIPATION IN COLLECTIVE AND
• “(Ι)sland” Collective photographic exhibition (Athens) with the participation of distinguished photographs from the Panhellenic photography competition of the same name. Curator: IFocus Photo Gallery.
• The Art of social media. Collective photographic worldwide exhibition (Vasiliki Saint Marc, Heraklion) Curator: Imonline.
• Photografistas II. Collective photographic exhibition (Thessaloniki-Ioannina-Athens and elsewhere) Organized by: P31.
• Trust me I am a photographer. Collective photographic exhibition (Athens) Curator: Ifocus.
• Childhood moments. Collective photographic exhibition (Volos, Tsalapata) Curator: G Makridis.
• Perspectives (Athens, Trii art) Curator: P. Kasimis.
• One Oeuvre, Personal Exhibition. Hacienda Café, Heraklion. Curators: Giorgos Xirogiannis.
• The Guests. Exhibition of Street Art Photography of young refugees. Heraklion, Vikelea Public
Instructor/curator : Giorgos Xirogiannis.
• Life in my hands. Personal Exhibition. (Heraklion, Vikelaia Public Library) Curator: IFocus Athens.
• Support, Curator of the Pan-Cretan anti-war collective photographic exhibition with the support of the Municipality of Heraklion. Loggia, Heraklion.
• “What is summer for you”. Collective photographic exhibition (Athens) with the participation of distinguished photographs from the Panhellenic photography competition of the same name. Curator: IFocus Photo Gallery.
DISTINCTIONS and AWARDS
Distinction in the national photographic contest (I) sland organized by Ifocus into the world of photography.
Second place in the B&W International photo contest of Black and White photography group UK (competition: minimal art graphic abstract)
Second place in the national photographic contest “Photometria” with the theme “mental health”.
Distinction in the international Pentax users competition (Pentaxians Yearbook 2020) and participation in the album.
Second place in the audience awards in the category ‘storytelling’ (competition: The art of social media international photo contest).
Distinction in the International photo contest The Art of social media organized by Imonline.
My photos are regularly selected by and featured in well known photographic websites.
My photo album HANDS ON was rendered into a dance-drama performance with the same title. organized by NotForSale.
Photographic feature story for the magazine ‘Wedding and Baptism’ (issue: March 2020)
Photo cover Pentaxians Ricoh Imaging yearbook 2019 organized by Ricoh Imaging.
“Thessaloniki in 45 pictures”. Distinction award for a street photography at a Panhellenic Photographic Project organized by Athens Voice.
• Presentation of my photographic work as Official Pentax (Ricoh imaging) grand ambassador organised by Greek Photographic Society of Crete.
• Shooting people-Helping people (volunteerism and photography) organized by the evening high school of Heraklion.
• Photography & Mental States., Presentation of portraits - speech at the Venizeleio-Pananeio Hospital on the World Day for Mental Health.
• Shooting people-Helping people. Presentation of my work and speech on photography and volunteerism at the Serbian Belgrade refugee camp.
• Shooting people-Helping people Presentation of work and speech on photography and volunteerism at the Greek Photographic Society, branch of Chania.
• Member of Notforsale Art Net (http://www.norforsale.com/art-net/melh-nfs/716-giorgos_xirogiannis.html)
• «The man behind the mask» Participation in the creation of an album.
Agency: KETHE ARIADNI (unit for people with psychiatric comorbidity) Heraklion
PHOTO – NEWS COVER
-Sunrise at the fish market of Keratsini – newspaper Athens Voice (Link)
-With eyes turned on the orchard of Virgin Mary, Mount Athos – New York Hellenic daily news (https://hellenicdailynews.com/en/2019/03/03/with-eyes-turned-on-the-orchard-of-virgin-mary-mount-athos/)
-Mount Athos- newspaper Athens Voice (https://www.athensvoice.gr/life/travel/greece/526878_agio-oros-den-dinei-rantevoy-45-eikones-toy-giorgoy-xirogianni?fbclid=IwAR0ZRpMjD67kxCJPeviBH5vm-v-0xgrArcpJBRg5Fh_hxsT_JdAiPpLcvrg)
The New Hellenic Times https://thenewhellenictimes.com/giorgos-xirogiannis-o-ellinas-poy-mas-taxideyei-me-ton-fako-toy/
Made with love ANDRIANI KRITI TV (Link)
• “An holistic approach in photography” organized by IEK (Institute of Vocational Training) OMIROS and presented by Marios Theologis.
• “Photography in research journalism and in documentaries” organized by IEK OMIROS and presented by Marios Theologis.
• “Artistic photography” held in Heraklion, Crete and presented by Lucas Vassilikos.
• “Introduction in artistic photography” in Archanes Crete presented by Marios Theologis (Photographer)
• Still Life- Food and drink Commercial Photography organized by Orama studies in Athens and presented by Maro Kouri(Photojournalist)
• “Lightroom advanced’’ held in Athens and presented by Vaggelis Liolis (Graphic Designer).
• “Food and drink commercial photography” - Still Life organized by IFocus in Athens and presented by Konstantinos Delhas (Photographer).
• “Lightroom advanced” organized by IFocus in Athens and presented by Aris Loukissis (Photographer)